PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Question for the cult/flynny
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Question for the cult/flynny  (Read 5510 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: October 14, 2008, 11:16:23 PM »

Not being one to tempt fate, however we've now won three conference games on the trot, a feat we've managed on I think three?? maybe four??? occasions since our return to the confernce, however Im struggling to remember, the following, should we achieve a win at weymouth on saturday, it will be four on the bounce, when was the last team we managed four straight conference wins chaps? I remember a run of three in the brief spell back up under bernard,including the famous doncaster alamo,but when did we last put for consecutive conference wins on the board,was it that season, or are we going back to about 1994?.

P.s blame me if we lose on saturday.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Question for the cult/flynny
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 12:04:18 AM »

I've got the answer to this one mate.

Previous to the Almo sequence you mentioned, scrub the 1996-97 season we were a bag of toss and didn't come close, it was September 1995.

We'd started of with 3 consecutive defeats before 2 home 1-1 draws with Gateshead and Kidderminster.

We the got our first victory with a late 2-1 comeback at Southport, Carmo hiiting a 30 yard injury time winner, we then won 3-0 at home to Bromsgrove and Morecambe, 2-1 away at Slough (not the game Pybus scored in) and finished it with a 3-0 win at home to Halifax when we were excellent. Andy Green got a couple, inc 1 from about 40 yards. Neill Hardy at that time was an excellent replacemnt for Neil Morton.

thegazelle

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 12:16:48 AM »

do we still hold the conference record for the most consecutive wins. the sort of record teqams like oxford should be pissing

ps by in comparison to the arrogant south midlands murder capital tinpot city fans, how even minded are wrexham and mansfield fans

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 12:37:57 AM »

I've got the answer to this one mate.

Previous to the Almo sequence you mentioned, scrub the 1996-97 season we were a bag of toss and didn't come close, it was September 1995.

We'd started of with 3 consecutive defeats before 2 home 1-1 draws with Gateshead and Kidderminster.

We the got our first victory with a late 2-1 comeback at Southport, Carmo hiiting a 30 yard injury time winner, we then won 3-0 at home to Bromsgrove and Morecambe, 2-1 away at Slough (not the game Pybus scored in) and finished it with a 3-0 win at home to Halifax when we were excellent. Andy Green got a couple, inc 1 from about 40 yards. Neill Hardy at that time was an excellent replacemnt for Neil Morton.

Ballers,

I remember that goal from Andy Green well - an astonishing dipping volley from just inside the opposition's half.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

radcliffe alty

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 10:14:43 AM »

I seem to recall we went on a crazy unbeaten run in the last relegation season from the Conference - was it 2000/2001? Sadly, I think nearly all of them were a draw.

thegazelle

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 10:33:56 AM »

it was known in football circles as the Landon 90 run

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 12:33:50 PM »

We did . 14 games unbeaten. In fact after 2 defats at the end of the we went a further 7 games without defeat, even won a few of them.

2 defeats in 23 games, 10th in March. Safe as houses.

radcliffe alty

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 02:58:07 PM »

Didn't we go down that season on about 46 points - about 12 more than second bottom?

I seem to recall thinking we may be in a bit of sh*t after a 1-0 home defeat against Hayes on a Tuesday night.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 04:32:04 PM »

We've now had FIVE consecutive league clean sheets at Moss Lane.

I have gone back to 1966-67 and cannot find another example of this.

We managed four in 83-84 and 79-80 as already mentioned.  And we managed it three other times in the seventies (ended by Vics on 2 occasions).

But I couldn't find five anywhere.

Perhaps I missed one in the Unibond years!

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 05:21:48 PM »

We managed four in 83-84 and 79-80 as already mentioned.  And we managed it three other times in the seventies (ended by Vics on 2 occasions).

I remember that we went over 1000 minutes without conceding a goal in 1974, however I have no idea how many of these minutes were at home.

If I remember correctly it was Gainsborough Trinity who scored against us to break the record in a 1-1 draw at Moss Lane.The game was played on a Friday night,possibly to avoid a clash with the Grand National :o

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 05:26:00 PM »

Didn't we go down that season on about 46 points - about 12 more than second bottom?

