PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Rematch confirmed
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Rematch confirmed  (Read 11686 times)

Hamilton

Re: Rematch confirmed
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2013, 05:03:09 PM »

TBH with our record in cups and being outplayed we would accepted the inevitable. We would have found someone to run the line and, if not, I doubt we would have contested the result.

Yes, we would be pi**ed off and, yes, we would do this begrudgingly, but I believe the majority of Alty fans and employees would accept this.

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2013, 05:09:00 PM »

The game always was going to get replayed in full with the score starting at 0-0. The suggestions that Alty should be awarded the game or should start with a 2-0 lead or even only play seven minutes are in my opinion ridiculous. If Alty were to start with a 2-0 lead would that mean cautions and substitutions from Saturday would carry over to the new fixture? If the game consisted of seven minutes I think that there would be more complaints that you had travelled to Colwyn Bay and payed your entrance fee to witness seven minutes of football. The laws of the game (it still amazes me when people call them rules) state 'the match lasts two equal periods of 45 minutes, unless otherwise mutually agreed between the referee and the two teams. Any agreement to alter the duration of the periods of play (e.g. to reduce each half to 40 minutes because of insufficient light) must be made before the start of play and must comply with competition rules.' In regards to an abandoned match, Law 7 states 'an abandoned match is replayed unless the competition rules provide otherwise.'

Having not been at the game on Saturday I can't comment on how likely Alty were to win the game but by the sounds of things it was very likely but as everyone knows football is unpredictable which is what makes it so entertaining. From what I've read it seems like Alty would have won that game 999 times out of 1000 but who knows if Colwyn Bay could have scored two late goals and forced a replay? Saturday could have been the 1 time in 1000 games when it happened. I must point out that I have been watching Alty since I was four years old and have sold programmes, officiated on friendlies and ironically stood in as fourth official in the Conference when the ref got injured at Moss Lane and have no affiliation with Colwyn Bay and while I want Alty to progress to the next round I can't help but have a balanced and unbiased view.

A point to think about is had Alty been 2-0 down and the same situation occured how many people would suggest the FA should award the game to Colwyn Bay or only seven minutes should be played in a new fixture? In my opinion had roles been reversed, with £4000 and a potential trip to Wembley at stake for Alty, 99% of you would say you would do everything in your power to get the game replayed in full and the other 1% are lying.

My personal opinion which I said to a few people on Saturday night was to play the remaining 7 minutes, but behind closed doors. You see this happen in other countries, so maybe it's another reason why the FA need to take a look at situations like this.

The thing that gets me is the laws state 'when neither team is at fault for abandonment'. So why should Altrincham, leading 2-0, be penalized for something that is not their fault? I wouldn't expect Colwyn Bay to let us walk 2 goals in tomorrow night, but it would seem fairer than the current situation we have. If this was to happen, Altrincham would be leading by 2 goals, but Colwyn Bay would now have 90 minutes rather than the remaining 7 minutes to get back into the tie.  
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 05:29:08 PM by Nasha »
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

GEOFF HOOLEY

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2013, 05:13:53 PM »

whats even more annoying is that the bookings stand.

Altrinchman

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2013, 05:28:16 PM »

The game always was going to get replayed in full with the score starting at 0-0. The suggestions that Alty should be awarded the game or should start with a 2-0 lead or even only play seven minutes are in my opinion ridiculous. If Alty were to start with a 2-0 lead would that mean cautions and substitutions from Saturday would carry over to the new fixture? If the game consisted of seven minutes I think that there would be more complaints that you had travelled to Colwyn Bay and payed your entrance fee to witness seven minutes of football. The laws of the game (it still amazes me when people call them rules) state 'the match lasts two equal periods of 45 minutes, unless otherwise mutually agreed between the referee and the two teams. Any agreement to alter the duration of the periods of play (e.g. to reduce each half to 40 minutes because of insufficient light) must be made before the start of play and must comply with competition rules.' In regards to an abandoned match, Law 7 states 'an abandoned match is replayed unless the competition rules provide otherwise.'

