News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Why the Alty board are so careful

Author Topic: Why the Alty board are so careful  (Read 2869 times)

Dougals Dad

« on: January 19, 2009, 10:05:44 PM »

From the BBC website: Minstermen announce £413,000 loss 

York City have reported a loss of £413,000 for the financial year ending 30 June 2008.

Finance director Terry Doyle  added: "We set a break-even budget before the beginning of the season, but, buoyed with the success of the previous season, we put a little bit more into the playing budget."

Although there are other reasons for the loss, this shows how easy it is to get into a loss again.

Altyant

Re: Why the Alty board are so careful
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 10:09:32 PM »

Was interesting to see that they still set their budget as though they are in the Football League and, despite all the losses they arent going to change that

Narcissist

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 10:21:09 PM »

From break-even budget to 400 grand?????

Are they on the right planet? You could understand if they were riding high at the top of the league. How long before they make a reality tv show where gok wan or some other cretin shows a football club how to use their bonce a bit when it comes to balancing the books.

The fans must despair reading stuff like that.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 11:32:38 PM »

How on earth can they make such a loss when they charge £1.60 for a cup of tea....?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

UkrainianPhil

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 12:10:04 AM »

These figures are for season 2007-8 not for this season, where we have the 8th smallest budget in the Conference.

£200,000 of this loss is the debt incurred by having to buy out the tosser who asset stripped the club, and is not reckless overspending as it may appear.

Jezza

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 04:10:35 AM »

I'm glad York are not being reckless and over budgetted by a mere £200k then!!!

At least they set a budget...as Blackadder would say I thought most chairman stuck on a silly hat and trusted to luck.

fuertes

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 08:47:35 AM »

So give or take, if we forget the interest mentioned, they were still losing £20k each month. How can you run a football club like that, especially at this level?

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 08:59:05 AM »

Is there not a transfer fee in there somewhere too. Donaldson or Bishop ? Can't remember the score with Donaldson, think he went on a free ? But Bishop i'm sure they got something fron Bury ?

Once upon a time we weren't so careful, a la our most expensive signing to date, £15k for a player whilst in Unibond... crackers.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 09:16:59 AM by blackpoolalty »

UkrainianPhil

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 10:58:12 AM »

So give or take, if we forget the interest mentioned, they were still losing £20k each month. How can you run a football club like that, especially at this level?

The losses are not necessarily playing budget, it costs a signficant amount of money to maintain an ever declining old ground for example. Plus income loss from falling attendances and incompetent media deals negotiated from the centre.

fuertes

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 11:43:02 AM »

The losses are not necessarily playing budget, it costs a signficant amount of money to maintain an ever declining old ground for example. Plus income loss from falling attendances and incompetent media deals negotiated from the centre.

I heard your chairman or somebody from your board (I can't remember exactly who it was) saying the following:

"We'd had a good season where we reached the playoffs. The next year we took a gamble and upped the playing budget, but the gamble didn't work".

I actually like York City as a football club and York as a place but I really think to be making a £400k loss in this league is absolutely absurd. If it all goes tits up it's the fans who will suffer.

UkrainianPhil

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 11:49:04 AM »

I heard your chairman or somebody from your board (I can't remember exactly who it was) saying the following:

"We'd had a good season where we reached the playoffs. The next year we took a gamble and upped the playing budget, but the gamble didn't work".

I actually like York City as a football club and York as a place but I really think to be making a £400k loss in this league is absolutely absurd. If it all goes tits up it's the fans who will suffer.

They took a gamble LAST season and the losses are covered by the owners of the club, but half of the loss is ground-related.

This season the budget has been slashed. You saw our side for yourselves a few weeks ago - did those players look like they are paid over the odds? If we really WERE going "sh*t or bust" we would be at the top of this league with the other "sh*t or bust" clubs like Torquay, Crawley etc.

Every club has their own stages of development. We will become profitable once we have moved out of our resource-sapping ground into the new stadium. Until then, we have to bite the bullet and pay off loan interest to the tune of £200K+ each season.

In past Alty used to lose money yet the people running the club managed to turn it round. However, part of that success came from exactly the same source as ours will - sale of land owned by the club. You have sold yours and are now doing fine, as we will when our deal is finally resolved in 2012.

As an aside, had Altrincham FC not sold that land would you have made a loss? And, if so, would that mean you were being managed badly as you are claiming York are? You see, it's easy to look at figures and come to the wrong conclusions if you don't analyse them properly.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 11:52:04 AM by UkrainianPhil (YCFC) »

Jezza

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 12:21:25 PM »

The asnwer to your question is no Phil we wouldn't...and if we had it would have been in the 1000s not the hundreds of thousands.

I believe we waited till the money had been received before we spent any of it.

We may post a small loss this year...that's with losing £60k of TV money, going out of the cup and trophy and the credit crunch affecting sponsorship....but again, it will be in the 1000s not the hundreds of thousands.

It is easy to see how the above could have given a conference club in terrible debt though isn't it?

UkrainianPhil

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 12:32:53 PM »

It is Jezza, although even York don't put "potential" cup and TV earnings into the budget at the start of the season!!
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team