PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Jackie Swindells
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Jackie Swindells  (Read 6360 times)

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Jackie Swindells
« on: March 07, 2008, 11:04:56 AM »

I am sadened to hear that Alty legend Jackie is seriously ill in Hospital (Truro) and i would like to wish him well,i remember his goals including the 6 at sealand Road against Chester reserves in the Cheshire League.Get well Jackie
Harold

Alty365

Re: Jackie Swindells
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 11:23:50 AM »

Get well soon Jackie!

I don't know if this has ever been considered before, but I can't believe that such a club legend hasn't been immortalised in some way eg. by naming something after him - be it a stand or some other aspect of the club. We have the "Noel White Suite" so I feel that our club record goalscorer (and a true gent with it) deserves something similar. Any thoughts?

Alex

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 11:33:21 AM »

if we could afford it we should build a statue of the great man inside the ground or at least a plaque

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 11:48:16 AM »

Very best wishes Jackie - get well very soon. You were an absolute legend for the Supers and a true gentleman.

I remember the occasion when he was sent off in a match at Great Harwood in a case of mistaken identity. Even the Great Harwood management team went to the hearing to defend him saying that he would never commit a sending off offence! He got off.

Can't see that happening too often in today's football climate.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Butty

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 03:56:40 PM »

Only a young fan, but heard stories about him and the fact he is the club's record goalscorer sums him up. Get well soon.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 06:54:20 PM »

Jackie is probably the most famous of Alty heros and his name and achievemnts put us on the map.
A goal scoring record that will never be repeated.
My PE Teacher, Keith Madeley at BTH played at Full back for Chester in the above mentioned thrashing.
I would like to see some visual recognition at Moss Lane - its long overdue

Best Wishes Jackie and Get Well soon

Dougals Dad

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 07:25:19 PM »

I remember being told about Jackie by the dad of a pal of mine. He had seen him play for Alty against Ellesmere Port and could not praise him highly enough.

All the very best Jackie, get well soon

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 11:42:16 AM »

Only saw the great man play once - for Radcliffe against us in an FA Cup tie in 72. Perfect result in that we won 3-2 after being 2 down at HT - both scored by Jackie. I know we already have a number of end of season awards but a Jackie Swindells trophy for the seasons top scorer might be an idea?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 12:49:24 PM »

Only saw the great man play once - for Radcliffe against us in an FA Cup tie in 72. Perfect result in that we won 3-2 after being 2 down at HT - both scored by Jackie. I know we already have a number of end of season awards but a Jackie Swindells trophy for the seasons top scorer might be an idea?

Excellent proposal.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 01:35:27 PM »

That's a good idea!

Without wishing to appear pedantic, didn't Jackie get just one goal that day?

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 02:03:58 PM »

Regrettably I never saw Jackie play, my first game, aged 9, was a home game against Ellesmere PT in august 71 I think, 4-2 win anyone, some old guy at the front of the Golf Rd gave me a Blue Ribbon biscuit! I believe JS finished at Alty the season previously am I right fellow old timers? Johnny Worth, Derek Halliwell, Brian Taylor, Dennis Fidler, Willie Mailey are the players I remember from those days.

Btw, that old guy who gave me a biscuit is probably part of the reason I'm still following Alty, strange what you remember isn't it?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 03:21:36 PM by SW »
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 02:43:36 PM »

fisished before i started but anyone older than us would always be going on about jackie swindells, in much the same way we do about jeff johnson. a  true legend.

SW these days that bloke would get arrested

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 02:47:02 PM »

Ha ha, Jim, true enough but I'm sure he meant well!
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

thegazelle

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 02:51:39 PM »

i somehow connect jackie swindells to a game against goole i think the score was was 4-2 to alty it must have been 72 / 73 was it just a tribute to the great man or did i dream it or am i confused has drink drugs and rock and roll taken its toll

JackSwindells No 1 Fan

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 10:09:04 PM »

Saw the great man play often.
First time my first game at Moss Lane the FA Cup thrashing of Scarboro - Jackie only scored 5 of them - for many years I recall that three of them were the joint faster hat-trick in the FA Cup. Touched his sweaty red and white shir at the endf that day - life changed that moment.
Alty til I die!
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Jackie Swindells