Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Should bad refs have this much of an impact on a team?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Should bad refs have this much of an impact on a team?  (Read 5221 times)

Dougals Dad

« on: January 17, 2009, 11:50:43 PM »

Report from the main site: "Manager Graham Heathcote is now faced with a squad further depleted by the bookings today. The BBC reports that Altrincham had 24 fouls awarded against them. For a club near the top of the fair play league this season in terms both of fouls committed and bookings, Altrincham either adopted a different approach from usual to their game today or this match's referee saw more wrong with their play than other officials have done this season. Those at the game who have watched Altrincham all season will know which interpretation is nearer the truth."

Does GH get to send a report to the FA or Conference?

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Should bad refs have this much of an impact on a team?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 11:56:11 PM »

With all due respect to GH, if he had the right to question referees in this way how would he ever find the time to train our players?

I hate to think how much the club would be spending on envelopes and paper!  :D
Come on Alty!

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 12:06:51 AM »

I know I keep going on about this but for Alty's sake can we please stop blaming match officials for everything.

Simply put - don't foul or show dissent and you WILL NOT get a booking.

Really very easy as a concept isn't it and if the players I referee on a Sunday can get it why the hell can't semi professionals and the intelligencia who watch Alty?

Simple answer and I'm sorry if I offend anybody - it's a bloody easy cop out to blame all the inefficiency, ineffectiveness and lack of discipline on somebody else!

Rant over (and I know it's just cost me any chance whatsoever of sponsorship for the run in May)

highwayman

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 08:19:35 AM »

I know I keep going on about this but for Alty's sake can we please stop blaming match officials for everything.

Really very easy as a concept isn't it and if the players I referee on a Sunday can get it why the hell can't semi professionals and the intelligencia who watch Alty?

Simple answer and I'm sorry if I offend anybody - it's a bloody easy cop out to blame all the inefficiency, ineffectiveness and lack of discipline on somebody else!

Rant over (and I know it's just cost me any chance whatsoever of sponsorship for the run in May)

ATS - I agree but it's the inconsistency of the refs that gets up fans' noses.

For example, I popped down to watch the Vics/Histon game for the last quarter yesterday. Vics were already down to 10 men but holding Histon quite easily - Histon were pants!

Aimless ball played through by Histon for Wright to chase. Tynan shepherds the ball out for a goal kick but gets flattened into the Golf Road hoardings for his troubles by a frustrated Wright. 6 minute delay and Tynan gets stretchered off to be replaced by Clarke. No action taken by the ref on Wright. Could have been red. Next minute, Wright, who might not have been on the pitch, is clear down the right and delivers a telling cross for Simpson to head pass a "cold" Clarke ih the first minute of 8 minutes of injury time.

Histon have now come alive and batter the Vics defence and score in the eighth and last minute of injury time.

It was a bit like this year's Alty/Rushden game at home. Mr Joyce sends off Shaun for his first challenge of the game on Bolasie, who went down as if he had been shot but made a miraculous recovery within minutes to flatten poor Robbie. Bolasie only gets a yellow and Robbie's out of action for over two months. Mr. Joyce's decisions influenced the Rushden game that day just as the Vics/Histon ref did today.

seasonticket

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 09:58:29 AM »

I am sure ,ATS, that you will agree that referees are human. If that is the case they can and do make mistakes.
On the other hand if Captain Jack Harkness of Torchwood were an Alty fan I feel sure a few refs we have had would get sent back through 'The Rift'.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 10:14:01 AM »

I am sure ,ATS, that you will agree that referees are human. If that is the case they can and do make mistakes.
On the other hand if Captain Jack Harkness of Torchwood were an Alty fan I feel sure a few refs we have had would get sent back through 'The Rift'.

Lets face it, compared to what else Cpt Jack might do to them, they might prefer to go through the rift!

Scottie

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 12:47:50 PM »

I had to pay £57 to take myself and 4 kids to watch a ref ruin a good day out. Not doing that again. If Alty can charge £2 for kids how can Oxford get away with £10 ? Alty charge £12 for adults and Oxford £17! Not good value for money. Total bill for the day  once petrol, pies, programmes and drinks was £115 !

casper

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 01:11:55 PM »

Now were you actually at the game yesturday? So how can you give a viewpoint that what is being said is not correct? Unfortunately not all referees are as good as yourself, and make mistakes/errors/completly ignore whats in front of them/ or just bow to the home crowd, for example at the game yesturday.
No-one is ownly blaming the ref for our loss yesturday, there goal came from a move where the officials had no-bearing on the ball going in the back of the net. What most of the people who went yesturday are unhappy about are dishing out yellows for a small infringement (slight shirt pull within own half), yet letting a major infringement going unpunished, (awful tackle stopping player making byline, or body check stopping playing entering penalty area). Anyway without you actually being at the game, then with some justification we can give an opinion about the effectiveness of the officials, even if you were there, then you would be hard pressed to follow some of the decisions given.

