PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 We got away with that !!!
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: We got away with that !!!  (Read 5019 times)

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: January 04, 2014, 05:38:27 PM »

Well done lads for fighting until the end to collect the 3 points !!

I am all for a change in formation but it was clear after only 10 mins today that 5-3-2 was not working. Griffin was up against an excellent right winger in there number 7 and had no cover at all, as our midfielders were very central. We needed width today and would have been better off playing 4-4-2 against a well organised Lemington team. Clee can not play centre mid, the game bypasses him and then he will try a turn which he would get away with on the wing and turns into trouble. Even reverting back to 4-4-2 for the last 8 mins made a difference but that should have been changed after the first 20 mins.

Perry did OK, not sure it was a man of the match performance, however we need to start Walshaw and Reeves.  There are times when Perry holds it up but today it was pointless as we had no width so we reverted back to the long punt up field. It was scrappy and the wrong tactics . The thing with playing Perry and this is NOT his fault is we become scrappy. We don’t get it on the floor, we are a much better team when the ball is on the floor. For me Walshaw and Reeves can easily play together, not a believer that strikers can’t play with each other. If it’s a case that Walshaw and Reeves become a bit more greedy playing together then I would rather have that, because I guarantee we would score more goals with those two. Walshaw brings you energy, he’s strong, good with his head and he continually chases down which Perry doesn’t do, which means teams move up the pitch more easier and quicker against us. At times today the full backs had no-one to pass to so just kicked very high in the air.

If we play 3 at the back this would be my team :-

Coburn

RCB   Havern         LCB Higginbotham   
                CB Leather
RWB Densmore                     LWB Griffin   
         CM Richman        CM Moult             

RCF Walshaw            LCF Clee
                CF Reeves         

Shimpa

Re: We got away with that !!!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 05:43:52 PM »

Whilst I agree we did get away with it a bit I think Perry has been playing really well recently and has deserved his spot in the starting 11. Also we played good football in both Stalybridge games with Perry upfront (even though they weren't much competition)  :)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 05:44:58 PM »

At Leamington we played with Walshaw dropping deep, behind Reeves.  it worked really well until he had t go off injured.  He created loads, arrived late in the box a number of times and we played it on the ground.  Worth trying again I think

ForeverAlty

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 05:49:26 PM »

Perry was good today but MOTM? I don't know

Higginbotham was solid, nothing got passed him and his passing was top, Luca made loads of grest passes too.

When Wally came on he made a huge difference and it was very noticeable, class finish for the 3rd aswell

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 05:51:00 PM »

Wasn't the line up about having three centre backs and filling the midfield to slow their progress? It wasn't pretty but it worked out in the end. Can't wait to see Walshaw's goal again.

jhcorbett

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 05:51:31 PM »

Well done lads for fighting until the end to collect the 3 points !!

I am all for a change in formation but it was clear after only 10 mins today that 5-3-2 was not working. Griffin was up against an excellent right winger in there number 7 and had no cover at all, as our midfielders were very central. We needed width today and would have been better off playing 4-4-2 against a well organised Lemington team. Clee can not play centre mid, the game bypasses him and then he will try a turn which he would get away with on the wing and turns into trouble. Even reverting back to 4-4-2 for the last 8 mins made a difference but that should have been changed after the first 20 mins.

Perry did OK, not sure it was a man of the match performance, however we need to start Walshaw and Reeves.  There are times when Perry holds it up but today it was pointless as we had no width so we reverted back to the long punt up field. It was scrappy and the wrong tactics . The thing with playing Perry and this is NOT his fault is we become scrappy. We don’t get it on the floor, we are a much better team when the ball is on the floor. For me Walshaw and Reeves can easily play together, not a believer that strikers can’t play with each other. If it’s a case that Walshaw and Reeves become a bit more greedy playing together then I would rather have that, because I guarantee we would score more goals with those two. Walshaw brings you energy, he’s strong, good with his head and he continually chases down which Perry doesn’t do, which means teams move up the pitch more easier and quicker against us. At times today the full backs had no-one to pass to so just kicked very high in the air.

