PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wembley stadium
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wembley stadium  (Read 6598 times)

seasonticket

Re: Wembley stadium
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 12:12:42 PM »

Re the prices mentioned on here. Unless Gordon Brown or his successor give me a bloody big pension rise, I also would consider not going if we got there. 

fuertes

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 01:48:04 PM »

Re the prices mentioned on here. Unless Gordon Brown or his successor give me a bloody big pension rise, I also would consider not going if we got there. 

Understandable. Prices are so high in the top flight/at big arenas that there are a number of people who just can't afford to go.

PS. I happen to like football stadia that look like football stadia. For that reason I despise 'bowls' (see Wembley) and I despise curvy multi-purpose arenas (see the Emirates).

Old Trafford, St. James Park, they're the kind of grounds that make me think, "yeah, this place is awesome".

HallamAlty

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 03:10:32 PM »

I went along on the Alty coach to the FA Trophy final between Kiddy and Stevenage - the first one at the new Wembley.  After hearing my Dad's tales of little leg-room and not-so-great views at the old one I was prepared for the worst.  However -

The new Wembley is mind-blowing the first time you see it - and the excitement on the coach was amazing (even though we weren't playing!).  It's a great day out - which adds to the excitement.  Getting in and out is a big problem I admit - but --

We were sat right up in a corner a few rows from the back and still had an amazing view - could see every inch of the pitch and read the players names on their shirts.  It was a comfy enough place to sit for the afternoon.  The atmosphere - despite being half empty was electric.  (Even though we were sat in the defeated Kiddy end!)  At the end of a tough season it was a fabulous day out.

We took our own sweets and sandwiches to avoid the outrageous prices.  And, unlike most places there wasn't a huge queue for the loos.

Yes - the location is appalling.  And it shouldn't be used for semi-finals, because it means the final is less special.

BUT - its a fabulous stadium.  (and much more 'fit for purpose' these days than the old one)

It would be an amazing experience to see Alty play there, and one I hope I will one day get to see!   :)

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 03:30:33 PM »

Large stadia will never look like proper football venues until they reintroduce standing areas.
Come on Alty!

HallamAlty

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 03:58:53 PM »

I know the majority of people will agree with that - personally, as a short person, I like that being seated means I can see better!

Unfortunately - 'health and safety' worries mean it is highly, highly unlikely that standing areas will return.  (H&S come up with all kinds of rubbish - but to be absolutely fair - a couple of rowdy kids in a standing area pushing each other could end up in disaster, right? - especially in a large venue: domino effect?)

Moss Lane is a true footballing venue - but as far as 'big' stadia go - Wembley is a good one for ensuring that everyone gets a good view

Butty

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 04:22:43 PM »

I agree with what Cestrian said, with regards that the Old Wembly should have been kept, almost simply, because it is Wembley, and the National Stadium be in the midlands, there is still a sense of history kept within the old stadium but there is a new state of the art facility in a much more reachable area for most.

fuertes

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 04:48:41 PM »

Here's a wild idea. Since we can all proudly assert that the Northwest is this country's footballing epicentre, and since if you actually look at a map Newcastle is still a f**king long way from Birmingham, why not have the national football stadium in Manchester?

To be honest I liked the national team moving around the country - that was a great idea. Of course the FA managed to ruin that through greed by having every game at Old Trafford at the end. The Spanish national team play everywhere, including the Canary Islands, it gives people from all over Spain the chance to go.

Doesn't matter now I suppose - just have to put up with a poorly located, non-football ground type stadium with a horse-sh*t playing surface but loads of executive boxes for the fine folk who like to eat a posh meal before watching Lewis Hamilton race Chris Hoy for no apparent reason.

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 08:14:39 PM »

Here's a wild idea. Since we can all proudly assert that the Northwest is this country's footballing epicentre, and since if you actually look at a map Newcastle is still a f**king long way from Birmingham, why not have the national football stadium in Manchester?

To be honest I liked the national team moving around the country - that was a great idea. Of course the FA managed to ruin that through greed by having every game at Old Trafford at the end. The Spanish national team play everywhere, including the Canary Islands, it gives people from all over Spain the chance to go.

Doesn't matter now I suppose - just have to put up with a poorly located, non-football ground type stadium with a horse-sh*t playing surface but loads of executive boxes for the fine folk who like to eat a posh meal before watching Lewis Hamilton race Chris Hoy for no apparent reason.
I agree. They should take it around the country again. But the F.A. want to recoup the £700 million wasted on the over priced stadium. It would be even more wasted if they don't get to host the 2018 World Cup.
They really should be beating teams like us

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 11:15:16 PM »

But the F.A. want to recoup the £700 million wasted on the over priced stadium. It would be even more wasted if they don't get to host the 2018 World Cup.

It'll pay for itself eventually though won't it. It's a long term investment for what another 50 years at least?

RocketDan

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 03:36:15 PM »

they should have really charged £200 a ticket for live earth and that concert for Diana.

missed money if you ask me.

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2009, 04:28:50 PM »

But the F.A. want to recoup the £700 million wasted on the over priced stadium. It would be even more wasted if they don't get to host the 2018 World Cup.

It'll pay for itself eventually though won't it. It's a long term investment for what another 50 years at least?
They could have built at least 2 brand new stadiums for that price. One in the midlands and one in the north. The Millienium Stadium(Cardiff Arms Park) cost a lot less.
They really should be beating teams like us
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wembley stadium