PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 European Championship final

Poll

Would you go to The Noel White Suite if it opens for the European Championship Final next Sunday?

Yes
- 11 (28.9%)
No
- 22 (57.9%)
Not sure / depends who is playing
- 5 (13.2%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: June 26, 2008, 11:18:05 PM

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: European Championship final  (Read 8475 times)

Foz

« on: June 19, 2008, 11:18:05 PM »

The club are thinking about showing the European Championship final in the bar at Moss lane if there is sufficient interest from people.

Therefore, to get an indication of the potential interest, it would be helpful for people to register their interest (or not) in attending for the game.

Alternatively, please can people interested email me or get in touch with the club.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 11:20:39 PM by Foz »

baldrick

Re: European Championship final
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 11:42:10 PM »

You can't have an international football tournament without England. I haven't watched any games and i don't care who wins it.

NauticaPete

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 11:50:11 PM »

Typical overrating of the English football team. Look at our record in European Championships, have we not learned that we are distinctly mediocre?
Germany showed us how to beat Portugal tonight;playing for the team and being able to keep possesion of the ball. Ballack also a true winner who keeps possession and leads by example, no-one like Cashley Cole in their team.

Alty365

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 09:37:53 AM »

I have watched most games and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I've obviously been supporting Holland and their football has been top quality. England would have been laughed out of town against most of the sides I've seen (hence why we failed to qualify) and I've also noticed that the refereeing has been particularly impressive.

Looking forward to tonight's game as I've got Croatia in the sweep at work. I'm going for a Croatia v Holland final with the Dutch to win the honours and I'll settle for second prize in the sweep! :)

markecky

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 09:46:34 AM »

I too have Croatia in a sweep at work, although Like Baldrick have not watched a match yet.

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 09:51:20 AM »

I've got Germany in the sweep. Come on! This championship has seen some excellent games - last night's was ace and even games that you'd think would be rubbish (Swiss v Turkey) have been very exciting.

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 10:51:34 AM »

Why would you not watch the European Championships just because England failed to qualify?????

Apart from Brazil and Argentina, its basically a World Cup.  I’m thoroughly enjoying watching the likes of Ballack and Buffon, big game players who produce in big games.  Not watching it just because England are not in it makes no sense whatsoever if you’re a football fan.   

markecky

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 10:59:12 AM »

I don't doubt there have been some great games.  They just hold no interest to me on the outcome.

I bet Aldershot v Torquay on Setanta last season would have been a good game but I didn't watch it as I wasn't  that arsed who won.

I suppose it comes down to how much time you have on you hands.  I'd make time to watch England in a major final, I wouldn't for Turkey.

baldrick

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 11:19:56 AM »

The Euro's have become the international equivalent of the EUFA cup. The big one is the world cup and to be a success there are three countries that must be included. England, Brazil and Germany. That covers passion, interest, skill, style and hatred, all important ingredients for football at the highest level. You could also include Scotland for a laugh as it is always amusing to see them lose to Costa Rica or Peru.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 12:03:30 PM »

I reckon England not being there is an added advantage as you don't have to listen to all of that sh*te from the commentators and pundits alike. England are a very mediocre international side and 1966 was a very long time ago; it's time some people accepted such facts and stopped thinking that England somehow have some god given right to be in a tournament (mind you I do miss being able to support the opposition ;))

I've watched virtually every game so far (apart from the last round of games where two were played at the same time) and although there were a couple of duds, by and large it has been very entertaining.

I had money on Holland before the start of the tournament and therefore have an added interest.

Back to the point of this thread, I certainly won't be boarding a plane to watch the final at Moss Lane. I reckon you'd have more chance of getting a decent crowd down there if there was a home nation involved. As it is, I'd be surprised if there was enough interest.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 12:33:44 PM »

i had a tenner on croatia 12/1 which seeems reasonable now. i think if eduardo was fit they might actually do it

otherwise, after the second round of games i wrote on another board

the spanish will under achieve
the dutch will self destruct
the germans will win in the end
this is the order of things

i see no reason to change my opinion now

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 12:48:45 PM »

The Euro's have become the international equivalent of the EUFA cup. The big one is the world cup and to be a success there are three countries that must be included. England, Brazil and Germany. That covers passion, interest, skill, style and hatred, all important ingredients for football at the highest level. You could also include Scotland for a laugh as it is always amusing to see them lose to Costa Rica or Peru.

Not as funny as seeing them lose to The Faroe Islands eh................come to think of it, one of my funniest moments in football was the fly on the wall documentry with the England manager, Graham Taylor. His reaction when San Marino scored against England after 8 secs (yes 8 seconds for you youngsters out there) was pure class. I had to go to Wythenshawe to get my sides sewn back up and missed Englands 7 goals
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 12:55:59 PM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 12:59:32 PM »

The San Marino goal is on YouTube (just checked).............just look at the England left back.....what a nightmare

Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 01:13:35 PM »

You'll be pleased to know that London Alty (inc affiliates) were at Euro 08 this year, namely Vienna for the Austria v Crotatia game. Couldn't get a ticket - even for the Fan Zone!! - it was mobbed. I know its hard to believe but the packed city with fans from all over Europe managed to hide their disappointment that England weren't there. That said, from a personal perspective I missed the 'If it wasn't for the English you'd be Krauts' and 'The RAF from England' songs - how they would have added to the festival atmosphere. You'll be pleased to know that Rocky's kilt  'its a guaranteed  f*nny magnet lads' did manage to attract the attention of p*ssed up lads from at least 75% of the qualifying teams and precisely 0% from any likely frauleins.

Oh and a word on Scotland. Last time we qualified for a major tournament was 1998 so all those who enjoy our less than impressive displays must have as good a memory as me! We've never lost to the Faroe Islands, I think you mean that mighty draw in the Euro 04 qualifiers. Mind you we've never had a GOLDEN GENERATION to celebrate - perhaps it refers to the tans thetr topping up this summer.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 01:16:22 PM »

You'll be pleased to know that London Alty (inc affiliates) were at Euro 08 this year, namely Vienna for the Austria v Crotatia game. Couldn't get a ticket - even for the Fan Zone!! - it was mobbed. I know its hard to believe but the packed city with fans from all over Europe managed to hide their disappointment that England weren't there. That said, from a personal perspective I missed the 'If it wasn't for the English you'd be Krauts' and 'The RAF from England' songs - how they would have added to the festival atmosphere. You'll be pleased to know that Rocky's kilt  'its a guaranteed  f*nny magnet lads' did manage to attract the attention of p*ssed up lads from at least 75% of the qualifying teams and precisely 0% from any likely frauleins.

Oh and a word on Scotland. Last time we qualified for a major tournament was 1998 so all those who enjoy our less than impressive displays must have as good a memory as me! We've never lost to the Faroe Islands, I think you mean that mighty draw in the Euro 04 qualifiers. Mind you we've never had a GOLDEN GENERATION to celebrate - perhaps it refers to the tans thetr topping up this summer.

Scotland losing to Peru in 1978 was hilarious though.

Cubillas.....Alan Rough....Ally McLeod.....halcyon days!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team