News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 player ratings

Author Topic: player ratings  (Read 1961 times)

Alex

player ratings
« on: November 12, 2007, 01:22:34 PM »

The player markings given by The Times have some significant differences from those of the NL Paper. Here they are, the first figure being the NLP's, the second is from The Times:

Altrincham: Coburn 7 7, Lane 5 5, Tinson 7 7, Shotton 5 6, Scott 6 7, Senior 8 7, Lawton 7 6, Sedgemore 6 8*, Peyton 7 6, O’Neill 5 6, Little 6 7

* what game were they watching?

Daycare Dan

Re: player ratings
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 01:35:59 PM »

Shotton 5?!?!?!??! WTF Were they at ML on Saturday?

baldrick

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 02:01:32 PM »

Sedgemore 8?  I don't remember seeing him touch the ball.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 02:22:02 PM »

I view Sedgemore as a moderate player, perhaps a good one at Burton, Kiddy etc but k=not quite suited to us. However on Staurday, he ahd one of his better games, at least in the first half, putiing his foot on the ball and settling down play, at least in the middle third of the pitch.

He did what he does, quite well, it's just not that noticeable.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 02:38:55 PM »

For a few seasons we've had a high proportion of high energy players like Eddie Hussin, Robbie Lawton etc.

In the Unibond and Blue Square North that's the sort of player you need and also when you first come up into BS National and you're trying to battle for a foothold you need that sort of player too.

The artisan rather than the artist also works out cheaper  and as the 'product' is more tangible fans do like to see it.

Sedge and Gareth Whalley are players with more quality, the ball does their work rather than their legs. Yes they need the Robbies and the Vals to do their running about and ball winning but they're much better at an incisive pass.

For those of a certain vintage you'll recall that one Graham Heathcote wasn't exactly famous for ball winning (his 90 second sending off in the North East proved that) nor running around closing down but he had Messrs King and Barrow in the midfield with him to do his ball winning and closing down, giving him the time and space to play defence splitting passes or 40 yard killer balls.

Also we had a guy by the name of Graham Bennett who I recall was an exceptional finisher but he did bugger all else. His mate and occasional striking partner Ronnie Ellis however ran his tripe out every game, got his fair share of goals but it was his hard work which enabled GB to score so frequently.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that you need a good mix and balance of workers and quality and hopefully this is what we're heading toward having

Jacko

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 02:58:02 PM »

Good shout, soppose the problem is some of the better teams in this division have players who have great all-round ability and can adapt supiorior to situations than us

louise1925

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 03:42:20 PM »

Have The Times just made up their statistics? 5/10 for Millwall winger Jay Simpson? I thought he was their best player by a country mile! It would be interesting to see what Millwall fans think. I didn't think their keeper (though solid) had a great deal to do, 8/10? Weird.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 08:36:45 PM »

Mark Pougatch on R5 highlighted Simpson as one of Millwalls best players (along with their other winger)
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 player ratings