PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Olympic Football
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Olympic Football  (Read 7447 times)

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Olympic Football
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2012, 04:34:22 PM »

Just like the England team,will not win anything.
Harold

Jezza

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2012, 05:38:39 PM »

I can't imagine genuine football fans having anything more than a passing interest in this publicity government pleasing excercise......I imagine the atmosphere is going to be a bit like a ladies match with lots of excited screaming....no disprespect to laides footie which I find extremely intersting, played in the right spirirt (unlike the recent fall over clutching your head to get a free kick euros) and of a high standrad....

it's a shame coz it would be genuinely interesting and exciting to have a real elite of the elite UK/GB side playing a proper international tournament.......mind you, who from wales/scotland/N Ireland is genuinely better than anyone in the england squad?....would have been interesting with ian rush, giggs etc at their best but these days our home nation friends seem to be suffering in proportion with us....

I imagine Fergie has told giggsy to go out there and sweat blood for a gold medal?

For all the above reasons I still believe Pearce has made a monumental mistake in even taking this task on and an even bigger one in taking it seriously enough not to give beckham the send off a lot of the paying customers would have liked to see....to be fair it seems split 50/50 on the beckham issue......but who is going to bewatching these matches with the same tension as they watched the england matches??

Robin Reliant

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2012, 10:00:07 AM »

I can't imagine genuine football fans having anything more than a passing interest in this publicity government pleasing excercise......I imagine the atmosphere is going to be a bit like a ladies match with lots of excited screaming....no disprespect to laides footie which I find extremely intersting, played in the right spirirt (unlike the recent fall over clutching your head to get a free kick euros) and of a high standrad....

it's a shame coz it would be genuinely interesting and exciting to have a real elite of the elite UK/GB side playing a proper international tournament.......mind you, who from wales/scotland/N Ireland is genuinely better than anyone in the england squad?....would have been interesting with ian rush, giggs etc at their best but these days our home nation friends seem to be suffering in proportion with us....

I imagine Fergie has told giggsy to go out there and sweat blood for a gold medal?

For all the above reasons I still believe Pearce has made a monumental mistake in even taking this task on and an even bigger one in taking it seriously enough not to give beckham the send off a lot of the paying customers would have liked to see....to be fair it seems split 50/50 on the beckham issue......but who is going to bewatching these matches with the same tension as they watched the england matches??

Very fair comment

Robin Reliant

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2012, 03:54:18 PM »

And the chances of winning just took another hit as Spain go for the double (or is it treble?)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18693622

RocketDan

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2012, 04:24:34 PM »

I've got tickets for a couple of matches at Old Trafford, including the opening fixtures on 26th July. Tickets were only £20 each and bizarrely you get to watch two matches - one after the other - so it's actually really good value.

I imagine the atmosphere will be similar to other age restricted competition (for example u21s football). Leaving out David Beckham and scottish footballers shows we are taking it seriously. No time for sentiment or pollitics. Fancy us getting to the final.

My only quibble with the squad would be the exclusion of Michael Carrick and the inclusion of Craig belllamy
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 04:28:24 PM by The Golf Road Grumbler »

fuertes

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2012, 04:51:26 PM »

Pearce has clearly treated it as an England development squad. Whch is a bit off really. But I don't care because the competition is wank.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Olympic Football