PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Olympic Football
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Olympic Football  (Read 7444 times)

Robin Reliant

Olympic Football
« on: June 28, 2012, 05:27:18 PM »

So the squad has been published,and no Beckham!

Giggs, Bellamy and Richards are the overage players,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18624174

perhaps now we can get behind a team that has a chance!!!

FJT1980

Re: Olympic Football
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 05:39:25 PM »

Come on Alty

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 06:06:27 PM »

So the squad has been published,and no Beckham!

Don't worry you will be seeing plenty of DB7 in the coming weeks......zzzzzzzzzz

whopper

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 06:37:09 PM »

I think it will be good fun to see them get together and try and gel, will craig bellamy be the only olympian to play against alty at moss lane???

York Alty

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 09:49:58 PM »

no interest in the limpids after they refused to sell me tickets.  If my money's not good enough for them then they can do without me full stop.

Jezza

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 06:45:46 AM »

I think the olympics are a joke for a country that has sold off school playing fields and olympic swimming pools over the last 30 years to suddenly spend a fortune and build yet another stadium in london and put up annoying signs on motorways in lacashire telling us to plan out journeys for the games.

Can't believe how smalll minded pearce has been in not giving beckham a squad place and a cameo role at the expense of one of the squad members who will almost certainly not get a run out during the games anyway.....pearce would not have this honour if it wasn't for beckham's ambassadorial work.

joe

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 08:43:08 AM »

Only 3 over age players are allowed but I would've thought Beckham would get in ahead of Giggs as Bale will play left hand side leaving Giggs on the bench anyway.

York Alty

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 12:58:04 PM »

Beckham chose to play in a footballing backwater.  Hardly a surprise he was overlooked, he's not proven himself at a high enough level. Good call from Mr. Pearce.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 04:39:33 PM by York Alty »

Ascot Alty

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 01:49:25 PM »

Can't believe how smalll minded pearce has been in not giving beckham a squad place and a cameo role at the expense of one of the squad members who will almost certainly not get a run out during the games anyway.....pearce would not have this honour if it wasn't for beckham's ambassadorial work.

Tell me this isnt serious right?

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 02:42:03 PM »

The thing is, Beckham undoubtedly did a lot of hard work to assist with the Olympic bid and that should be recognised in the correct manner. However, I fail to see why it should guarantee him a place in the football squad? If there are better players (in the eyes of the coach) available for selection, they fully deserve to be picked ahead of him. It's not all about sentiment, there is a tournament to be won when all is said and done.
Come on Alty!

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 04:26:59 PM »

The thing is, Beckham undoubtedly did a lot of hard work to assist with the Olympic bid and that should be recognised in the correct manner. However, I fail to see why it should guarantee him a place in the football squad? If there are better players (in the eyes of the coach) available for selection, they fully deserve to be picked ahead of him. It's not all about sentiment, there is a tournament to be won when all is said and done.

Exactly, are we going to let Seb Coe enter the 1500m?

Robin Reliant

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 04:31:50 PM »

First game is vs Senegal at Old Trafford...will there be any Alty flags in attendance?

fuertes

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 07:42:07 PM »

An Olympic gold is supposed to be the very pinnacle of any sporting discipline.

Football in the Olympics is a waste of time. Who gives a f**k who plays?

Jezza

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 07:29:51 AM »

the only thing I overlooked was the limit on over age players but no I'm not joking.....this is the first time a gb squad has even entered this competition and would not have entered if it had not been in london......this is not an elite team...giggs and bellamy???? it is purely for exhibition and publicity purposes only....pearce is taking it too seriously and will look even more of a joke when team gb get knocked out....will the players be putting it all on the line or will they be thinking of their club contract? it's bad enough when some of them turn out (or don't in the case of giggs) for their country!!!

comments from pearce about going for gold are are an absolute joke!

Butty

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 09:56:49 AM »

comments from pearce about going for gold are are an absolute joke!

Im sure you'd be slagging him off if he came out to the press and said "All we're after is a bit of attention really, the players don't give one as the club seasons about to start and we're here for a laugh because it's at home"
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Olympic Football