News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Retained list announced

Author Topic: Retained list announced  (Read 512 times)

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Retained list announced
« Reply #1 on: Today at 01:48:34 PM »

pretty much as expected, we need to strengthen and improve the squad now. Slightly larger as well with the extra subs available next season.

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:00:34 PM »

Hancox going tells me we are signing Croasdale, that's all it can mean. Stop it, I'm right ok.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:38:15 PM »

Observations:

- no huge surprises, apart from the sense of bewilderment that we don't have to sign a full squad from scratch this year...?
- glad we could invite James Jones and Justin Donawa back for pre-season given their injuries; it wouldn't have sat right with me just to release them.
- also pleased we've offered Matty Kosylo terms; I did wonder how brutal we'd be with players not considered automatic starters but he's still got much to give us.
- relieved that Regan Linney is under contract as he's one I'd been a bit concerned about; same with Elliot Osborne so it'll be interesting to see if he signs the contract (maybe his age / new young family commitments might mean a change in circumstances for him?)
- we now have clarity that Mooney and Hancox were on short term deals to cover our absentees, we should be thankful to both for their contribution but neither showed enough to suggest a longer term role.

Let the search for fresh blood begin...

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Today at 02:47:04 PM »

Observations:

- no huge surprises, apart from the sense of bewilderment that we don't have to sign a full squad from scratch this year...?
- glad we could invite James Jones and Justin Donawa back for pre-season given their injuries; it wouldn't have sat right with me just to release them.
- also pleased we've offered Matty Kosylo terms; I did wonder how brutal we'd be with players not considered automatic starters but he's still got much to give us.
- relieved that Regan Linney is under contract as he's one I'd been a bit concerned about; same with Elliot Osborne so it'll be interesting to see if he signs the contract (maybe his age / new young family commitments might mean a change in circumstances for him?)
- we now have clarity that Mooney and Hancox were on short term deals to cover our absentees, we should be thankful to both for their contribution but neither showed enough to suggest a longer term role.

How does Joey Jones release sit with you?
Full time and proud of it

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:55:16 PM »

Observations:

How does Joey Jones release sit with you?

That's a good point - clearly the management know more than me and feel confident that James and Justin can earn themselves a new deal and perhaps that isn't so much the case with Joey for whatever reason.

Ultimately all three are free to look for new clubs and I'd be surprised if all three make it to pre-season as they have themselves to look after first and foremost.

Good luck to all the players moving on.
« Last Edit: Today at 03:03:07 PM by MarpleAlty »

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Today at 03:14:31 PM »

I think, overall, it's what we all felt needed to happen.
A very sensible series of decisions which has left three or four places available for, hopefully, some really exciting signings 🤞👍
Well done everyone at the Club!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Today at 03:28:30 PM »

I thought that Matty may be on the list, but glad he isn't. What's great is that we have retained the vast majority and this can only be good for continuity. So, with only what you would call 3 (or possibly 4) senior players departing, it provides a clue to the number of additions. I'm hoping for a bit of experience amongst that number, because I think that's what our young team lacks.

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Today at 03:46:35 PM »

Always had a soft spot for Dan Mooney. He was erratic but thought he gave us extra energy when he came on. Sad to see him go.
Agree with other choices though, just hope we can keep the guys under contract.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Today at 05:59:29 PM »

I don't think Dan showed enough when he came back but he could justifiably argue that he didn't see enough of the ball to show much.
Good luck to him whatever happens next.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Today at 07:53:15 PM »

I don't think Dan showed enough when he came back but he could justifiably argue that he didn't see enough of the ball to show much.

I think Dan Mooney was a useful weather vane when it comes to the progress the club has made in the time between him leaving and re-joining.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Today at 08:08:52 PM »

That's a great point!
Lots of us were gutted when he left the first time but it seemed clear that he was going to leave now and most people, I think, recognise that we've moved on and upward since then.
It would have been nice if he'd have stayed and developed with us. Not to be.
I'm sure he'll quickly find another club in the north and equally sure he'll do well.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Today at 08:32:18 PM »

I think Dan Mooney was a useful weather vane when it comes to the progress the club has made in the time between him leaving and re-joining.

Good point. Dan’s problem is he is a bit too predictable, he needs to use his right foot more, I wish him luck for the future.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Today at 09:33:45 PM »

Grimsby are making noises about Linney

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Today at 09:38:25 PM »

Grimsby are making noises about Linney

I wouldn't have thought they'd be able to afford him would they? (given he's under contract)
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Retained list announced