PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Sinnott's success before now
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Sinnott's success before now  (Read 7218 times)

honky druid

« on: August 29, 2012, 03:48:39 PM »

If you look at Sinnott's history, he got Farsley Celtic promoted three times in four years and in most of those years he started slowly or poorly, losing first matches of the season and at home too. Farsley stood firm and after giving him a couple of seasons to get up to speed he started bringing them their reward. OK, it jangles the nerves living through this, but if we try to work with the quirks of his style rather than always calling for him to be booted out we might just remember that fans being positive even when things seem negative are what makes teams' winners. It's not all down to the Boss, our support needs to be consistent too.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 04:26:09 PM by honky druid »

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Sinnott's success before now
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 03:51:47 PM »

support needs to be consistent too.

Christ, you're new here aren't you?

We've been ridiculously patient for the best part of 20 years thanks, you're post is it at best unknowledgable, at worst condescending and rude.

At virtually any other club there'd be proper mutinies with what we've had.

p.s. top trolling to be fair!

honky druid

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 04:14:56 PM »

"you're post is it at best unknowledgable, at worst condescending and rude".

Trolling? Unknowledgeable? Well I'm just as much in the ground as you are and I feel the same frustrations. It's all a question of perspective. From mine I don't think it's condescending to remind the more negative of our supporters what the word means; you don't just cheer when it's good, you cheer to help make it good. Far too often we're too quiet till we've got the ball. Or shall we just teach our kids to shout foul abuse if we're not happy, like the Alty fan standing nearby me the other week ..?

« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 04:38:15 PM by honky druid »

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 04:39:48 PM »

Ok.

I still think after 20 years of not very much even our 'negative' supporters understand the concept of support though.

ForeverAlty

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 05:10:02 PM »

Honky (strange name) has a point, Farsley had less money and fans than us and Lee got them to the BSP.

Aslong as he gets his head straight and finds a solid plan he can do the same for us!

taxi Phil

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 06:05:24 PM »

I'm 65 in November. Will I live long enough to see the fruits of Lee's long term plan ?

Nonleaguer

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 06:59:29 PM »

To add some balance, what has Lee achieved in his Post Farsley days? Yes his tenure at Port Vale was unfortunate due to back room issues and people with other agendas but what are his other succeses?

bumble

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 07:15:48 PM »

To add some balance, what has Lee achieved in his Post Farsley days? Yes his tenure at Port Vale was unfortunate due to back room issues and people with other agendas but what are his other succeses?

Well he had 1 job at BPA finishing 7th (2pt off PO) after a bad start, in his second season he failed to hit the ground running after a summer spending spree, so he left in the October with the team finishing 2nd

(according to wiki)

bighairedmike

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 07:16:24 PM »

Its hard to have success when you take time some time out of the game wouldn't you say?

bumble

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 07:17:47 PM »

Its hard to have success when you take time some time out of the game wouldn't you say?

Indeed, and this is only his 4th job as a manger

whopper

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 07:36:46 PM »

I dont think he will be here past january to be honest, its a circus that has to halt at some point.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 07:44:40 PM »

I'm 65 in November. Will I live long enough to see the fruits of Lee's long term plan ?
ha ha after a sh*t start to the season and after Monday that has really cheered me up thank you

Im nearly 40 and im getting worried :)
ParkINson's red and white army

RocketDan

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 10:44:25 PM »

from wiki:
The 2006–2007 season saw Sinnott steer Farsley  to a third promotion in four seasons. Despite finishing fifth in the Conference North, Lee lead the club to victory in the play offs ensuring Farsley Celtic's first ever appearance in the top flight of Non-League. In the play off campaign, Farsley beat favourites Kettering Town in the semi final, before going on to beat Hinckley United in the final played at Burton Albion's Pirelli Stadium. In the final Farsley Celtic had been 3–2 down with just over ten minutes remaining before two late goals saw a remarkable comeback and a 4–3 victory.

Hypothetical question and a big IF........ suppose Farsley didn't score those two late goals in the playoff final, and didn't get promoted in 2007 - would Lee have even been on the shortlist for Altrincham manager? OK, so nobody can knock his ability as manager at a lower level (as shown by his success in the Northern Premier League and first division), but his record in the Blue Square North and Premier is hardly outstanding - finishing 5th and scraping through to the conference national by the smallest of margins, then going on to be relegated the next season. Has his reputation as a decent manager at this level been built on those two late goals or am I being too harsh? Can' t help but thinking if he was a top manager he would still be at Bradford PA.

Going back to the original point about the fans - Whilst I am willing to get behind the team until i am blue in the face and my vocal chords are ruined, I for one can't see us getting out of this league with Sinnott at the helm, at least not without some serious financial backing.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 11:52:16 PM »

I really cannot believe that things have now reached the stage where we are re evaluating a performance by Farsley five years ago in order to, it seems to me, provide more ammo for the Anti-Sinnott brigade.

Shall we also re visit the game where we qualified for BSN by scoring after about 90 seconds and then defending for the next ninety one and a half minutes or maybe how things may have been different had Eddie Hussin not punched the ball into the goal, Gary Talbot not scored after the ball rebounded back into play off the advertising hoardings or we scraped past Nuneaton on penalties and Kettering due to an Own Goal.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 12:43:58 AM »

I really cannot believe that things have now reached the stage where we are re evaluating a performance by Farsley five years ago in order to, it seems to me, provide more ammo for the Anti-Sinnott brigade.

Shall we also re visit the game where we qualified for BSN by scoring after about 90 seconds and then defending for the next ninety one and a half minutes or maybe how things may have been different had Eddie Hussin not punched the ball into the goal, Gary Talbot not scored after the ball rebounded back into play off the advertising hoardings or we scraped past Nuneaton on penalties and Kettering due to an Own Goal.

Firstly, it wasn't Gary Talbot who put the ball into the net after it rebounded back into play against Alfreton in 2004.
It was Eddie Hussin.
And we actually went on to lose that game 2-1 anyhow.

And I have to say that you are doing the 2004/05 team a disservice in your description of that valiant 3-2 victory at Kettering Town.
I can't believe that any Alty fan who attended that particular game would write about it in those terms.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 12:52:52 AM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team