PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Re: Hyde
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Re: Hyde  (Read 5981 times)

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« on: July 26, 2014, 07:39:17 PM »

With not much on thought I'd head down. Can split the game into 3 sections;

First 20 mins: Complete control of the game, but no final ball
20-75 mins: All over the place, lacklusture.
75-90 mins: Finally got going, and 2 well worked goals.

Penalties, whilst it was good that it happened, it was the worst shoot-out I think I've ever seen. Reeves nearly got it right, as all his misses have been when he's put them to either side. Today he went straight down the middle, like he did when he scored them, but hit the bar.

Positives: Reeves and Gillespie getting on the score sheet again. Strikers who keep scoring in games can only be good. Also Crowther, who overall was probably our best player.
Negatives: Too many lacklusture performances, it took for Densmore to come on before we had any shape. Even less confident if we are involved in a penalty shoot out this season.

As few have had, not overly concerned with the result, and it is better to have a performance like this now so we can iron things out before Aldershot.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

roytonmike

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 08:24:56 PM »

I really dread to think what this forum will be like come mid Sept if were not top half of the league.
It will be akin to watching a game stood next to David and Dennis Birch
Get a fkn grip Red Robin ffs
Agreed - just one additional thought; David Birch was there today, in the stand, just down from where I was sitting. He gets worse - for Heaven's sake, these are pre-season work-outs whose results don't matter a jot, not World War Three! To be serious - first time I've seen Gillespie, who looked distinctly useful, & Crowther, who frankly didn't impress me much. Defensively pretty average & still short of an intimidating presence in midfield. However, it was too hot a day for football, the management will no doubt have noted a fair few things, & I repeat that it's a work-out, not a competitive match. 

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 08:51:15 PM »

Pretty much agree with Nash. But for me Sean Williams coming on changed the game
Full time and proud of it

York Alty

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 09:19:08 PM »

Lee will have learnt much more from today than the game at Trafford.

taxi Phil

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 09:41:17 PM »

Pretty much agree with Nash. But for me Sean Williams coming on changed the game

My thought precisely....but there were a number of specific problems displayed this afternoon :-

Ryan Crowther frequently found good positions but didn't get any service. Later he tended to overhit the ball.

Particularly in the first half too many promising build ups were thwarted because players strayed offside.

We gave far too much ball away.....and it certainly led to their first goal.

Simon Richman was practically a fifth defender. As such, he was wasted.

Gillespie wasted a number of reasonable openings, including a decent free kick opportunity, through wayward finishing. BUT he did at least get into the positions to have those openings. Not sure he's fully wound up yet, still think he's an excellent signing.

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 10:02:14 PM »

Nice bait

markecky

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 10:54:16 PM »

Original post removed for unnecessary swearing and poster warned for the future, appears to be new to the forum so has been warned after complaints received.  Hate deleting posts but that was just swearing for the sake of it, rest of the posts left on discussing the game.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 12:18:19 AM »

Penalties, whilst it was good that it happened, it was the worst shoot-out I think I've ever seen.

Reeves nearly got it right, as all his misses have been when he's put them to either side. Today he went straight down the middle, like he did when he scored them, but hit the bar.

That sounds like the one he missed in the FA Cup tie at Shildon.

Didn't that one bounce off the crossbar before heading off towards Eric's Chippy?

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 12:54:57 AM »

I think one of the biggest flaws of football fans is to think friendlies are at all indicative of league performance.

My gut feeling is that there is no correlation between a good pre-season and a good league campaign.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

taxi Phil

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 06:38:33 AM »

Penalties, whilst it was good that it happened, it was the worst shoot-out I think I've ever seen.

Reeves nearly got it right, as all his misses have been when he's put them to either side. Today he went straight down the middle, like he did when he scored them, but hit the bar.

That sounds like the one he missed in the FA Cup tie at Shildon.

Didn't that one bounce off the crossbar before heading off towards Eric's Chippy?

I did it slightly differently.....bounced out of Eric's Chippy, and headed for the bar  :D

taxi Phil

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 06:45:21 AM »

I think one of the biggest flaws of football fans is to think friendlies are at all indicative of league performance.

My gut feeling is that there is no correlation between a good pre-season and a good league campaign.

I agree with you up to a point. Friendlies are where you try out a few new tactics, blend in your new players, and have a look at some trialists.

Yesterday, Hyde looked far more up for it......but there were 11 trialists striving to impress and earn a gig with a new club !

Next week's two games will hopefully pitch us up against strong lineups from League 2 clubs, and by the time they're over Lee should know precisely what his plan is for Aldershot. I won't be crying if we don't win them......but I'll be disappointed if I can't see a clear indication of where we're aiming to go !

jhcorbett

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 11:24:52 AM »

I take your point but add that there can be a correlation between a bad pre-season and a bad league campaign - the last time we got relegated from the conference under Heathcote we were awful in pre-season and took that straight into an awful league start, from which we never recovered.

Thankfully the current situation is nothing like that.

ASMO

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • oxfords barbers
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 02:48:20 PM »

Last seasons pre season was not good if you recall , but look what happened in the league .

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 05:17:01 PM »

James Walshaw was very unconvincing pre-season. Takes some players a few games to bed in.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 05:39:17 PM »

Some players, like some supporters, can't get themselves up for friendlies, and that's perfectly understandable.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team