What mainly annoys myself is the total lack of consistency we have in officials, yes they are not robots, and cannot be programmed to act the same. Yet they all have been trained in the same way, so should be dishing out yellows and reds for the same offences. I bet next week we see shirt pulls all over the pitch and no-one gets booked.

RocketDan

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 02:06:35 PM »

we weren't very good yesterday and despite being fairly solid at the back we didn't create much going forward.

sure the ref gave oxford the benefit of the doubt with 50/50 calls, but i don't you can blame our poor performance on the ref.

as for the red card, we could have kept danylyk on, and played for another 3 hours - we just weren't going to score, its a bit annoying he got sent off for  a bit of a nothing moment, i think it was shirt pulling.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 02:09:00 PM by RocketDan »

andrewflynn

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 02:25:09 PM »

standard of refs at this level is awful, always has been.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 08:47:44 PM »

I think the standard of refs at all levels in the british game leaves a lot to be desired.. I do admit though their job isnt made easier when you have the likes of Andy Gray and the hairy bear (Richard Keys) endlessly pawing over the re-plays of all the controversial incidents.  Anyone can make the right decision if they get to see the incident over and over again.. I also think that Linesmen should take more responsibility and assist the ref a bit more.

Managers at all levels have a habit of blaming the refs for teams under performances.. That I'm afraid is nothing to do with the officials.

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 08:55:15 PM »

Even though Danylyks was never in a mother of Sundays a 2nd yellow, there have been a few occassions this season where he has been lucky to still be on the pitch. I think at Barrow he commited 6 or 7 fouls after his yellow and was still on the pitch. Just got to take it as evening itself out there.

I agree though that generally the refs in this league are awful. Why did both linesmen have to go the melee between Young and Constable ???
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 08:56:27 PM »

ATS - I agree but it's the inconsistency of the refs that gets up fans' noses.

For example, I popped down to watch the Vics/Histon game for the last quarter yesterday. Vics were already down to 10 men but holding Histon quite easily - Histon were pants!

Aimless ball played through by Histon for Wright to chase. Tynan shepherds the ball out for a goal kick but gets flattened into the Golf Road hoardings for his troubles by a frustrated Wright. 6 minute delay and Tynan gets stretchered off to be replaced by Clarke. No action taken by the ref on Wright. Could have been red. Next minute, Wright, who might not have been on the pitch, is clear down the right and delivers a telling cross for Simpson to head pass a "cold" Clarke ih the first minute of 8 minutes of injury time.

Histon have now come alive and batter the Vics defence and score in the eighth and last minute of injury time.

It was a bit like this year's Alty/Rushden game at home. Mr Joyce sends off Shaun for his first challenge of the game on Bolasie, who went down as if he had been shot but made a miraculous recovery within minutes to flatten poor Robbie. Bolasie only gets a yellow and Robbie's out of action for over two months. Mr. Joyce's decisions influenced the Rushden game that day just as the Vics/Histon ref did today.

I too saw the incident with Tynan......Histon's Wright had every right to go for the ball and unfortunately the keeper was injured as a result. At no point did the Vics players surround the ref and protest about the challenge.......anyway according to Mr King, the new keeper Clarke is the best in non-league and coming on 'cold' is not much different to starting a game
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 10:34:46 PM »

If anyone thinks they can do a better job why don't they take up the whistle? It is always the refs fault when a team gets beat. Of the games I have seen in the Blue Square Premier league this season. I think the standard has improved. It is only the Rushden game when I have not been happy with the refs performance. I don't remember too many people moaning about Mr Coote's performance on the last 2 times he has reffed Alty. Refs mistakes even themselves over a season. Not too many people moan when a refs mistake goes in our favour.
They really should be beating teams like us

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 10:47:56 PM »

Why does someone have to become a referee in order to state a valid opinion about refereeing? By the same token, should everyone who criticises the poor performance of a player/team have to play for a team themselves? I don't disagree that bad refeering is too often cited as being the reason for a team failing to achieve good results, but people are still entitled to their opinons on the issue of refereeing, whether they are good or bad.
Come on Alty!
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team