News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 John Laidlar being too modest again

Author Topic: John Laidlar being too modest again  (Read 2396 times)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: February 24, 2008, 10:01:11 AM »

When he mentioned the 442 account of the Droylsden match the other week he included this remark on the official website

ANDY ON ALTY
Well-known football writer Andy Mitten (and also Josh Mitten's brother) has now produced his account of attending the Droylsden v Alty game last Saturday. It can be found on the 4-4-2 blog and it includes the following comment on the Robins' travelling support- "Their proud history was recalled in a superb song by the 600 travelling fans in the 1,177 crowd when, to the tune of Lionel Ritchie’s Three Times a Lady, they sang: 'We’ve been once, twice… three times to Wembley… and you’ve won the Manchester Cup'".

However, what he hasn't mentioned is something else in the article....

The Robins do have one of the best websites in football though – a real labour of love by webmaster John Laidlar. Lower-level football would struggle without men like him.

Hear Hear.  :)

Aussie Bob

Re: John Laidlar being too modest again
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 11:47:42 AM »

bloody oath its the best thing an exile could ever ask for... the best  conf website full stop ....anyone who takes on a website on this has  to have a real passions for Alty and  a lot of time and patience..... what more could i ask for ?

Bath Alty

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 06:20:26 PM »

That website is what rekindled my interest in Alty, after 20 odd of my 30 year life away from Alty it was purely a case of watching for the scores on the vidiprinter (plus Wembley and Spurs away second time round!) - then came Altrinchamfc.co.uk and suddenly I know who the players were, had decent match reports and was keen to watch us play again.  It is indeed an exile's dream.

Thank you Sir Laidlar.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 06:46:31 PM »

That website is what rekindled my interest in Alty, after 20 odd of my 30 year life away from Alty it was purely a case of watching for the scores on the vidiprinter (plus Wembley and Spurs away second time round!) - then came Altrinchamfc.co.uk and suddenly I know who the players were, had decent match reports and was keen to watch us play again.  It is indeed an exile's dream.

Thank you Sir Laidlar.

I second that. Its almost a lifeline for us exiles.

Longman

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 06:51:10 PM »

Thanks for your continued dedication for us Alty fans Mr Laidlar.

markecky

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 07:01:39 PM »

I start refreshing about 10:30 to get a full roundup of everything I want to know.

When you consider that John ( and his wife Dana who I think is chief researcher) doesn't get a penny for it..his dedication is incredible.

Bath Alty

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 07:19:18 PM »

I'm often able to tell the Weymouth fan in the office things from our site about his own club before they appear on their website!

Hamilton

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 10:59:46 PM »

More JL class: "Congratulations to Altrincham FC Chairman, Geoff Goodwin, who celebrated his 50th birthday with a party at the Cresta Court Hotel on Saturday night. Reports that Geoff has aged 20 years since taking over as Chairman at Moss Lane have been denied by 23 year-old Altrincham FC Matchday Secretary, George Heslop. "
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team