News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Freddie Pye died today.

Author Topic: Freddie Pye died today.  (Read 5977 times)

Derek Stubbs

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • thesatmanfootballtv.co.uk
Freddie Pye died today.
« on: April 02, 2008, 04:08:59 PM »

Just heard from a Stockport fan that the great man has died today.

Apparently on the Stockport forum (posted by a Stockport Director) but not found anything in the news anywhere yet.

I personally haven't read the story yet so don't have many details.

Aged 80 apparently.
Been ill for a while.

cheers

Derek Stubbs

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • thesatmanfootballtv.co.uk

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Freddie Pye died today.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 04:18:37 PM »

Freddie did loads for the club - a great manager who built a great side.  Employed Jackie Swindells in his scrapyard so that he could always get time off work etc.  I remember my dad pointing out his Rolls, PYE 1 F every time we saw it.  He drove a Rolls Royce and he was the manager of the team - not a director.

Bucket of water at Macclesfield
Jackie Swindells and the sheepskin coat
2 Cheshire League titles (and one Edward Case Cup)
Beating Rochdale at Spotland
First appearance in FA Cup 3rd Round
Put Altrincham FC on the map!

Thank you Freddie Pye

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 04:29:00 PM »

Now, this is an occasion when the words "Alty Legend" are truly appropriate.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 04:58:34 PM »

A very sad loss. Condolences to his family, friends & colleagues.

He is one man where the minutes applause would be so much more appropriate to celebrate the life of a man who, as Cult & Guru said, put Alty on the map - with style!

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 05:07:32 PM »

A sad loss,Alty's first great manager in my opinion.I remember the bucket of water incident with Brian Fiddler?
Harold

Alty365

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 05:10:40 PM »

People talk about Alty legends and from what my Grandpa has told me about Freddie Pye he is one of the most genuine of all.

RIP

Dougals Dad

« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 05:19:42 PM by Jennifers Dad »

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 07:06:14 PM »

This is very sad news

Freddie Pie was certainly the Manager that pulled Altrincham from obscurity and put us on the Football Map.
He built the team of the Jackie Swindells era.
He was Manager when I first watched Alty and there was a real buzz aroung Moss Lane
I remember helping a mate of mine out with his Newsround and delivering to Freddie's house which was in that Cul De Sac next to what was the Moss Hotel in Hale.

R.I.P. Freddie and God Bless

Hamilton

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 07:43:15 PM »

The sad loss of a legend.

JackSwindells No 1 Fan

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 09:37:56 PM »

A great man, a one off, along with Noel White and Peter Swales the team that created the club we all love today.

Freddie also was great with young kids as supporters we should do something as a living memorial, ideally something that celebrates young fans! We should award the Freddie Pye trophy each year for something...

Post ideas and lobby the board to recognise the one and only Pye 1 -  I got a lift to Moss  Lane from Timperley a couple of times off Freddie, do you think Fergie does that!

Swindells60

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 12:39:01 AM »

Fred lent his car to Jack Swindells on one occasion as Jack was going to a posh christening and Jack drove a little turquoise mini - which Fred was to drive from after the match on the Saturday until Monday morning at the yard.  Jack had no trouble starting Fred's car and was driving off down Moss Lane - with Fred in hot pursuit on foot yelling "How the f*****g hell do you start a mini?" ( It had a starting button on the floor between the front seats!).
It is also legendary, but true that Fred used to supply Jack with all his suits (Jack and Fred were the same size) but before one match Jack asked Fred for his favourite camel coat if he scored a hat trick in that particular match.  Fred agreed, and Jack duly completed the hat trick - it wasn't that unusual.  After the match Fred didn't say a word and just threw the coat to Jack.
Fred was a rough diamond and a bit of a rascal but he appreciated those who worked hard for him and was generous towards them in so many ways.  There are so many stories to tell but many are not suitable for this forum - and I don't think many would believe them!!
Fred made Altrincham the Man Utd of non-league football making them know nationally playing stylish attacking football, sweeping all before them.
There will only ever be one Freddie Pye and sadly he has now gone to the great stadium in the sky!
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Freddie Pye died today.