News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Portsmouth in Conference?

Author Topic: Portsmouth in Conference?  (Read 3144 times)

JonnyKeen

« on: March 07, 2010, 11:49:58 PM »

The Guardian reports that "Next month it is a big day out at Wembley for potless Portsmouth – and next season they could be playing at Westleigh Park, Havant. A "Plan B" has been drawn up whereby, if Pompey go into liquidation, they will drop down to non-League football in a groundshare with near neighbours Havant & Waterlooville...
'Of course we want to stay at Fratton Park but nobody knows who owns it and whether that would be viable', said Brendon Bone of the Pompey Supporters Trust... If the club cease to exist, the Trust would start a new one. They could still call themselves Portsmouth FC as... the Premier League club trade under the name of Portsmouth City Football Club... ...

Havant & Waterlooville are keen on sharing – Portsmouth play reserve matches at Westleigh Park – and Pompey are confident of being admitted into the Conference next season.... Bone said: 'There is no precedent for a club of our size going out of business, and we think we would be admitted into the Conference... clubs in lower leagues wouldn't be able to cope'".

On the tiny chance this happened to United does that mean they'd be groundsharing with us?

jimmyhank

Re: Portsmouth in Conference?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 11:54:34 PM »

United's debt is estimated to rise to about £1 billion by 2017 so you never know!

baldrick

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 09:56:26 AM »

I will be very amused if Portsmouth go bust. I remember them laughing at Aldershot when they folded. Spike Milligan was right to put them in room 101. Horrible little place.

fuertes

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 10:14:02 AM »

I will be very amused if Portsmouth go bust. I remember them laughing at Aldershot when they folded. Spike Milligan was right to put them in room 101. Horrible little place.

I'd forgotten about that. Wasn't it Portsmouth where he did a show, the crowd were really unresponsive and ultimately negative, so he finished it by saying "f**k you all!"?  :D

I don't like Portsmouth much either. They have a real moron element in their following too, I'd sooner they stayed out of the BSP.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 10:54:23 AM »

The Guardian reports that "Next month it is a big day out at Wembley for potless Portsmouth – and next season they could be playing at Westleigh Park, Havant. A "Plan B" has been drawn up whereby, if Pompey go into liquidation, they will drop down to non-League football in a groundshare with near neighbours Havant & Waterlooville...
'Of course we want to stay at Fratton Park but nobody knows who owns it and whether that would be viable', said Brendon Bone of the Pompey Supporters Trust... If the club cease to exist, the Trust would start a new one. They could still call themselves Portsmouth FC as... the Premier League club trade under the name of Portsmouth City Football Club... ...

Havant & Waterlooville are keen on sharing – Portsmouth play reserve matches at Westleigh Park – and Pompey are confident of being admitted into the Conference next season.... Bone said: 'There is no precedent for a club of our size going out of business, and we think we would be admitted into the Conference... clubs in lower leagues wouldn't be able to cope'".

On the tiny chance this happened to United does that mean they'd be groundsharing with us?
[/b]

Jen and Helen would need a hand behind the bar  ;) :D

jimmyhank

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 04:33:21 PM »

Yes, Portsmouth is a bit odd. However, the view from the top of the Spinnaker tower is pretty cool.

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 04:43:05 PM »

Yes, Portsmouth is a bit odd. However, the view from the top of the Spinnaker tower is pretty cool.

Isn't he the guy who used to play for England and now presents Match of the Day ?

I didn't realise they'd built a tower in his honour? and in Portsmouth of all places?

You'd have thought Leicester was a much better place for such a monument ?

jimmyhank

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 04:51:21 PM »

Not a bag of crisps in sight either!

York Alty

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 08:53:20 PM »

we had all this nadgers about southampton in the BSP last summer.  Didn't happen and this won't happen either.

London clubs don't like Pompey as it's the only club in the south that has a northern atmosphere i.e noisy and gritty.

Aussie Bob

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 03:36:48 AM »

Why would they presume they would be admitted to Conference just because they are a "big club" ?? they will be an ex big club if they apply to the conference and why would the conference accept them ?

Good job Southampton and Porstmouth arent both in the Conference that would be carnage....

Dougals Dad

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 08:46:50 AM »

we had all this nadgers about southampton in the BSP last summer.  Didn't happen and this won't happen either.

London clubs don't like Pompey as it's the only club in the south that has a northern atmosphere i.e noisy and gritty.

but no disused coal mines!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 09:43:03 AM by Jennifers Dad »

Stockportalty

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 08:54:55 AM »

Does Havant and Waterlooville's ground meet the spec for our league, if not then they won't be in the conference will they.

taxi Phil

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 06:07:01 PM »

Does Havant and Waterlooville's ground meet the spec for our league, if not then they won't be in the conference will they.

They're in Conference South, so one would think so.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team