PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 most unarsed alty player ever???
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: most unarsed alty player ever???  (Read 5823 times)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: most unarsed alty player ever???
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 05:40:11 PM »

My punt would be for Irish international goalkeeper Bobby Irvine who almost singlehandedly helped to get us eliminated from the FA Cup by, amongst other things, throwing the ball into our net! Freddie Pye cancelled his contract following the match and told us speckys about it in the following (I think monday night) programme.

PS We didn't have tinternet in them days! :D
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 10:26:34 PM »

My punt would be for Irish international goalkeeper Bobby Irvine who almost singlehandedly helped to get us eliminated from the FA Cup by, amongst other things, throwing the ball into our net! Freddie Pye cancelled his contract following the match and told us speckys about it in the following (I think monday night) programme.

PS We didn't have tinternet in them days! :D

I didn't see him play for Alty...but remember those tales about his bizarre behaviour when he returned to Moss Lane in  1972...playing for Telford in the FA Trophy replay.I remember Eric Shreeve scoring in a 2-0 victory......who got the other one...Andy Windsor??

Jumpers for goalposts.......enduring image....isn't it??

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 07:15:55 AM »

I was only 10 but I remember that Telford game, Billy Morrey had a blinder. Isn't he some sort of relation of Wayne Rooney, uncle I think?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 05:04:56 PM »

Bobby Irvine's odd behaviour was actually in the game at Telford.  Alty went 2-0 down against a team who had in the three years that the trophy had been in existence lost in the final, won it and been knocked out in the semis - compared to our grand total of one win in the competition in the same period.

There were a large number of barrackers stood behind the goal, taunting him with the FA Cup memory when he turned round to remonstrate with us - only for Andy Windsor (no, not sure) floated a long shot into the unguarded goal.  I'm sure I would be exagerating if I said the same thing happened for Alty's equaliser.

Altyant

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 08:24:34 PM »

Lutel James?

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 11:54:15 PM »

Bobby Irvine's odd behaviour was actually in the game at Telford.  Alty went 2-0 down against a team who had in the three years that the trophy had been in existence lost in the final, won it and been knocked out in the semis - compared to our grand total of one win in the competition in the same period.

There were a large number of barrackers stood behind the goal, taunting him with the FA Cup memory when he turned round to remonstrate with us - only for Andy Windsor (no, not sure) floated a long shot into the unguarded goal.  I'm sure I would be exagerating if I said the same thing happened for Alty's equaliser.

Sorry MG but my original message was a bit ambiguous. The odd behaviour that I was referring to was when Irvine played for Alty.....I heard about it when Telford came to Alty for the Trophy replay in 1972......I think it was Ian Boardman, who helps out in the club shop, who regaled the story to me.

I didn't go to the first game at Telford, but I remember picking up my copy of The Pink in Ashton-on-Mersey village & being delighted with a 2-2 draw & then ecstatic to see that both our goals were listed in the 'Late Goals' column on the back page.I seem to remember Owens (77), Windsor (89)....but that may not be correct.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 08:51:41 AM »

Bobby Irvine's odd behaviour was actually in the game at Telford.  Alty went 2-0 down against a team who had in the three years that the trophy had been in existence lost in the final, won it and been knocked out in the semis - compared to our grand total of one win in the competition in the same period.

There were a large number of barrackers stood behind the goal, taunting him with the FA Cup memory when he turned round to remonstrate with us - only for Andy Windsor (no, not sure) floated a long shot into the unguarded goal.  I'm sure I would be exagerating if I said the same thing happened for Alty's equaliser.

Sorry MG but my original message was a bit ambiguous. The odd behaviour that I was referring to was when Irvine played for Alty.....I heard about it when Telford came to Alty for the Trophy replay in 1972......I think it was Ian Boardman, who helps out in the club shop, who regaled the story to me.

I didn't go to the first game at Telford, but I remember picking up my copy of The Pink in Ashton-on-Mersey village & being delighted with a 2-2 draw & then ecstatic to see that both our goals were listed in the 'Late Goals' column on the back page.I seem to remember Owens (77), Windsor (89)....but that may not be correct.

Memories!
T'internet and Gillette Soccer Saturday are great ways to get up to date scores, but wasn't there a great sense of anticipation waiting outside the local newsagents awaiting the copy of The Pink at 6pm on a Saturday night (for those of us unable to get to the games). It was like Christmas every Saturday and the hope that you don't get the jigsaw or book token of Alty scores.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 09:28:03 AM »

Unfortunately, technology has moved us on from the days of buying a newspaper which contains half a match report!  :D

The non-league section in the middle was good though.
Come on Alty!

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 09:29:58 PM »

The Pink was an institution, Terry Gorry wasn't it who produced the non-league section?

The half match reports were very frustrating but I recall a half column called " The Late Late Shots " giving details of the last part or at least the final score.

Anyone recall on the results page that every Division 4 game had a crowd of 3,000?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

taxi Phil

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 10:08:06 PM »

Used to love my Pink - there was a Prize Sports Crossword in it which I used to win a fiver from at least four times a year !

Dougals Dad

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2009, 12:09:56 AM »

It wasn't the quality that was the great memory (though the non-league page was good and it was one of the best sports papers in the country), it was the sense of anticipation every Saturday evening.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 most unarsed alty player ever???