News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Nuneaton Liquidated

Author Topic: Nuneaton Liquidated  (Read 3902 times)

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Nuneaton Liquidated
« on: June 02, 2008, 10:28:32 PM »

http://www.boro-chat.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2993

At the risk of antagonising Lord Vasey of the Fens and our friends from the New Swill, I've started this thread to discuss the financial problems of one of our old rivals - indeed a team we knocked out of the play-offs only 3 years ago. The Conference are certainly taking no prisoners when it comes to taking the Administration route - as Boston are finding out as well. Do you think clubs will get the message given Halifax, Nuneaton and probably Boston will all be chucked out of the Conference come Saturday?

Alty365

Re: Nuneaton Liquidated
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 10:38:01 PM »

Do you think clubs will get the message given Halifax, Nuneaton and probably Boston will all be chucked out of the Conference come Saturday?

Sadly, no I don't. I am cringing already with every big money player that Rushden and Diamonds sign, then there is Northwich. They don't average crowds of 2,500 between them yet they are both reported to be splashing ludicrous amounts of cash on players.

Only time will tell but clubs seem to be ignoring the warning signs left, right and centre.

Hamilton

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 10:41:36 PM »

Do you think clubs will get the message given Halifax, Nuneaton and probably Boston will all be chucked out of the Conference come Saturday?

Sadly, no I don't. I am cringing already with every big money player that Rushden and Diamonds sign, then there is Northwich. They don't average crowds of 2,500 between them yet they are both reported to be splashing ludicrous amounts of cash on players.

Only time will tell but clubs seem to be ignoring the warning signs left, right and centre.

Agreed, alas I fear there will be more that go the same way.
Well done to the Conference for getting tough. When will the FA follow?

markecky

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 10:55:17 PM »

This is tragic.  Nuneaton Borough are a big club, that Cock and Bear end was a fearsome place.  Its seems incredible that this can happen.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 11:18:15 PM »

Something isn't right in all this. I know clubs can overspend and I don't doubt that they have but they sold Manor Park and moved to Liberty Way.

Someone, somewhere, who shouldn't have, has made a lot of money out of this I feel.

Jezza

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 04:18:50 AM »

hmm well as hulla told us from his high horse once upon a time rules is rules.

Doesn't stop me from saying from saying this is terrible....they've been screwed by the conference twice.

But liquidation suggests their cva wasn't accepted.....did they liquidate after being relegated and as a consequence thereof?

Another club who are part of our history no more then....lets hope they can come back.

Narcissist

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 08:02:58 AM »

Boston, Nuneaton and Halifax means that roughly 5,000 or more regular paying fans will be affected by this in the coming weeks. Many won't go to football matches next season, some will never go again and I imagine most will have to put up with watching dross being ground out by players who wouldn't have had a prayer of playing for them a few seasons ago.

This mess needs to be stopped now. How many people do they want to make miserable before they bring in wage caps and budget restrictions for non-league teams.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 11:28:22 AM »

http://www.boro-chat.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2993

At the risk of antagonising Lord Vasey of the Fens and our friends from the New Swill, I've started this thread to discuss the financial problems of one of our old rivals - indeed a team we knocked out of the play-offs only 3 years ago. The Conference are certainly taking no prisoners when it comes to taking the Administration route - as Boston are finding out as well. Do you think clubs will get the message given Halifax, Nuneaton and probably Boston will all be chucked out of the Conference come Saturday?

....Cambridge City are going as well!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 11:44:46 AM »

What about Crawley?
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

dopamine

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 05:26:08 PM »

Probably not, they seem to start every season with 10 points less than everyone else, so must have some eternal right to stay in existence...

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 07:01:15 PM »

Used to love the games against Nuneaton. My best one was the FA Cup qualifier at Moss Lane when we were in Unibond and them Conference, they had an illuminous orange kit and I think we won 3-0.

Like someone said above they have truly been shafted somewhere by someone !!

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 08:59:48 PM »

Used to love the games against Nuneaton. My best one was the FA Cup qualifier at Moss Lane when we were in Unibond and them Conference, they had an illuminous orange kit and I think we won 3-0.

7-4 Paul Reid hat trick.

altyf

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 09:20:21 PM »

Absolutely brilliant match...Coburn always used to have an absolute blinder against them, and this was the best performance of all. He made save after save and I think he saved a penalty aswell. I think Thornley score to make it 1-0 just before half time?... incredible match
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 09:22:28 PM by Moss Lane Man »

Dougals Dad

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 10:58:46 PM »

Absolutely brilliant match...Coburn always used to have an absolute blinder against them, and this was the best performance of all. He made save after save and I think he saved a penalty aswell. I think Thornley score to make it 1-0 just before half time?... incredible match

You're right about Coburn. He did save a penalty & I remember one save at the Chequers End where he seemed to change direction in mid air to make one of the best saves I have ever seen.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 12:18:11 AM »

7-4 Paul Reid hat trick.

Ah yes indeed, a gloriously entertaining afternoon.

Anyone else remember the B&Q Jazz Band that entertained the crowd before the kick-off?
Colin Chesters spent most of the pre match warm-up in the company of the B&Q dancing girls.....
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Nuneaton Liquidated