PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Olympic Football
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Olympic Football  (Read 7445 times)

Ascot Alty

Re: Olympic Football
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 12:25:06 PM »

the only thing I overlooked was the limit on over age players but no I'm not joking.....this is the first time a gb squad has even entered this competition and would not have entered if it had not been in london......this is not an elite team...giggs and bellamy???? it is purely for exhibition and publicity purposes only....pearce is taking it too seriously and will look even more of a joke when team gb get knocked out....will the players be putting it all on the line or will they be thinking of their club contract? it's bad enough when some of them turn out (or don't in the case of giggs) for their country!!!

comments from pearce about going for gold are are an absolute joke!

Are we going to try and win it or just be typically British and take part.

He represents everything i hate about modern football.

York Alty

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 01:07:20 PM »

the only thing I overlooked was the limit on over age players but no I'm not joking.....this is the first time a gb squad has even entered this competition and would not have entered if it had not been in london......this is not an elite team...giggs and bellamy???? it is purely for exhibition and publicity purposes only....pearce is taking it too seriously and will look even more of a joke when team gb get knocked out....will the players be putting it all on the line or will they be thinking of their club contract? it's bad enough when some of them turn out (or don't in the case of giggs) for their country!!!

comments from pearce about going for gold are are an absolute joke!

Are we going to try and win it or just be typically British and take part.

He represents everything i hate about modern football.

Pearce or Beckham?

Robin Reliant

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2012, 03:25:59 PM »

Bale unavailable,having aggravated a previous injury. will there be more withdrawals before the squad is officially announced on Monday?

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2012, 04:23:35 PM »

you watch next season Fifa will say England have to combine with Wales to enter international games,this was the main reason why we have never done it befor and why Scotland and Norther Ireland did not want any of their players involved.
Harold

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2012, 06:32:34 PM »

you watch next season Fifa will say England have to combine with Wales to enter international games,this was the main reason why we have never done it befor and why Scotland and Norther Ireland did not want any of their players involved.

That is what should happen. There should be one British team combining England and Wales with their neighbours from Scotland, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands. After all, according to the media they are all proud to be British!!! Supporters from Scotland and Wales should be given complimentary tickets to add to their perks of free prescriptions and no uni fees, but the English must pay even for home games played in Cardiff and Glasgow.  It is a better solution than what happens in Cricket where Welsh and Scots play for England together with many cast-offs from other nations. ;D

whopper

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2012, 08:47:04 PM »

Will the irish be playing great britain? What about northern ireland?

So who says they are english, british or from the.....UK' lol no wonder we have confused political issues!!

What im saying is our identity is becoming more and more distorted!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 08:48:52 PM by dangerbeak »

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2012, 09:44:13 PM »

Will the irish be playing great britain? What about northern ireland?

So who says they are english, british or from the.....UK' lol no wonder we have confused political issues!!

What im saying is our identity is becoming more and more distorted!

Ireland is one country, just like France, Holland and the rest of the EU members - although it's current boss is Andrea Merkel.
The luck of the draw will decide who plays who. The unfair priority seedings that England get will no longer apply.
The official British anthem would not be played as it upsets some of the British nations such as the Scots, Welsh and Scouse.
Ireland have not lost a competitive game against England for over 32 years but may find it more difficult against a team which includes quality players from Wales and Scotland. As Fergie is too old I would nominate Steve Evans as Manager. ;D

York Alty

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2012, 01:38:06 PM »

Holland is one region within Netherlands. Holland is not a country, you've got to add in the other provinces, such as Limburg and Zeeland...

I'll put myself in pedants corner...

I agree with the sentiment that national identity is becoming more confused. That for me is a great thing.

Robin Reliant

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2012, 03:44:01 PM »

I seem to remember that many years ago, the English Football league used to play a team against the Scottish league amongst others.
Perhaps this is the way forward,  Prem league vs german ,spanish, italian leagues etc. At least there won't be any doubt as to who is eligible!

York Alty

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2012, 10:44:41 PM »

I seem to remember that many years ago, the English Football league used to play a team against the Scottish league amongst others.
Perhaps this is the way forward,  Prem league vs german ,spanish, italian leagues etc. At least there won't be any doubt as to who is eligible!

That could have been the Anglo Scottish cup?

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2012, 01:43:22 AM »

Ireland is one country, just like France, Holland and the rest of the EU members - although it's current boss is Andrea Merkel.
The luck of the draw will decide who plays who. The unfair priority seedings that England get will no longer apply.
The official British anthem would not be played as it upsets some of the British nations such as the Scots, Welsh and Scouse.
Ireland have not lost a competitive game against England for over 32 years but may find it more difficult against a team which includes quality players from Wales and Scotland. As Fergie is too old I would nominate Steve Evans as Manager. ;D

You've got your own battles to fight ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDC5DGPJ1CI&feature=relmfu
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 02:08:00 AM by JTH »

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2012, 07:18:22 AM »

Perhaps this is the way forward,  Prem league vs german ,spanish, italian leagues etc. At least there won't be any doubt as to who is eligible!

That could have been the Anglo Scottish cup?

NO. There use to be inter-league games. Alty had a goalkeeper in the mid sixties called Colin McDonald (ex-Burnley and also a full England international) whose professional career was ended after he broke his leg in a match respresenting the FL against the League of Ireland.
The Anglo Scottish Cup was the one where another ex-Alty Goalkeeper Alex Stepney was once top goal scorer - he use to take penalty kicks for Man U.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 07:26:16 AM by RedhillAlty »

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2012, 07:22:41 AM »

You've got your own battles to fight ;-)

The reason that the Irish fight each other is because there are no other worthy opponents ;D

York Alty

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2012, 12:03:04 PM »

Cheers Redhill, always happy to learn new footy facts 'n figures.

C'mon Alty.

Robin Reliant

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2012, 03:37:07 PM »

Uk squad just announced...
Squad: J Allen (Swansea), C Bellamy (Liverpool), R Bertrand (Chelsea), J Butland (Birmingham), S Caulker (Tottenham), T Cleverley (Manchester United), J Cork (Southampton), C Dawson (West Brom), R Giggs (Manchester United), A Ramsey (Arsenal), M Richards (Manchester City), D Rose (Tottenham), S Sinclair (Swansea), M Sordell (Bolton), J Steele (Middlesbrough), D Sturridge (Chelsea), N Taylor (Swansea), J Tomkins (West Ham)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Olympic Football