Having not been at the game on Saturday I can't comment on how likely Alty were to win the game but by the sounds of things it was very likely but as everyone knows football is unpredictable which is what makes it so entertaining. From what I've read it seems like Alty would have won that game 999 times out of 1000 but who knows if Colwyn Bay could have scored two late goals and forced a replay? Saturday could have been the 1 time in 1000 games when it happened. I must point out that I have been watching Alty since I was four years old and have sold programmes, officiated on friendlies and ironically stood in as fourth official in the Conference when the ref got injured at Moss Lane and have no affiliation with Colwyn Bay and while I want Alty to progress to the next round I can't help but have a balanced and unbiased view.

A point to think about is had Alty been 2-0 down and the same situation occured how many people would suggest the FA should award the game to Colwyn Bay or only seven minutes should be played in a new fixture? In my opinion had roles been reversed, with £4000 and a potential trip to Wembley at stake for Alty, 99% of you would say you would do everything in your power to get the game replayed in full and the other 1% are lying.

With a tone of voice like that you were born to be a referee mate.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2013, 09:22:12 PM »

Ridiculous!

Let's make sure that we give it Frank big time tomorrow night.

I couldn't disagree more. The way you deal with frank Sinclair is to do what we did Saturday, completely and utterly ignore him. He absolutely thrives on the attention and the stick. He'll be bigging it up to his players that his life is in mortal danger and they've got to win it for him.

If it's complete and utter indifference to him and Saturday's events it'll be simply a game of football between two teams and I saw from Saturday who is most likely to prevail in that case.

Baldrick

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2013, 09:34:53 PM »

The club need to find some guts and tell them to stick it.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2013, 09:51:55 PM »

My view is that we retain our dignity, return and play the game, win it, and move on.  Let T**ts be T**ts, we do not need to join them.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Hamilton

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2013, 10:01:46 PM »

My view is that we retain our dignity, return and play the game, win it, and move on.  Let T**ts be T**ts, we do not need to join them.

Yes

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2013, 10:11:09 PM »

I would have been disappointed if we had behaved in a similar manner to Colwyn Bay.

I don't want to sound like a pious internet Alty fan, but we're better than that.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

York Alty

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2013, 10:16:22 PM »

I would have been disappointed if we had behaved in a similar manner to Colwyn Bay.

I don't want to sound like a pious internet Alty fan, but we're better than that.

I'd have been very surprised if we'd debased ourselves to that extreme. We would, I am sure, have taken any qualified replacement official.

Hamilton

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2013, 10:23:13 PM »

I'd have been very surprised if we'd debased ourselves to that extreme. We would, I am sure, have taken any qualified replacement official.

I'm adamant that in their place we would have accepted one of the offers made to run the line.

markecky

« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2013, 10:30:42 PM »

I agree with Jimmy.

The rules are now coming out and that's fair enough but they weren't known at the time, and the referee instructed Frank that if he didn't appoint someone to do it then the game would end.  He also made it clear to Alty officials that he would put in his report that Frank had effectively ended the game.

If the boot was on the other foot, I could see us not being happy having an Bay official running the line.  However if they offered that we could choose any person we liked to run it then it is pure gamesmanship to say no and I think we would have chosen someone and played on.

I know the rules now say different but I am 99% sure that at the time he said no he was gambling on it not being seen as a forfeit.

For me the tweets from him, the refusal to allow the physio to treat the ref, his attempted storming of our dressing room at half time, the reporting of made up threats and deletion without a word from the Colwyn Bay press and their silence on that matter are just as bad.

I'm sick of talking about it.

Let's get there, sing our hearts out, get it won and get home.

Hamilton

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2013, 10:40:07 PM »

Just make sure, especially with a win, you get straight out of there!

arnald

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2013, 11:05:31 PM »

we still want this; we still believe  we are alty

Bath Alty

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2013, 11:15:19 PM »

If the boot was on the other foot, I could see us not being happy having an Bay official running the line.  However if they offered that we could choose any person we liked to run it then it is pure gamesmanship to say no and I think we would have chosen someone and played on.

For me the tweets from him, the refusal to allow the physio to treat the ref, his attempted storming of our dressing room at half time, the reporting of made up threats and deletion without a word from the Colwyn Bay press and their silence on that matter are just as bad.

I'm sick of talking about it.

Let's get there, sing our hearts out, get it won and get home.

This, this and this.  Best comments so far on the topic
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Rematch confirmed