News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Portsmouth Landlady Wins Case

Author Topic: Portsmouth Landlady Wins Case  (Read 3008 times)

fuertes

« on: February 03, 2011, 04:40:44 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12355022

Is this a worry? If pubs can advertise and show all United and City (or other big teams) 3pm Saturday kickoffs legally, could it hurt our attendances?

Even though one or both usually have their games moved for telly, I still think this is a bit of a concern.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Portsmouth Landlady Wins Case
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 04:47:38 PM »

Is this a worry? If pubs can advertise and show all United and City (or other big teams) 3pm Saturday kickoffs legally, could it hurt our attendances?

Even though one or both usually have their games moved for telly, I still think this is a bit of a concern.

I suspect you haven't been in a pub in the area at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon if you think this is a new phenomenon!

Mind you, the rule was a good one somewhat undermined by the FA moving England games to 3pm on a Saturday afternoon.

fuertes

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 04:53:11 PM »

I suspect you haven't been in a pub in the area at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon if you think this is a new phenomenon!

Mind you, the rule was a good one somewhat undermined by the FA moving England games to 3pm on a Saturday afternoon.

Really? That common?

I remember there was a dodgy pub in Sale that used to show United games on Saturdays, but didn't think it was as widespread as you suggest.

Gah. Tv and all the swathes of money have ruined this sport...

markecky

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 04:55:38 PM »

As has been said, it already hurts us badly.

Little we can do sadly.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 06:21:18 PM »

However, given that both City and United seem to rarely play at 15:00 on a Saturday these days the chances of a match clashing with one of our home games isn't as big as it might be.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Number23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 08:48:49 AM »

It might have an impact in the short term but I suspect that Sky will find a way to secure their revenue. Who provides the TV feed to these foreign stations? Sky and ESPN have the rights don't they so it must be them providing the feed. I'd have though they could just cut it off or up the price?

BTW, I've drunk in the pub in question (Red, White and Blue in Southsea). Nice little boozer but never been in there when the footy was on.

markecky

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 09:12:15 AM »

It might have an impact in the short term but I suspect that Sky will find a way to secure their revenue. Who provides the TV feed to these foreign stations? Sky and ESPN have the rights don't they so it must be them providing the feed. I'd have though they could just cut it off or up the price?

BTW, I've drunk in the pub in question (Red, White and Blue in Southsea). Nice little boozer but never been in there when the footy was on.

The internet makes it impossible to stop mate.

With the right knowledge and equipment you could stream your own sky connection to your family around the world if you wanted, and as broadband gets faster the quality just gets higher.

They can never stop it and they know it.

taxi Phil

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 11:03:02 AM »

And inevitably, the loss of revenue at the higher levels of the game will lead to a lot of the mercenaries going home, and maybe we'll see more British players come through. And our league will go back to being a proper part time set up. I hope.

bumble

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 11:05:03 AM »

And inevitably, the loss of revenue at the higher levels of the game will lead to a lot of the mercenaries going home, and maybe we'll see more British players come through. And our league will go back to being a proper part time set up. I hope.

You mean the BSP being part time - surely? Not the whole league

Would be nice if more british talent came through

York Alty

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 11:51:36 AM »

yet more bad news for grubster murdoch = happy fatty in York.

impact on Alty - almost nothing.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 11:56:42 AM »

However, given that both City and United seem to rarely play at 15:00 on a Saturday these days the chances of a match clashing with one of our home games isn't as big as it might be.

IMO games that kick off at 12.45pm or 5.15pm are as bad as games shown at 3pm. I'm sure people have had their fix of footy by 2.40pm and don't go to a game.

Football on telly should be cut down, most of it's wank anyway. If it wasn't for the cricket I'd happily cancel my Sky subscription right away.

taxi Phil

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 09:03:49 PM »

You mean the BSP being part time - surely? Not the whole league

Would be nice if more british talent came through
By "OUR League" I mean the BSP !

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 10:06:41 AM »

If it does stick this is not as bad as it sounds, all european broadcasters will be forced to charge the same, sky will not be able to afford to pump so much money into football, this will lead to a rebalancing of finance for larger clubs, some of whom would be in big trouble, the overall outcome would be the gap narrowing between full time and part time teams.
Bernard Taylors barmy army

bigcol

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 11:15:59 AM »

Bet Platini is happy :)
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team