PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Price v Attendance
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Price v Attendance  (Read 5180 times)

GoneFishing

Price v Attendance
« on: February 09, 2011, 01:15:19 AM »

I was thinking about attending the game last night with my two sons, we are all United supporters but we have been priced out of Old Trafford and enjoy real football. But i was shocked to see you were charging £10 for what is basically a friendly now that the league clubs no longer take part. The cold weather and evening kick off probably had an affect on the poor attendance but with the strong possibility of an easy win i'm sure the price was the main reason why only 233 turned up. With hindsight do you think it was a mistake charging so much? I thought about £3 would have been more realistic.

bighairedmike

Re: Price v Attendance
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 01:30:13 AM »

233 times £10 > 300 times £3

It's the CSC, its always going to have a low turnout. I wish it wasn't so but thats how it works.

taxi Phil

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 07:52:33 AM »

The Cheshire FA unfortunately set the pricing minimums for this competition.

bumble

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 08:20:40 AM »

233 times £10 > 300 times £3

It's the CSC, its always going to have a low turnout. I wish it wasn't so but thats how it works.

At £2 for under 16's it's great value - although I agree £10 is a little steep

Oh well :) vics in the final

Jenga

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 08:49:28 AM »

To be fair the CSC is not something which attracts fans.

Having said this we would certainly welcome any fans to come to the league games, the prices that the likes of Man United are charging and the fact that season ticket holders have to buy cup tickets is just plain wrong.

Hope to see you at Moss Lane, to be honest I dont think you would regret it.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 09:22:11 AM »

To be brutally honest If you are going to charge just 3 quid then you may as well just let every bugger in for nowt. and if they did the crowd would not have been much bigger...

I dont think a tenner is that bad... The club is run very well and is kept within budget..
If you want to watch Alty (CSC or any other game) then you will go and watch them, regardless of the weather etc.

george

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 09:40:23 AM »

Unfortunately, we failed to reach the 300 we were hoping for. The battle continues to raise money.

fuertes

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 09:44:54 AM »

We really have had a nightmare with postponements. A few of the better games delayed and moved to a Saturday. We'd have had a good crowd for games like York and Southport. At least we've a good number of home matches left in order to raise revenue.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 09:47:13 AM »

I have always said its hard to win on this ... I don't think reducing the price for these sort of games would bring a big enough difference in attendance to offset the shortfall.

We are cheap for league games compared to others and we still have bills to pay. When I lived in the area I did not miss a CSC match, we more times than not put out our first team *normally due to our lack of squad depth probably* so you are paying £10 to watch our first team in a cup competition ?

I don;t mind the Cheshire Senior Cup, it was the silly cups in the Unibond that used to annoy me greatly.

Plus now we get a chance to play a 'new' club from a lower league.. Wonder if they are going to for a bracketed 2012 after their name next season ? More comebacks than Frank Bruno.

WE ALL P*SS IN A GREEN AND WHITE POT .. A GREEN AND WHITE POT ...

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 09:50:37 AM by gazwarrington »

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 10:00:27 AM »

The big problem with re-arranged fixtures from Sat to Tues especially at this time of the season when the bloody Champs lge is about to start up again is that the crowds will no way replicate those that would have been had the games been played on a Sat as originally planned .

Alty have had some good crowd pullers played on Tues nights this season which is a shame...

GoneFishing

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 01:02:33 PM »

If you want to watch Alty (CSC or any other game) then you will go and watch them, regardless of the weather etc.

I have to disagree. This is true for the hardcore element who will watch the team regardless of the weather, opposition, televised football etc. But Altrincham do not have enough hardcore supporters to sustain the club. They rely on floating support and supporters of United and City who can't afford to watch premier league football. These people make up a significant percentage of the attendance and should not be ignored. If the club had charged £3 last night i would have been there with my two sons, we would have had a few drinks and probably bought a programme each (if there was one) and had something to eat. Altogether between us we would have spent around £40, not a fortune but £40 more than the club earned by us not being there. And at this level every penny counts. But as it has been pointed out that the Cheshire FA set the prices i understand why the club have no say in the matter. The point of my original post was to see what regulars think of the pricing policy and trying to set the right price as it is better to have 400 people paying £5 rather than 200 paying £10 because people will spend money in the ground and more people create a better atmosphere.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 01:06:07 PM »

Is it the competition or just the opposition ?

If Altrincham were playing Northwich (or if league clubs were still in it) Smacc or Stockport would £10 for a cup semi final have been unfair ?

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 01:53:23 PM »

I think the main problem was the Cheshire FA setting the prices and generally we've found over the years that we tend to be generally 'price inelastic' due to a number of factors.

i.e. If we charge half the price we don't get twice as many fans, if it had been £5 last night there wouldn't have been 466 there.

There are a number of factors for this (competitio, apathy etc) which makes pricing intiiatives difficult to assess. In an ideal world obviously prices would be a couple of quid lower for everyone and people would come down more but it isn't that straightforward. And on a tight budget it's not always possible to gamble on these things, i.e. Mansfield letting everyone in free for a game etc.

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 02:06:25 PM »

Honestly? I didn't go last night and tbh if it was free I probably wouldn't have gone either (if that makes me a bad fan, so be it). The CSC isn't a popular cup competition. I don't think the reduction in price to the level you are suggesting would be beneficial imo (it might be to you, but not to the club on the whole).

GoneFishing

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 02:16:13 PM »

Is it the competition or just the opposition ?

If Altrincham were playing Northwich (or if league clubs were still in it) Smacc or Stockport would £10 for a cup semi final have been unfair ?

I would say £10 for a CSC semi final against Macc, Stockport, Crewe or any other league team would be fair but the local rivalry only really excites the diehard fans. A casual visitor to Moss Lane who supports United or City as a first club would not have the passion or hatred for Northwich that an Alty fan would have. So for that reason i would not class Northwich as a must see game.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Price v Attendance