Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Back him, or sack him with 8 games left??

Poll

Nearly everyone on here seems to think GH's time is up and don't support him. There's 8 games left, our support counts for everything. Should we:

Back GH until 46 games are played?
- 22 (61.1%)
Trust the board and back him into next century?
- 5 (13.9%)
Oust GH! Better off without him!
- 8 (22.2%)
Stay on his back, he'll listen eventually?
- 1 (2.8%)
Other suggestions?
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: March 25, 2008, 08:57:09 PM

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Back him, or sack him with 8 games left??  (Read 3356 times)

Narcissist

« on: March 21, 2008, 08:57:09 PM »

I understand everyones frustration, but I think we're totally losing sight of where we are right now. We need to support the team and leave the negativity for a while. We're falling apart!

Butty

Re: Back him, or sack him with 8 games left??
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 09:08:17 PM »

Got to stick with him until the season's up, a new manager would have a negative effect at this time of the season. The board seriously need to look at other people im the close season though, and if (which they probably wont) they are going to make a change, it must be done immediately after the season, giving the new man time to prepare a team for next year.

Hamilton

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 09:19:14 PM »

The board has backed him, he stays.

Anything but the full support of GH for the rest of the season is futile. Time to be 100% behind GH

altyf

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 09:36:15 PM »

The board has backed him, he stays.

Anything but the full support of GH for the rest of the season is futile. Time to be 100% behind GH

My thoughts precisely. I have been disappointed with Graham's tactics at times this season, but as a fan I am entitled to that opinion. However, I do not at all blame him for the postition we are in nor do I think we should sack him now. I believe that if we do go down it will be due to the fact that our team was not strong enough at the start of the season, with players like Sedgemore and Whalley, players that brought a lot of promise but never really performed. I can completely see why Graham signed them though. They obviously are technically gifted and unfortunately that turned out to be exactly what we didn't need. We ranted earlier in the season about how they are luxury players and Graham has clearly learned that this is the case and players like Young and King are the types of players we should have been signing. Now we have the strongest team for years and are probably amongst the weakest bottom 6 for years...therefore it would only seem logical that we should stay up...if we show bottle and dont fold under pressure in the last 8 games I think we can do it. Sacking GH now would be pointless, I think we have to wait and see what happens in 6 weeks time before we make any decisions.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 09:38:48 PM by Moss Lane Man »

Jenga

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 09:54:28 PM »

I would have sack him but it is too late in the day now, xmas time was the sacking time if it was going to happen.

bighairedmike

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 09:56:09 PM »

Got it bang on there Moss Lane Man.

GH knew what he wanted to do in January and he said that as soon as the summer transfer window closed. He even said at the fans forum it may turn out to be too late in January and, at the moment, this seems to be the case. I say we should stick with GH until the end of the season and see what happens. I dont think the fact that we didnt know what league we would be in until June really helped all that much either. Grahame knows what he is doing and obviously has a plan for everygame. As he said, You start a game with one point so its best to keep that and try and build on it instead of throwing it away early on and having an uphill struggle for the rest of the match. I agree it may not have worked at the best of times but if GH knew it was going to fail he wouldn't play it. Simple as.

Butty

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 10:04:11 PM »

To be honest though, for the start of the season, you bring in the strongest possible players no matter what. The fact we didnt know what league we would be playing in until july seems irrelevant, as the players we brought in came to altrincham because it seemed attractive to their needs. Part time, good fans, good level of football- even though it could have been bsn.

baldrick

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 10:05:19 PM »

There is no point sacking him unless you have someone better ready to take over. He is doing an impossible job with no money. If GH goes Colin Little will almost certainly go and a few others will probably follow. Back him until the end of the season then give him some money and let him sign some decent players.

Hamilton

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 10:06:42 PM »

To be honest though, for the start of the season, you bring in the strongest possible players no matter what. The fact we didnt know what league we would be playing in until july seems irrelevant, as the players we brought in came to altrincham because it seemed attractive to their needs. Part time, good fans, good level of football- even though it could have been bsn.

Alas, you can only bring in the players you can afford. If we were to be in the BSN with far less money coming in you have to spend less money on players. GH had to work on this basis well into the summer.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 10:20:03 PM »

No one will say GH hasn't made mistakes (GH included) and he had a weaker squad for the 1st half of the season (as discussed above).

Whether it is time for a change is now irrelevant, GH must get total support.

No matter what happens this season, he has been great for Alty over the years.

bighairedmike

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 10:23:54 PM »

Alas, you can only bring in the players you can afford. If we were to be in the BSN with far less money coming in you have to spend less money on players. GH had to work on this basis well into the summer.

Exactly my point. Lower league = lower crowd=lower income = less to spend on players= lesser playing squad. Or that is the way i see it anyway. So, budgeting for that until June, then to have it changed around to a higher league when you have been looking for players suitable for BSN instead of BSP and even then having one of the smallest playing budgets in the league is not a brilliant way to have to start a league campaign.

altyf

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 10:47:25 PM »

Irrelevant of whether you agree with GH's tactics or not, now is the time to get behind him and the team...what are other teams going to think when they come on this forum and see us thinking about sacking a long-serving manager with 8 games left?? There are full time teams (Northwich and Weymouth) with relegation threats...let's not forget we are part time and although we have to admit our last 8 games are hard, if the players can raise their game, we can stay up....coming fourth bottom in this league is an achievement in its own for a part time team and it annoys me that there are 4 relegation spots because if it were 2 or 3 as in previous seasons, I truely believe we could establish ourselves in this league. Obviously we have to deal with the reality and concentrate on finishing 4th bottom but GH has done nothing wrong for me.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 10:53:51 PM by Moss Lane Man »

Butty

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 10:59:56 PM »

OK then, how much more money did he have availiable in July than he did in June?

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 03:07:39 AM »

Polls like this cause divisions that were not necessarily there, they are not a good idea. All true Alty fans should be pulling together with the team and manager at this crucial stage of our season, instead of looking for scapegoats.

The time for these discussions is post season; it is too late now to change anything. Support the team.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Narcissist

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 09:22:58 AM »

Polls like this cause divisions that were not necessarily there, they are not a good idea.

Are you mad? Have you not seen the other 20 threads where people are calling for the managers head, saying his time is up and the ususal 'im sick of our tactics' threads.

If this was the only thread I would agree and never start it, but it would be ridiculous to say im starting a division that wasn't there. That division and how much it annoys me is exactly why I started the thread.

So far the poll is having a positive effect. Look at the results. Its common sense and about time people used it, to realise we need to back GH now and call for time in 6 weeks if need be.

Many of the comments made on this thread by MLM and BHM are the best ive heard all season.

Good luck to GH and the boys for today, Im nervous as usual!!
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team