PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 European Championship final

Poll

Would you go to The Noel White Suite if it opens for the European Championship Final next Sunday?

Yes
- 11 (28.9%)
No
- 22 (57.9%)
Not sure / depends who is playing
- 5 (13.2%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: June 26, 2008, 11:18:05 PM

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: European Championship final  (Read 8477 times)

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: European Championship final
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2008, 10:56:04 AM »

Ah Cos England are the 'super force' of World Football that everyone wants to beat cos they are soooo successful... YIP !

Quite enjoyed England not being in it. Means can have a drink in pubs without 'Little Englanders' around me talking rubbish and can go into work without hearing utter tosh from people who watch football once every 2 years but seem to know it all.

Sums it up perfectly for me, the whole thing is better without England. The TV and papers aren't full of cr@p, you can go out for a drink when and where you like, and there are no white vans and old Ford Fiestas cruising around with St Georges crosses flying.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

VofD

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2008, 12:22:18 PM »

Yes i love football. But it is only interesting when you care who wins. England make a tournament worth watching. We would have more fans than any other country and no team in the tournament can honestly say beating Russia would give them as much pleasure as beating England. I suppose i could put a bet on Croatia to beat Turkey. That looks as near to a certainty as you can get.

Shows what you know about international football. ;D ;D

Reading Robin

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2008, 12:39:01 PM »

Out of interest, can I still be an Alty fan if I haven't really watched Euro 2008?

The point is if you don't enjoy watching the best players in the world play in a major tournament, it suggests that you don't enjoy the actual game that much.  Rather the banter, atmosphere, tension, etc associated with supporting a team.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2008, 03:48:57 PM »

Depends how you define best players ?

I appreciate football, I've played it and watched it for many years and I would much rather watch Altrincham FC than England. At least our players are genuine and don't just think they have a devine right to get this or that and fall over if someone breathes on them.

Its just a month to nurse some players ego's .. But saying that I had a flutter on Russia... !

NauticaPete

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2008, 07:56:54 PM »

I'm sure the mayors of the Austrian/Swiss cities atre chuffed though - no bunches of low life En-ger-land  Burberry T**ts pissed by 2pm, smashing up shops windows even before the game starts ??? Yet another embarassement avoided
Btw: Baldrick:
"The big one is the world cup and to be a success there are three countries that must be included. England, Brazil and Germany. That covers passion, interest, skill, style and hatred" - who is meant to be hating who here ???

markecky

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2008, 08:13:01 PM »

Out of interest, can I still be an Alty fan if I haven't really watched Euro 2008?

The point is if you don't enjoy watching the best players in the world play in a major tournament, it suggests that you don't enjoy the actual game that much.  Rather the banter, atmosphere, tension, etc associated with supporting a team.

Thats the most patronising post I've ever read on here.

Reading Robin

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2008, 10:34:58 AM »

Rounds off the cynicism and sarcasm in this thread quite well then.

It wasn't meant to be patronising, i'd still like to know the reasons for it.  Diving isn't nearly prevalent enough to put you off these games.

Article by Martin Samuel on this topic: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/martin_samuel/article4061072.ece

joe

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2008, 10:44:58 AM »

[/quote

What a load of sh*te! I've been watching football for nearly 30 years now and would rather watch a sunday league pub game than watch England. How does this suggest i don't enjoy football??!!

StretfordAlty

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2008, 10:41:16 PM »

The commentators still refer to England, with gems like:

"And Gattuso, who we here has been learning English."
"henry, fresh from his time at Arsenal."
"Perotta, who was of course born in Ashton Under Lyne."

Sad though because Croatia are out, and that means that we cannot be considered the third best team in Europe, as England would have in the event of a Cratia vs Turkey final.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2008, 04:53:23 PM »

4th Russia qualified ahead of us too remember.

Narcissist

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2008, 05:55:02 PM »

What was lawrenson on last night? He was coming out with more one liners than peter kay.

Euro 2008 has been a good tournament, the lack of English interest has certainly contributed to this. There's absolutely nothing about English National football that makes me proud to be English. We're a far cry from 1966 in terms of team and GW summed up 'England' fans pretty well.

Im not saying I dont like watching England at all, or that I dont celebrate when they score. I just cant stand the whole England thing. Im sure most people just put on a big show about it all so it looks like theyre arsed, I even get that impression from the players.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2008, 09:19:10 PM »

What was lawrenson on last night? He was coming out with more one liners than peter kay.

I don't know about last night but please don't get me started on how he thought Abidal shouldn't half been sent off against Italy or how it wasn't a penalty (either of the three swipes he took).

Jesus wept.

StretfordAlty

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2008, 09:27:59 PM »

Sorry yeah a Croatia vs Russia final, didn't mean to put in Turkey.

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2008, 09:30:58 PM »

Spain for me :)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2008, 09:33:50 AM »

Antbody but the 'Jairmans'!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 European Championship final