PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Cheshire Senior Cup Draw
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cheshire Senior Cup Draw  (Read 6005 times)

andrewflynn

Re: Cheshire Senior Cup Draw
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2021, 09:19:10 AM »

Make it a preseason competition maybe ?

Think we've had this conversation previously.
My view is that it would only work if it was for clubs from say NLN and up to make it meaningful pre season.
Perhaps a Junior Cup for the rest?
Not sure that would be popular though.

It could scarcely be less popular than it is now.
What I meant was the smaller clubs and the Cheshire FA would block it.

I think if anything it's more likely to be blocked by the clubs higher up the leagues as it impacts their preparation. I don't think we'd book in a friendly against Cammell Laird in normal circumstances but a Winsford/1874 type might do. I could definitely see a scenario where Stockport or even ourselves chuck the game in the first round because we'd much rather test ourselves against Blackpool etc the following week rather than Vauxhall Motors.

The only way I could possibly see it working during pre-season would be in a league format. Clubs simply cannot leave X dates open in the likelihood that they progress. If they're knocked out, they're left with a huge gap in their pre-season that they might not be able to fill.

Then you've got the problem of the scale of the competition. The FA website says there are 25 teams entered (how does that work?) You can't realistically run a competition in that short a time frame alongside the other friendlies arranged.

Not sure if there's a seeding system in place and tiered entry into the competition? I know it's a bit I'm Alright Jack but could the 16 lowest seeded teams play amongst themselves first and then be followed in by the other clubs at a later round.

A more outlandish suggestion would be for the competition to be played amongst the four/eight sides who got the furthest in the previous season's FA Cup relative to their starting point, ie rounds progressed.

I'm a sucker for history and tradition so I'd be sad to see it go but I do agree that we could do without it, and it probably should be retired respectfully if we can't make a new format work. It won't happen though as I suspect those at the Cheshire FA quite enjoy their Tuesday evenings out.

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
Re: Cheshire Senior Cup Draw
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2021, 05:20:26 AM »

You have to take part in this competition to qualify for the FA Cup. So it is unlikely this competition will get scrapped. While no one is that bothered about the early rounds Cheshire Cup Final day is usually a good away day. The 2005 competition when Alty beat a strong Crewe Alexandra side in the Final was particularly good night.
They really should be beating teams like us
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Cheshire Senior Cup Draw