PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Cote's quotes: Alty 2 Crawley Town 3
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Cote's quotes: Alty 2 Crawley Town 3  (Read 5783 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Cote's quotes: Alty 2 Crawley Town 3
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 06:00:28 PM »

An abysmal record of 11 defeats in 20 league games at Moss Lane.

I blame the officials.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »

There was a lot of niggling from both sides just before Joe was booked on both occasions, I think he was the one that the ref saw, so he was the one that was punished. It is interestng that Steve Evans says in his comments on the game "Joe O'Neill was making a real nuisance of himself". He was clearly upsetting the Crawley players by the way he was playing,  surely that is good.

Having stood in the tunnel all match, my ears are nearly recovered from the decibel levels  Mr Evans and his assistant were reaching. I don't think my ears could take that every week.

I wonder if he had a word with 1 or 2 of his playersto see if they could get rid of Joe?

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 08:04:30 PM »

Dare I use the expression FFS on a family forum? Crawley didn't get Joe O'Neill sent off. He challenged for the ball with his arm raised and and clattered the player. On it's own on most days that would be a booking. Take the blinkers off and stop blaming other people for the teams failings.

markecky

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 08:11:29 PM »

Did he?  People I speak to say he never touched him?

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 08:20:14 PM »

Isn't that the point of blinkers? You only see what you want to see.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 08:29:29 PM »

I also heard he didn't touch him AND he did. At the end of the day it was pathetic tbh, As someone else already pointed out the Ref did clearly stop play on two occasions before O'Neills first yellow regarding the commotion in the box, so whether it be O'Neill or anyone else they had been warned, it was unfortunate that Joe then got booked when it happened again. Really though, to lose a player to two trivial matters is crossly pathetic, week in week out everyone sees red card offences go unpunished (Prem-Conf) I for one was angered most by this on tuesday, just why ?
Im still a firm believer in the everything evens out buisness

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 08:43:01 PM »

if the referee sent o'neill off for catching the crawley player across the face with a raised arm, that isn't trivial. the debate would therefore be about whether he did catch him or not.

joe

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 08:43:08 PM »

Isn't that the point of blinkers? You only see what you want to see.

I was on the pop side level with the incident that saw Joe get his 2nd yellow culminating in his sending off. It was the sort of aerial challenge that happens many times during the duration of a football match and a second booking was very harsh indeed. Joe did not lead with his arm!!

Altyant

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 09:24:24 PM »

if the referee sent o'neill off for catching the crawley player across the face with a raised arm, that isn't trivial. the debate would therefore be about whether he did catch him or not.

If the ref thought that it was a deliberate elbow/arm in the face then would that not have meant he would have to have given Joe a straight red rather than a second yellow?

Longman

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 09:56:46 PM »

Dare I use the expression FFS on a family forum? Crawley didn't get Joe O'Neill sent off. He challenged for the ball with his arm raised and and clattered the player. On it's own on most days that would be a booking. Take the blinkers off and stop blaming other people for the teams failings.

I'm sorry but you're wrong, I was stood on the golf road and could see that Joe went in with absolutely no malice or intent whatsoever, it wasn't even a foul!!!!

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2008, 09:57:02 PM »

maybe he saw it as clumsy but worthy of a booking for a player he had had words with only minutes before and possibly believed was persistently fouling. don't managers get a copy of the referees report? maybe we'll find out soon enough what the referee believed to be true rather than everyone elses one-eyed specualation.

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2008, 09:58:26 PM »

I'm sorry but you're wrong, I was stood on the golf road and could see that Joe went in with absolutely no malice or intent whatsoever, it wasn't even a foul!!!!

does there have to be malice or intent for it to be a foul?

Longman

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2008, 10:00:53 PM »

does there have to be malice or intent for it to be a foul?

No I suppose not, but at the end of the day it was one of the softest sendings off i've ever witnessed, both the first and second yellow were'nt even bookable offences in my opinion!

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2008, 10:08:10 PM »

you're not exactly unbiased though are you. the first one was because he'd warned them twice previously. if it was soft it was the player's fault for getting involved, not the refs for exerting his authority.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2008, 10:32:48 PM »

It's a foul; if in the opinion of the referee, a player is reckless, careless or uses excessive force when jumping at an oppenent. I does not have to be a deliberate act, because it could be non-deliberate but still careless.

I was close and it was none of these. It was not even a foul in my opinion (biased or otherwise).

The strange thing is that Joe was not shown a red. Therefore the referee did not consider it to be 'serious foul play' or 'violent conduct', whereas I would argue that leading with the elbow and putting it into someones head/face is one of these.
So the ref must have thought it a foul and worthy of a caution for persistent infringement of the rules................which for me makes it a  very harsh booking, because at this stage of the game, Joe had committed no more offences than any other players on the field (keepers excepted).

Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Cote's quotes: Alty 2 Crawley Town 3