News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Cambridgeshire Police estimate 8000

Author Topic: Cambridgeshire Police estimate 8000  (Read 4308 times)

Scottie

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« on: April 21, 2009, 09:24:14 AM »

Have spoken to a pal who works for Cambridgeshire Police who are estimating a crowd of around 8000 for Alty's visit. This has also been confirmed when I went to book my coach travel yesterday at the club. If Burton loose and they beat us with a hat full of goals then they go up so a big crowd is on the cards. This seems a massive estimate and I personally think a crowd of around 4000 is more realistic. If the crowd was 8000 would this be Alty's biggest league crowd of all time ?

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Cambridgeshire Police estimate 8000
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 09:45:14 AM »

They've already had a few league gates of over 4000 this season so if they are in with a chance of the league title I don't see why 8000 is unrealistic.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

Dougals Dad

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 09:50:54 AM »

Good day for an Alty win then!

radcliffe alty

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 09:58:27 AM »

Clearly the draw of the Cheshire Champions coming to town is a big one for the locals!

Dougals Dad

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 10:09:07 AM »

"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

(with thanks to Saughull Robin)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 10:10:45 AM by Jennifers Dad »

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 10:14:00 AM »

Yes, JD, a repeat of that might be too much to ask (although I did enjoy that match - especially as we came from a goal behind, I seem to remember!) but any result there would be fabulous.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Dougals Dad

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 10:29:46 AM »

I wasn't born then!!!!

Reminds me of when I went to Chester College and realised my calculator was older than some of my fellow students!

markecky

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 11:05:40 AM »

I think there was 9,00 at Colchester when we drew with them 1-1

Lets hope the police don't do what they did that day and let home fans in the away end as it was full.  The 20 squaddies made there presence felt!

There could be 7,000 I reckon but they will be disappointed as Burton will draw at Torquay.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 11:23:31 AM »

Lets hope the police don't do what they did that day and let home fans in the away end as it was full.  The 20 squaddies made there presence felt!

There could be 7,000 I reckon but they will be disappointed as Burton will draw at Torquay.

Ahh yes, I remember that. Weren't they Chelsea fans and not even Colchester at all? At any rate, I remember informing a member of the local constabulary that a group had come in just before KO who were not from Alty and was told to mind my own business. When it kicked off I went up to said constable and informed him how it could have been avoided, at which point I was told that if I did not shut up, I'd be arrested. At least I only received a passing blow (keep it clean) for my troubles.....and not from said occifer of the law, I hasten to add.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Altyroo

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 01:50:47 PM »

Ah yes i remember that Colchester match. Alty end did seem a tad full and where did that awful southern accent come from. Yes definately chelsea fans.
Oh what a season that was.

mr f.trucker

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 06:15:29 PM »

What memories,Colchester away,lots of bruises.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 07:25:08 PM »

Ahh yes, I remember that. Weren't they Chelsea fans and not even Colchester at all? At any rate, I remember informing a member of the local constabulary that a group had come in just before KO who were not from Alty and was told to mind my own business. When it kicked off I went up to said constable and informed him how it could have been avoided, at which point I was told that if I did not shut up, I'd be arrested. At least I only received a passing blow (keep it clean) for my troubles.....and not from said occifer of the law, I hasten to add.

I haven't had a c**t all night drinkstable!

WiganAlty

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 07:42:06 PM »

Presumably this will mean we have to get to the pub for opening time to make sure we get a drink on Sunday??

Over to you Mr Bradshaw to reserve our spot from Saturday night onwards!!

Longman

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 07:44:47 PM »

It's a shame it's not at our place as they would have brought a few thousand and given us a much needed cash injection!

York Alty

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 10:44:48 PM »

think there was 7odd K at the colchester game.

the glorious british bobbys made a right mess of that.

luckily these days we can monitor them, monitoring us...

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team