News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 78 team against current team

Author Topic: 78 team against current team  (Read 3061 times)

thegazelle

« on: July 16, 2007, 05:44:21 PM »

is it my deluded ageing brain or would that team walk in to every position as an improved replacement.

only doubt in my mind stuart coburn might keep peter eales out unless it came to a drinking competition as a tie breaker.

and colin little versus john rogers i think john rogers just with heading power singing it

class of 78 please discuss

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: 78 team against current team
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 05:50:16 PM »

is it my deluded ageing brain or would that team walk in to every position as an improved replacement.

only doubt in my mind stuart coburn might keep peter eales out unless it came to a drinking competition as a tie breaker.

and colin little versus john rogers i think john rogers just with heading power singing it

class of 78 please discuss

i have to disagree i believe fitness much higher  standard nowdays , quality about same

coburn and little definitely in it , maybe lawton and tinson too

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 05:57:57 PM »

Can't say. Would think Coburn would though, who was up front for the 78 side Rodgers and Johnson. Maybe Col would, dunno about Tinson, Lawton would never break into a midfield containing King, Heathcote, Johnson and Howard in a million years.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 06:09:05 PM »

The only two players that we currently possess who would have even the remotest possibility of breaking into the 1978 team are Stuart Coburn and Colin Little.

Even then, I would be reluctant to swap Coburn for Peter Eales, who, besides being a great character, was a very good goalkeeper.

Johnson and Rogers had a great understanding, so I would not split that partnership.

You could substitute Ian Morris with Colin Little....but then the balance of the team would be upset.

So, how about Colin Little on the bench instead of Joe Flaherty?   
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
How about the 91 team and the 78 team then?
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 06:19:34 PM »

Cult?

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 06:38:50 PM »

players are much fitter nowdays at this level of football

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 06:50:18 PM »

As has been said the level of fitness is higher now but then again so is the standard of the playing surface and the degree of protection offered to players by Referees.

My contribution to what really must be a purely hypothetical debate of course would be to say that really only Stuart Coburn would usurp his 1978 counterpart

Also it would take a braver man than me to tell Kingy, JR, Mal Bailey et al that they weren't in the team :)

thegazelle

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 07:26:46 PM »

i agree the fitness is much higher and am quite convinced the protection given to players would be a disadvantage as the team of 78 gave out more than they took.

forwards were johnson and rogers so little not getting in my team there
midfield    morriss king heathcote davison cant see him shifting anyone there

he's on the bench then instead of joe flaherty

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 10:55:59 PM »

Great thread, hard to say the as the teams of  78-80 were immensive, but again were the opposition as strong? For me Jeff Johnson.JR, Barry Howard, Paul Cuddy, Graham Barrow, Peter Densmore, Paul  Showler,Kingy, Ken McKenna ,johnny D, were THE greats although not all together. As a kid though it was Dennis Fidler, Johnny Worth,never saw Swindells, but wasn't a good judge of skill maybe then? Loved Lennie Dickinson and Alan Wolfe too. Better free kick blaster than Charlton!

For me Coburn is better than Eales, Stepney etc always felt comfortble with Connaughton. And Jeff Wealands.

Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Jezza

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 04:55:27 AM »

The only person would get in from the current squad is indeed Colin Little for Flaherty...judging by his boxing day antics he could even push Joe for the stroppy getting carded stakes.

Tinson and Lawton?????? no disrespect but they aint fit to be the boot apprentices to those legends.

Stuart Coburn was deffo equal to Eales but Eales was of that era...Stu would like completly out of place with his skin head and lack of handlebar moustache....wonder what he'd look like with long '70s hair and facial bush?

Imagine that '78 team with todays level of fitness....frightening! (if they could lay off the beers)

And yes the opposition was equal comparably..especially the football league rubbish we used to beat week in weeek out.

York Alty

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 02:54:52 PM »

As ever these are interesting debates, with good points on all sides.

What do the teams have in common?  The team of 78 had total commitment to Alty, unquestionable desire to do well for the club and themselves.

I beleive that some of the current squad / team have that same commitment (Rodders and Stuart Coburn just two examples).  We know that Lewis Chalmers didn't have that same level of passion, oterwise he'd have stayed, the new boys we simply don't know about yet.

How about comparing the two sides at the end of this coming season?

ANYWAY

COME ON ALTY
COME ON ALTY
COME ON ALTY

thegazelle

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 04:03:53 PM »

the thread was not intended to decry any of the new team and their commitment to the cause . it was intended as an oportunity for us dodderers to reminisce once again apologies but there is not a lot of football going on and our minds tend to wander these days.

indeed come on alty and there are very few who have sung that (or anysong)louder and prouder than I

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 10:15:22 AM »

I think that there would not be a lot of difference in the fitness lvl of the teams from bothe eras.As for stu looking out of place we could always get him a wig.I for one will not be saying which is a better team and which is not,even though i watched Alty throughout from about 1963 to 1978 when i moved to Devon,but still managed a few game a season even after that time.The one thing that is different though is the 70s team would tear intop the opposition right from the off,in fact Kingy would start before kick off,there is a lot more respect in the game today.
Harold
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team