PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 It just gets worse.....!
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: It just gets worse.....!  (Read 5474 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
It just gets worse.....!
« on: May 03, 2007, 01:06:11 AM »

Excerpt from John Laidlar's excellent Altrincham FC website:

"Chairman Geoff Goodwin reversed his decision to step down...saying:

'Relegation will be a godsend, it will be the making of the club."

So, why on earth did we all pay our money to get into Moss Lane last Saturday and pray for an Alty win?

Well, thank goodness Colin Little missed that good chance at the Golf Road End....

Extraordinary.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: It just gets worse.....!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 01:30:30 AM »

That is more than a little odd.

Geoff has been fantastic for this club, however is such an attitude as the one quoted above really one that goes hand in hand with a football club that is apparently committed to going forward? It is certainly a dichotomy that is hard to swallow.

Under some circumstances I can understand how the old adage about taking one step back to take two forward may be the case, nevertheless I struggle to see how this is actually case with us. Are we really expected to believe that our aim of becoming a self sustaining Conference team (I'm presuming this is the long term aim) will be best able to be achieved by being relegated rather than building on two seasons in the Conference?
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Jezza

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 10:08:47 AM »

Almsot as good as his "This club is mortally wounded but we'll get better"..

Another Goodwinism from the person who bought you the good coach guide to good sex.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 10:50:02 AM »

It is not a godsend. If it was one step back for two forwards and I thought we'd piss the BSN with anew young vibrant squad then maybe. Sorry Geoff, can' t bring myself to agree with you on that  one.

2004-2005 ave att 656
2005-2006 ave att 1048
2006-2007 ave att 1166

I think I know where progress lies.

louise1925

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 11:36:08 AM »

Baring in mind, we have increased the number of regulars coming to Moss Lane in the past two seasons. A good start to next season will see the average hovering between 900-1000 - no huge loss.

Red N White Dynamite

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 11:39:28 AM »

I know people personally who have said they will not come and watch us in Conf North. Although initiatives are being put in place to try and attract more youngsters (something for which the club deserves great praise) the idea that we will stay around the 900/1000 mark is wishful thinking in my opinion.

louise1925

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 11:42:58 AM »

This doom and gloom is getting too much for me! Where's Gary Warrington to add a touch of positive?

teasybeaver

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 12:06:39 PM »

Its not doom n gloom its reality. We've tasted what we lost 10 years ago and i dont see how we can be pleased its slipped away from us again!

Im a realist, i'm glad we didnt go all out wasting money to stay in the conference, but I'm dissapointed none the less. People's attitudes wouldn't be doom n gloom if we were hearing different things from the club. I cant see how we can push for the title to get back into a league that the chairman seems to think we're better off without?

I'm not losing faith but i'm certainly confused, all this putting a brave face on it is going to end up with a bumpy landing in the conf north next season!

Jenga

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 12:08:23 PM »

I know people personally who have said they will not come and watch us in Conf North. Although initiatives are being put in place to try and attract more youngsters (something for which the club deserves great praise) the idea that we will stay around the 900/1000 mark is wishful thinking in my opinion.

Are you being serious? Then what sort of Alty fans are they?

Pretty poor show to be honest. I bet they will be there end of season if we are challenging for promotion.

I am sorry but people who dont turn up because we are in a lower league are just fair weather, prawn sandwich eating no goods.

markecky

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 12:15:55 PM »

Jenga.

They are the sort of Alty fans who noticed that Alty, their little hometown club that they once went to an FA Cup game with in 1982, were at home to Oxford United who beat Alex Fergusons United in his first ever game in charge.  They can't believe that Alty are in the same league as them.

They will look next year and see that its Vauxhall Motors at home.  And do something else.

Sorry, but thats the facts of it.

Red N White Dynamite

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 01:06:51 PM »

I am sorry but people who dont turn up because we are in a lower league are just fair weather, prawn sandwich eating no goods.

Or maybe they are good honest people who live in the real world and say "Can I afford to spend £20 plus to go with my partner and watch a less entertaining game of football against Redditch in a lower league. You've got to accept that not everyone who walks through the turnstiles is a dyed in the wool Alty fan and to refer to people who are very close to me as "prawn sandwich eating no goods" makes me more than a little angry. They are wonderful people who just happen to live in the real world!

Jenga

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 01:14:04 PM »

The internet is the real world surely?

No offence was intended matey.

teasybeaver

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 01:23:09 PM »

With or without "fairweather friends of Alty" next year the atmosphere will be less intense and exciting next season for two reasons. One because there won't be a 'backs to the wall' attitude that really brings out the passion and secondly, perhaps worst, is the poor away support we'll see next season.

Its dismal when you see 5 people huddled under an umbrella in the chequers end, especially when they barely celebrate a stuffy 0-1 victory.

Its not the best attitude for giving up on a football club but I dont blame them, its not always about being a football fan, people love the whole day out package, sadly thats not as appealing in conf north!

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 01:26:14 PM »

Baring in mind, we have increased the number of regulars coming to Moss Lane in the past two seasons. A good start to next season will see the average hovering between 900-1000 - no huge loss.

We averaged 1100ish this year - this helped by considerable numbers coming (i.e. a couple of hundred each) from York, Oxford, Cambridge, Vics, Morecambe, Southport and Halifax.

Having 10 people turn up from Vauxhall is surely going to be detrimental to the averages. Plus we will undoubtedly lose those people that have started to watch us over the past couple of seasons because we were playing Oxford and York, rather than Hucknall and Frickley.

Assuming that we don't set the league alight after the first couple of months, will also result in fewer people turning up.

It's not being negative, it's just a fact I'm afraid.

lukealty12

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 04:14:40 PM »

certainley improving over the years just a shame its going to drop next year :(
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 It just gets worse.....!