PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Jackie Swindells
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Jackie Swindells  (Read 6359 times)

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Jackie Swindells
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 09:39:33 AM »

i somehow connect jackie swindells to a game against goole i think the score was was 4-2 to alty it must have been 72 / 73 was it just a tribute to the great man or did i dream it or am i confused has drink drugs and rock and roll taken its toll

I think that the answer is probably contained in the latter stages of your post oh fleet footed one ::)

The game you are referring to must have been before 1972/3 as Jackie was playing for Radcliffe Borough then.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 11:52:34 AM »

One of my first games too.
And now, thanks to a kindly Cult who may wish to remain anonymous, I've not only got my programme from the match but another signed by the great man himself!
A truly irreplaceable souvenir.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 10:02:43 AM »

Only saw the great man play once - for Radcliffe against us in an FA Cup tie in 72. Perfect result in that we won 3-2 after being 2 down at HT - both scored by Jackie. I know we already have a number of end of season awards but a Jackie Swindells trophy for the seasons top scorer might be an idea?

That's a good idea!

Without wishing to appear pedantic, didn't Jackie get just one goal that day?

Oooh, it's the battle of the Alty stattos. JTH's memory is fixed in the 1970's so it's unlikely that he's wrong. He can probably name the Radcliffe team, tell you who was number 1 that week and whose party he went to after the game.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 10:27:45 AM »

Only saw the great man play once - for Radcliffe against us in an FA Cup tie in 72. Perfect result in that we won 3-2 after being 2 down at HT - both scored by Jackie. I know we already have a number of end of season awards but a Jackie Swindells trophy for the seasons top scorer might be an idea?

That's a good idea!

Without wishing to appear pedantic, didn't Jackie get just one goal that day?

Oooh, it's the battle of the Alty stattos. JTH's memory is fixed in the 1970's so it's unlikely that he's wrong. He can probably name the Radcliffe team, tell you who was number 1 that week and whose party he went to after the game.

My recollection is that another Radcliffe player scored the first & Jackie Swindells made it 2-0 with a header.I think that it was 2-0 at Half Time & I have a feeling that Andy Windsor got a second half hat-trick to take us through to a Third qualifying Round game at Ashton United which we won 3-1.We eventually succumbed to Notts County in the First Round through a late(82nd minute??) penalty from Kevin Randall(?) after John Unsworth had been penalised for handball.That was the day I first met JTH as he was a Ballboy & I made my Ballboying debut!

Now you can't get more interesting than that!!!

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 11:44:59 AM »

that notts county game was my first time at alty at 10 years old.
i also know who jth is now!

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2008, 02:19:12 PM »

The second goal for Radcliffe was definitely scored by Jackie Swindells - Frankish came out to claim a corner at the Golf Road end and Swindells got to it first to head it in.  I'm "sure" he got the first one as well, although this may simply be wishful thinking (but wishful thinking I've been indulging in now for over 30 years).

I do remember a roar from the crowd more akin to an Alty goal as we paid tribute to the master!

When older gentlemen such as myself go on about just how good he was, I can well imagine that younger fans do not believe the stories.  But 82 goals in season do not happen by themselves.

By the way, he was Accrington Stanley's leading scorer the season they got thrown out of the league in 62-63

I do hope he gets well soon

Swindells60

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2008, 01:34:27 AM »

Think it was 7 goals and it was the Cheshire Senoir Cup Final.  He was having carpets fitted at home and his wife and family were in the stand sitting with the owner of the carpet shop.  The poor fellow offered his wife a free rug if Jack scored a hat trick - the hat trick and free rug were soon in the bag.  The poor man then made the offer of a further rug if he scored another hat trick - the second rug was soon in the bag.  Barbara, his wife then suggested that if he were to score a further hat trick the rugs could be traded for the carpet being free - the request was swiftly turned down.
As for the goals the 6th or maybe 7th was a penalty - Jack felt so sorry for the goalkeeper he told him exactly where eh was going to put it - true to his word it went exactly where he had indicated - the goalkeeper dived the other way!!! I was there that day.
As for the sending off - Bob Lord was chair of the disciplinary committee who headr the appeal and not only was the sending off quashed the referee was given a real earbashing from Bob Lord for sending Jack off in the first place! I was there the day he got sent off too!
As for namng something after him why not name a stand after him.  After all it was the success of the team of the 60s that brought about the development of the ground as it is.  Maybe in light of the news about Freddie Pye the mainstand could be the Freddie Pye Stand and the Stand behind the left hand goal be named the Jackie Swindells Stand.  It would be great to be able to invite him to the naming of the stands now that he is on the mend.
He was a true gent as a player and remains a true gent in life.

Railway Alty

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2008, 08:09:08 AM »

the mainstand could be the Freddie Pye Stand and the Stand behind the left hand goal be named the Jackie Swindells Stand
Brilliant idea but maybe Jackies stand should be the popular stand as the "Golf road "stand is named after a fundraiser each year
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Jackie Swindells