News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Downward Spiral (a rant)

Author Topic: Downward Spiral (a rant)  (Read 3345 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Downward Spiral (a rant)
« on: February 10, 2007, 09:29:58 PM »

I left Southport fearing that we are destined for relegation and nothing I saw this afternoon against York City caused me to change my mind.

In short, we look stale and short of ideas.

I spoke to one of the press reporters after today's game and he said that his notes showed that York had 13 shots on target, whilst Alty could only muster two.
Well, I recall Thornley's shot rebounding off the post but for the life of me I can't recall the other one....and their keeper never had a shot to save.

It could easily have finished 7-0 to York.

How embarrassing was it to go from taking the kick-off to losing possession almost immediately and then conceding a goal within the opening minute?

Band was simply outclassed by the York forwards.

Where is Rose and, if he is fit, why on earth is he not at least on the bench ahead of Talbot?

Will we ever see our contracted players/spectators Thomson and Bowler again?

Why do we only appear to have two free kick routines:
(i) Aspinall lobs it towards Chalmers on the left (this tactic dates all way back to the days of Jeff Johnson circa 1978);
(ii) Aspinall or Peyton shoots wildly over the bar from 30 yards?

Why do we continually hit hopeful high balls in the direction of Colin Little and the minute figure of Chris Senior?

Seriously, is there not a better left full back out there than the ponderous Andy Scott?

Recently, the question I have been asking myself is: "Will we ever win away?"

Now it's "Will we ever win again?"

Yours, disillusioned and depressed of Hale.....who sees nothing positive about a return to the Conference North, no matter what our Chairman may say at the Fans' Forum...

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Daycare Dan

Re: Downward Spiral (a rant)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 10:31:32 PM »

Today was disappointing, but against Southport we made enough chances to score 5 or 6. Okay they did not go in, but we did make chances.

York are a totally different class to Southport, and yes it looked like we did not turn up till 3:15, but they do have some good players. It's going to happen, we are going to loose a few games by 4 or 5 nil. What concerns me is that we get results of teams around us, like Southport. I still think we have enough to stay in this league, but we need to believe we can stay up. If the fans resign themselves to relegation how are the players going to feel? We need to stick behind the team, I'm sure the break we need will come. If this time next week we have come away from Crawley with a scrappy 1-0 win and go on to get a result against the vics we could get back on a roll like over Xmas.

My rant over.

Agree about the freek kick, we need to try something different than to Lewis!

Altysmiffy

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 10:33:23 PM »

Alty 2 shots on target, York 11
Alty 10 of target, York 4

12 shots v 15; not so far behind as the score suggests. I just wonder if we need a little more bite up front; a little more McFadden, perhaps?

chrisrufc

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 10:37:30 PM »

Hate to be pedantic (may not be true) but an effort that hits the post isn't on target.  I remember Peyton (I think) hitting a tame effort at the keeper from outside the area but can't remember the other one.

It was the worst Alty performances i've seen this season, luckily Coburn did quite well (as normal) because it may have been worse with the amount of times they exposed our defence.  Our frontline is causing me a headache at the moment because I thought Senior worked his socks off and there is no doubt he is a useful nippy player and Colin Little is without doubt the most technically gifted Altrincham player. In games such as this however, we do require a bit more bulk up front and you would have thought a Peter Thomson would have been ideal because Joe O'Neil isn't up to the task im afraid.  I think I would prefer Chris Senior to start on the wing in the future, he will offer a different threat to that provided by Peyton, Chalmers or Thornley.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 10:51:54 PM by chrisrufc »

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 09:18:14 AM »

We were outclassed and I do not think it was the worst we played, we were not allowed to play, they hounded us every time we got the ball forcing so many errors. Every time a forward got the ball, there were upto 3 players around him in seconds, generally we only got half chances.

Were there first two goals no t lucky. 1. offside. 2. wicked deflection. 3 pooor defending. 4. good finishing.

Surely whatever team went out it would have struggled based on the fact tthat York were slated last week by the manager. They are the best team I have seen a ML this season.

EX GK

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 09:27:11 AM »

Fair assessment there Alty Dave, York had pace throughout, that 3rd goal which effectively killed the game was a superb move. No wonder clubs have been queueing up for Donaldson, he is a class act, pace, good feet and awareness.Hibs have a gem, especially for free.

Cadiz Alty

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 01:13:33 PM »

Apologies for missing game
Guessed what might happen so therefore KFC in Leeds and a tesco lucky bag even seemed a better prospect than Moss lane to watch the guys toil against better oposition,  as most who went seem to be saying.
I agree with the rant!
Lets get back to when the team picked itself,  we seemed to get  more points then ?????

moousee

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 02:25:33 PM »

Looking at the game subjectively, you have to take into account the type of opposition. Having taken a panning last week, they were well up for it, and are clearly a far better team than we are. However, things that need looking at:

We dont have an established striker that is good enough in the air to collect most of the long 'hoofs' up field which we always revert to when getting knackered. Chris Seniors height is a testament to this.

The rotation of the squad is not good for the team as a whole, I appreciate that you need to find the correct line up, but there comes a point where you have to give the players chance to settle.

We have an awful lot of forwards, and most are excellent! But we need to look at the left back situation... This new lad is ok, but only ok. He impressed me at times yesterday, but was not very good at pushing forward.

The squad we have deffinately have it in them to stay up! Being on a bit of a sh*tter at the moment does NOT mean we are going down. All it will take is for Collin to get a goal or two, and his confidence will return. We have seen the state of a lot of the teams around us this season, and we are better than them! We need to look forward, whilst learning the important lessons from the last few weeks.

UkrainianPhil

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 04:14:18 PM »

To be fair I didn't think you looked that bad.

As I said to quite a few Alty in the bar afterwards, I have seen you play 4 times this season and I have seen every other team in this league at least once and there are 4 worse teams in this league than Altrincham.

Sadly, I also think there are at least 2 teams better than York also!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 09:56:07 PM »

Out of interest, who would your bottom four teams be then, Phil?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Downward Spiral (a rant)