I seem to recall thinking we may be in a bit of sh*t after a 1-0 home defeat against Hayes on a Tuesday night.

That was a vital game.We lost 2-1.Hayes scored after about two minutes.Keith Russell missed a vital penalty in the first half & we were 2-0 down when substitute Richard Landon grabbed a late consolation.We were so bad that Landon got our MOTM despite being on the field for only about ten minutes.He was so embarassed by this that he refused the presentation.They were made  in The Noel White Suite in those days.

That was the start of a nightmare run after three weeks without a league game & we went down despite being in the top half in the middle of March :o
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 05:28:18 PM by Brian Flynn »

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 06:08:50 PM »

I remember that we went over 1000 minutes without conceding a goal in 1974, however I have no idea how many of these minutes were at home.

If I remember correctly it was Gainsborough Trinity who scored against us to break the record in a 1-1 draw at Moss Lane.The game was played on a Friday night,possibly to avoid a clash with the Grand National :o

Father Flynn,

Details from 1974:

26th January
Altrincham 4  Bangor City 0

2nd February
Gainsborough Trinity 0  Altrincham 1

16th February
Altrincham 4  Netherfield 0

23rd February
Fleetwood 0 Altrincham 2

2nd March
Gainsborough Trinity 0 Altrincham 1
(NPL Cup First Round)

9th March
Buxton 0  Altrincham 3

10th March
Barrow 0  Altrincham 3

17th March
South Shields 0  Altrincham 0

23rd March
Bradford Park Avenue 0  Altrincham 0

25th March
Altrincham 1  Morecambe 0
(NPL Cup Second Round) 

29th March
Altrincham 1  Gainsborough Trinity 1
Monty Brown scored for the visitors after 15 minutes.
The awesome Joe Pritchard equalised from the penalty spot after 67 minutes.
This match was indeed switched to the Friday to avoid a clash with the Grand National.
The Altrincham Guardian match report describes Graham Heathcote as being "enigmatic"....!

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 11:26:49 PM »

Father Flynn,

Details from 1974:

26th January

2nd February

16th February

23rd February
Fleetwood 0 Altrincham 2

2nd March
(NPL Cup First Round)

9th March
Buxton 0  Altrincham 3

10th March
Barrow 0  Altrincham 3

17th March

23rd March

25th March
(NPL Cup Second Round) 

29th March
This match was indeed switched to the Friday to avoid a clash with the Grand National.
The Altrincham Guardian match report describes Graham Heathcote as being "enigmatic"....!

We must have conceded a relatively early goal in the game prior to beating Bangor City at Moss Lane or perhaps we didn't quite make the 1000 minutes :-\

I'm seriously impressed with myself that I remembered the Grand National link.....I'll definitely make an appointment with my therapist in the morning :P

Wibble :-X

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 07:44:43 AM »

I remember that Friday night draw with Gainsborough
The biggest roar that night came from the Alty dressing room - when Gerry Casey entered wearing a 3 piece suit.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 04:55:40 PM »

Father Flynn,

Details from 1974:

26th January

2nd February

16th February

23rd February
Fleetwood 0 Altrincham 2

2nd March
(NPL Cup First Round)

9th March
Buxton 0  Altrincham 3

10th March
Barrow 0  Altrincham 3

17th March

23rd March

25th March
(NPL Cup Second Round) 

29th March

We must have conceded a relatively early goal in the game prior to beating Bangor City at Moss Lane or perhaps we didn't quite make the 1000 minutes :-\

I'm seriously impressed with myself that I remembered the Grand National link.....I'll definitely make an appointment with my therapist in the morning :P

Wibble :-X

Monsignor Flynn,

The game prior to the Bangor City match was:

19th January 1974
Cheshire Senior Cup
Altrincham 1  Runcorn 2

Graham Heathcote put Alty ahead (41 minutes) but then Runcorn replied through Barry Whitbread (72 minutes) and Barry Howard (77 minutes).

So, by my calculations, the total time that we went without conceding a goal was 928 minutes.

Looking at the Runcorn team on that January afternoon back in 1974, I note that it contained SIX players who had either played for Alty previously or who went on to play for the Robins.

Can you name all of them?

Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team