Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Did anyone on here ever see Alty play at Kirkby Town?

Author Topic: Did anyone on here ever see Alty play at Kirkby Town?  (Read 2904 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: May 14, 2008, 08:29:54 PM »

I've just acquired a copy of the programme from the Kirkby Town v Altrincham fixture in the Northern Premier League back on Friday, 22nd January 1971 (Alty won 5-4, incidentally).

The Kirkby Town team included a certain John King.

So, has anyone got any memories of Kirkby's ground?
Did it have a track running around it by any chance?

They only lasted two seasons in the NPL: 1970/71 & 1971/72.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Did anyone on here ever see Alty play at Kirkby Town?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 10:13:32 PM »

Yes.
I was there (and have the programme too!)

Only a 20 year old whipper-snapper at the time.

It was a bit of a nightmare trying to find it - asking directions from people it was impossible to understand.
Strangely they weren't economic migrants (in today's sense of the words) but scousers of irish descent who seemed to have developed a new language all of their own! (nice set of blokes though). We gave some a lift to the ground in my trusty mk1 cortina.

My memories of the game are sketchy - apart from the v small crowd and the avalanche of goals - The stadium had a track around it, yes, but I can't remember whether it was athletics or speedway (!) I must be getting older.

I like to flatter myself that I remember Kingy kicking lumps out of the Alty lads (Barry Ashworth in particular) but I can't remember now whether that's just my imagination playing tricks on me again.

We weren't 'behind the door' in the clogging department ourselves in those days with Johnny Bain, 'Bopper' Taylor, Micky Gannon and Tony McLoughlin all turning out that night (my memory's not improved - I've just dug out the programme)

Johnny Worth and the fabulous Jackie Swindells in his 'twilight years' for us up front!

Happy days!

PS: You just KNEW it would be me who would reply to this one didn't you, Cult?!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 10:17:49 PM by Saughall Robin »
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

george

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 10:25:27 PM »

Needless to say I was there only being a very young 32 year old.  The winning goal in the 5-4 win was scored by JACKIE SWINDELLS, 2 of the others were sored by GED CLEARY. Kirby Town's sub that night was GEOFF DOVER who had been released by Altrincham. The track around the ground was a stock car track if my fading memory serves me right.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 12:05:36 AM »

'Bopper' Taylor

I think this might just prompt a first ever post from Tony Spilsbury!

Old Bopper eh?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 12:19:30 AM »

Yes.
I was there (and have the programme too!)

Only a 20 year old whipper-snapper at the time.

It was a bit of a nightmare trying to find it - asking directions from people it was impossible to understand.
Strangely they weren't economic migrants (in today's sense of the words) but scousers of irish descent who seemed to have developed a new language all of their own! (nice set of blokes though). We gave some a lift to the ground in my trusty mk1 cortina.

My memories of the game are sketchy - apart from the v small crowd and the avalanche of goals - The stadium had a track around it, yes, but I can't remember whether it was athletics or speedway (!) I must be getting older.

I like to flatter myself that I remember Kingy kicking lumps out of the Alty lads (Barry Ashworth in particular) but I can't remember now whether that's just my imagination playing tricks on me again.

We weren't 'behind the door' in the clogging department ourselves in those days with Johnny Bain, 'Bopper' Taylor, Micky Gannon and Tony McLoughlin all turning out that night (my memory's not improved - I've just dug out the programme)

Johnny Worth and the fabulous Jackie Swindells in his 'twilight years' for us up front!

Happy days!

PS: You just KNEW it would be me who would reply to this one didn't you, Cult?!

Saughall Robin,

Well, I did pin my hopes on either your good self or the venerable Thomas George Boyd Heslop as potential sources of information re. Kirkby Town.....and neither of you let me down!

I note that Alty thrashed Kirkby Town 5-0 on New Year's Day in 1971, which surely must have been Kingy's first ever appearance at at Moss Lane?

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 08:58:25 AM »

Yes.

I made a special effort to get to Kirkby because of the New Year's Day performance*. I thought we would be in for a repeat as they were so poor. Instead we got another spectacle!

*The days of the massive wins in the Cheshire League were rapidly fading memories by that time!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team