If we play 3 at the back this would be my team :-

Coburn

RCB   Havern         LCB Higginbotham   
                CB Leather
RWB Densmore                     LWB Griffin   
         CM Richman        CM Moult             

RCF Walshaw            LCF Clee
                CF Reeves         

Agree with all of that but the formation didn't work, just go 4-4-2.

Jenga

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 05:57:14 PM »

I thought Alty were poor today and no one stood out as MOTM for me.

We got away with a poor/battling performance, but will take the 3 points and move on.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 06:07:11 PM »

Wasn't the line up about having three centre backs and filling the midfield to slow their progress? It wasn't pretty but it worked out in the end. Can't wait to see Walshaw's goal again.

Maybe so but we invited pressure and they deserved something out of that game. MOTM was Coburn with some class saves.

Perry has just done OK, but no-one can look at the Stalybridge games as they were dog muck!!!

I agree about sticking with 4-4-2 in this league but if he felt we had to play 3 at the back I would go with above.

My 4-4-2 team would be

Coburn

RB Densmore
LB Griffin
CB Havern
CB Leather or Marshall

LW Clee
RW Richman
DCM Higginbotham
CM Moult

CF Reeves
CF Walshaw

Anyhow it is 3 points so a massive well done !!!

Jimmy

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 06:47:14 PM »

Very good result well done lads maybe a tad lucky we've been best by worse sides than that

ASMO

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • oxfords barbers
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 11:41:36 PM »

Didn't like our formation , but we were up against a big strong defence , thought Perry looked good held ball well ,  good sub with Walshaw great winning goal , we have really strong looking bench now , need Nicky wide though , but now we at have the players to be able get us up I believe .

taxi Phil

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 07:24:08 AM »

The number of players who were out of their natural positions for all or part of the game (eg Leather, Havern, Clee) still makes me feel that Lee doesn't really know what his best line-up is. Good result against a decent side (who could still force themselves into the playoff picture) and the confidence it will build can only help us push on.

I still have some doubts, but we  CAN win this league. 

ASMO

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • oxfords barbers
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 10:16:51 AM »

The reason for players out of position was because of having Higginbotham , Lee should of either put him on bench or played him instead of Marshall , we  needed Nicky out wide .

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 02:25:47 PM »

The 3,5,2 formation worked quite well for the first 15 mins.  Then the leamington manager sussed it out and moved their fast paced striker to the far right wing behind where the left back would have been.  This gave them the space to break out quickly.  Leamington played well but not convinced at clee in the AMC position.  I suppose he would have been better in the left wing back but that would have meant leaving griffin out.  Lawrie would be better in AMC.  On reflection I think we should have reverted to 442 second half.

Won't see much better team than leamington though, very impressive better than Brackley or Hednesford in my opinion.
Bernard Taylors barmy army

joe

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 04:42:18 PM »

The 3,5,2 formation worked quite well for the first 15 mins.  Then the leamington manager sussed it out and moved their fast paced striker to the far right wing behind where the left back would have been.  This gave them the space to break out quickly.  Leamington played well but not convinced at clee in the AMC position.  I suppose he would have been better in the left wing back but that would have meant leaving griffin out.  Lawrie would be better off in a lower league.  On reflection I think we should have reverted to 442 second half.

Won't see much better team than leamington though, very impressive better than Brackley or Hednesford in my opinion.

I've corrected it for you mate :-)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 05:07:04 PM »

Hardest won 6 points of the season, thought lee called it just right employing all our 6ft + players, there's more than one way to skin a cat and Perry's role was crucial yesterday. Far too many times over the years we've been bullied out of games, wins over Brackley Leamington x 2 and Solihull show we have the equipment to go toe to toe with these big physically imposing sides and pick them off. Leamingtons next two games are against Solihull and north Ferriby and I'd be surprised if both got maximum points. Whilst I understand the concerns regarding formations etc  yesterday, lee deserves some credit, leamington have taken points off most of those above or around us in the last month.And he knew we'd have another ariel bombardment just like we did at there place. But for such a slow start they'd be well in the play off mix, best side to come here this season in my opinion.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team