PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Changes afoot?
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Changes afoot?  (Read 4944 times)

teasybeaver

Re: Changes afoot?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 09:49:01 AM »

Rose and Munroe at the back for me. Tinson is too slow and past his best. Rose is by far the best centre half we have and this was proved last season that this partnership worked well. Only trouble is that GH will always play Tinson just like he always favoured Band last season B4 Rose.

100% spot on. I have nothing bad to say about GH but I do think with Rose and Munroe at the back we cope better with the pace that tears us apart time after time after time!

Jezza

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 11:05:55 AM »

I've been to no games this season but get the following feelings from what i've read.

Stu or Acton in goals...Richard has proved himself and we are almost at the shilton/clemence stage where they could share the job. We are belssed indeed.

Lame....good signing at right back...picks himself.
Tinson...had doubts about the merits of this signing..thought as a 37yr old giving up full time status he'd wilt as quickly as a sheep being interfered with on a hot day.
Munroe and Rose our best centre half pairing...
In the world wide shortage of left backs I'd go for Warren at left back....I am amazed though as every team we play seems to have an Ashley Cole quality left back...even the likes of cammel llaird and the crap we play in the FA Cup.

Seems to me it's best to go 3 up early and try and defend than fight back late on from a goal down so;

Pottsy to start...all he's got to do is stand on the wing and driblble to the touchline about a dozen times setting up two goals and scoring one...sub him with rod at half time
Lawton IS A CENTRE MIDFIELD PLAYER WHO CAN TACKLE AND MAKE SURGING RUNS NOT A RIGHT WINGER.
Team Whalley up as playmaker with Val as back up if he don't pull his weight.
Senior on left seemed to do quite well in this position alst season.

Leaves us at the moment with Joe & Pat up front as Rod is a sub, Litttle's got himself sent off and berkley's got himself on int duty. But our best pairing will be little and Berkley i think....Joe is a luxury creative player who doesn't score enough goals...another wage we could have used on attracting the left back and centre forward we neeed. Credit to joe though as his effort for Alty has been as always appreciated by the fans..imagine if he was a lazy bugger!!??

I think the early signing of Tinson would have been better spent on a left back or a strapping centre forward which are the two areas that everyone recognised as being crucial.
If we can get lawton or Val motoring alongside Whalley he will prove to be a quality signing but we knew before we signed him from that forum report he doesn't get his shirt dirty.

I'll have a job soon and will be able to afford to come to the games and give a more accuarte summing up.

I won't say heathcote out as everyone gets upset when I say heathcote out so I wont say Heathcote out,

altyf

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 12:04:52 PM »

I think the early signing of Tinson would have been better spent on a left back or a strapping centre forward which are the two areas that everyone recognised as being crucial
Its a close one between rose munroe and tinson for our best centre halfs, but whilst left back and centre forward may have required more attention, I think the management were looking for replacement once bandy left because if munroe or rose got suspended or injured we'd have been in a bit of a sh*t hole without a replacement like tinno!

Jezza

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2007, 12:07:55 PM »

Meanwhile we go long term without the two crucial positions....but we've got cover for centre half.

Odd reasoning.

Good job we're OK for goalkeepers!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2007, 12:08:56 PM »

I think the early signing of Tinson would have been better spent on a left back or a strapping centre forward which are the two areas that everyone recognised as being crucial
Its a close one between rose munroe and tinson for our best centre halfs, but whilst left back and centre forward may have required more attention, I think the management were looking for replacement once bandy left because if munroe or rose got suspended or injured we'd have been in a bit of a sh*t hole without a replacement like tinno!

Possibly Lane as an emergency centre half?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

altyf

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2007, 12:16:13 PM »

The point is at the end of the day, we needed someone at centre half when bandy left...im not going to argue that we are desperate for a left back or a prolific goalscorer but bringing tinson in was the right thing to do in my opinion!

Jezza

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2007, 12:34:59 PM »

Who knows? Tinson may bond with munroe and be part of the best centre half pairing since Bailey and Owens...

I think if you are short of cover for centre half (although as Cult says their are options like Lane and put Scott or As at right back) but you are absolutly desperate for left back and a big target man....most would go for the position you are desperate for.

I know left backs don't grow on trees but using up your budget on 'cover' doesn't exactly help does it?

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2007, 12:46:30 PM »

Having only seen the Exeter game it is slightly difficult to judge but I have read enough on here and directly off people who have been going for years to know that it is just not good enough at the moment. I think a large part of the frustration is that with the background and experience of people we signed in the summer, the squad undoubtedly looks better on paper than it did last year. However, they have still to deliver and if we don't win today with Shots and Oxford coming up it's beginning to look a bit bleak.

mikejenks

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2007, 02:45:38 PM »

Saturday was one of the poorest showings for a long while. GH tooled up for a campaign in the Conf North and clearly we were not up to it. The crowd was less than 900 so without the Gray's contingent, pretty poor. Quite a few used the open door at half time to get back to the King George - I wish I had, particularly when Aspinall was announced as Scotties replacement. The price has gone up, the quality down. Little is a bit slower but the new signings, while clearly having ability, do not have pace and strength. We are doomed.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2007, 07:34:34 AM »

Little being slower is a good point.

Rose and Munroe were/are an excellent partnership. Tinson is a better defender than either of them. I have observed, and again yeasterday, that Tinson defends brilliantly when the onus is on him, i.e. wins his headers, doesn't let a man dribble past him but when it comes to it as a partnership it just doesn't look right with him playing alongside Rose or Munroe. Which is strange as he's forever organising and giving out good instructions, at times Munroe and Aspinall have looked slow to react to this. Laney is constantly switched ona dn does so, consequently looking really solid.

And herein, lies the key perhaps. Apart from obviously being part time players this is probably the first time that Tinson has played in a poor side for the best part of a decade. iirc he left Macc before they went back to being sh*t, won promotion with Shrewsbury, played in a solid Burton side. Perhaps this is exposing him a bit more than he'd like, although as I say I still think he's done well. The Exeter game a good example, he played ever so well but we sonceded four!

And do you know who would be the ideal solid centre back to play alongside him, tall, strong, switched on, good in the air, gets in the way of crosses, just about quick enough, good positionally?

Bandy.  :-[
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Changes afoot?