PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 I Am a Young Fan
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I Am a Young Fan  (Read 4459 times)

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
I Am a Young Fan
« on: October 01, 2011, 06:03:38 PM »

and I've got a question. Can anybody give me a reason to keep going every week, spending my money and time watching, let's face it, a poor standard of football. Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't just watch United every week on telly? I've had a sh*t week and looked forward to this but now I just feel let down. And that's always the story isn't it? Never seen Alty do very well and it just feels so hopeless.

I'm not saying I am going to stop coming I'm just feeling very p*ssed off after today. I will always be an Alty fan but will I always maintain the same level of enthusiasm? Very difficult at the moment.
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

mikealty

Re: I Am a Young Fan
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 06:17:29 PM »

I am an even younger fan and words can't express how much I agree with you.

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 06:18:34 PM »

It's all part of supporting a football team mate. Unfortunately it's not a walk in the park supporting Alty but for me the small positive experiences we get e.g Grimsby and Darlo away last year make it all worth it. I still think we will make the play offs this year even after today's debacle   .....and to be honest I'd rather go down to Moss Lane and see us lose than watch United win on the telly every week

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 06:19:10 PM »

Because being a football fan rather than just a spectator means you are involved. You get the lows but you also get the highs, and even though the low points (like today) make you wonder why you bother, the highs when they come are some of the best feelings ever. You participate by being there. You can't be a Manchester United fan just watching on the TV, but you can be an Altrincham fan because you were there. And when you go into work/school/college the next day and all the plastic United fans are raving about the latest game they saw in TV, you know that you were out in the pissing rain, freezing your bollocks off just for the hope of, and the moment of enjoyment of, a hard fought win. You get the smug satisfaction that you actually support your team though thick and thin, and that makes you far suprerior to the United shirt wearing plastic fan.

markecky

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 06:28:10 PM »

You dont strike me as a man who enjoys much to be honest so I doubt watching united on the telly would thrill you

There have been some very enjoyable moments this season

There have been a couple of lows as well. Today being one big one

Hamilton

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 06:32:05 PM »

Man United - you watch a football match

Alty - you care

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 06:33:50 PM »

I feel sorry for you mate, I had tottenham 95 t shirt on today, I've no idea why anyone under 30 watches alty, we've been a disappointment for 20 years bar the odd flash, that's why the FA cup is so important, stick with it though mate, when the memories  are made, which they will be, they will be priceless to you
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 06:35:54 PM by Market Dave »

DavidP

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 07:31:04 PM »

Please Please Please do not go and start watching United on tv. Alty needs you and without younger fans coming to our games the club will die. United dont care if you support them or not. They are not bothered about their fans as they have so many. At Alty you are made to feel wanted and you are part of something very special. I have been going to watch Alty for nearly 20 years having moved to the area in 1993 and the people i see at the game are there week in week out.I had no reason to support Alty, but once I had been to my first game I was hooked. Its a drug and i cannot get Alty out of me and even in these bad times I could never lose the love I have for Alty.  I sometimes go to watch City but when i am there i do not feel the sense of belonging I do at Alty. I feel this bacause I see the same faces and know they care as much as me about our club.

Your club needs you

Hamilton

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 07:33:07 PM »

Please Please Please do not go and start watching United on tv. Alty needs you and without younger fans coming to our games the club will die. United dont care if you support them or not. They are not bothered about their fans as they have so many. At Alty you are made to feel wanted and you are part of something very special. I have been going to watch Alty for nearly 20 years having moved to the area in 1993 and the people i see at the game are there week in week out.I had no reason to support Alty, but once I had been to my first game I was hooked. Its a drug and i cannot get Alty out of me and even in these bad times I could never lose the love I have for Alty.  I sometimes go to watch City but when i am there i do not feel the sense of belonging I do at Alty. I feel this bacause I see the same faces and know they care as much as me about our club.

Your club needs you

Spot on

joe

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 08:00:18 PM »

Because being a football fan rather than just a spectator means you are involved. You get the lows but you also get the highs, and even though the low points (like today) make you wonder why you bother, the highs when they come are some of the best feelings ever. You participate by being there. You can't be a Manchester United fan just watching on the TV, but you can be an Altrincham fan because you were there. And when you go into work/school/college the next day and all the plastic United fans are raving about the latest game they saw in TV, you know that you were out in the pissing rain, freezing your bollocks off just for the hope of, and the moment of enjoyment of, a hard fought win. You get the smug satisfaction that you actually support your team though thick and thin, and that makes you far suprerior to the United shirt wearing plastic fan.

Great post!

mikealty

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 08:07:09 PM »

No need to worry, me ( and i'm sure the poster of this thread) will always support alty, whether Premier League or Cheshire league division 1 no matter what league, complete dedication is what football is all about. We don't get too many positives but when we do, cherish them... Alty forever.

RocketDan

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 08:34:29 PM »

I think this video explains it better than i could

http://youtu.be/zc1ev_bxS04

Narcissist

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 08:42:56 PM »

I love watching football, especially at big stadiums with big crowds soaking up the atmosphere. That whole 'going to the match' ritual gives me a buzz, especilly Alty matches.

Any game Ive watched in places like old Trafford, anfield, marseille etc I've stood up and clapped when a good goal was scored. When Alty score I go mental, even if it's just frosty telling me 1-0 on the bb messenger. That euphoria that lasts for a few precious seconds is unique and wont leave me.

Theres no explanation mate, it's football. There's about 100 clubs above us in the pyramid. Fans of most of them clubs could have the same complaint, but just carry on regardless. The 90 minutes of football is about 50% of it for me, if that. You'll soon realise that sat watching man u on telly.

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 08:45:08 PM »

On Thursday when I come out of work I'm going to do the Yankee collection and then I'm going to go and watch the Youth Team at ML for some reason. At least they might have a cup run.
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

Robin Reliant

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 10:11:16 AM »

As a very old fan ,I totally agree with the sentiments expressed by the contributers to this thread.
You don't choose to be an Alty fan, Alty chooses you,and then you're hooked.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 I Am a Young Fan