News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Did the BBC get this one right?

Author Topic: Did the BBC get this one right?  (Read 3414 times)

York Alty

« on: April 13, 2010, 01:20:59 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/chrischarles/2010/04/quotes_of_the_week_21.html

"You're gonna be here for years!"
Altrincham fans to Oxford with the score 0-0 and Oxford's faint hopes of automatic promotion from the Conference fading fast.

Oxford immediately score...

"We're gonna be here for years!"
Altrincham fans amend their song.

fuertes

Re: Did the BBC get this one right?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 01:35:54 PM »

I thought we just carried on with the original chant, but I was a bit pissed, so might have been oblivious to the great wit of our other supporters  ;D

markecky

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 03:29:08 PM »

I'm Altys second funniest fan after Pete Hughes.

I don't think we sang it just before they scored therfore I think a bit of poetic licence has been added.

I always enjoy "this is all we get at home"..when a massive club comes to town...

Jezza

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 03:52:42 PM »

It's the BBC....so no, they didn't get it right at all....I do not remember the goal coming anywhere near the chant or the chant changing apart from to "non league and you know you are".

The funniest chant coincidence of timing I can recall was at leigh at 2-0 up, while the alty fans were mid "2-0 to the altrincham" chant leigh scored on the 'm' of altrincham....there was absolutly no break as the chant simply continued "2-1 to the Altrincham".

can't remeber if that was the actual chant, may have been the 'in your cup final'................

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 04:37:37 PM »

Swansea offering to the Cardiff fans could be sung to many clubs including the Vics.
 What's that coming over the hill. Is it the Taxman, is it the Taxman?
They really should be beating teams like us

casper

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 06:15:40 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/chrischarles/2010/04/quotes_of_the_week_21.html

"You're gonna be here for years!"
Altrincham fans to Oxford with the score 0-0 and Oxford's faint hopes of automatic promotion from the Conference fading fast.

Oxford immediately score...

"We're gonna be here for years!"
Altrincham fans amend their song.

Typically the BBC get it wrong..... again... (just like most of their match reports)

If anyone knew this club, then they will know our ambition is to do well in this league. Promotion is way off in our thoughts.

the chant was "you're going to be here for years". we even sang it whilst at 0-1 too.

Just the beeb trying to be a bit comical with the situation.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 06:20:33 PM »

I don't mind the BBC getting this wrong if it shows the Alty fans as clever & witty!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 08:36:58 PM »

The funniest chant coincidence of timing I can recall was at leigh at 2-0 up, while the alty fans were mid "2-0 to the altrincham" chant leigh scored on the 'm' of altrincham....there was absolutly no break as the chant simply continued "2-1 to the Altrincham". can't remeber if that was the actual chant, may have been the 'in your cup final'................

It was. Myself and Mrs Saughall were singing it too. It was a great example of mass consciousness that because we decided to change to chant without any prompting when the goal went in ... and everyone else did too.

Who says Alty fans don't sing from the same hymn sheet?

My favourite memory of that match was when we scored the second goal and an Alty fan, too excited to articulate, just kept shouting "F*** off, F*** off" to nobody in particular, just with sheer exuberance. Great  :) (Know this sounds mental having read it through, but I guess you had to be there!)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Butty

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 09:03:49 PM »

In fairness to the BBC, they are usually sent in by people who heard them at games (In short, blame Oxford)
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team