PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Squad Builder thread 2013-14
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Squad Builder thread 2013-14  (Read 28809 times)

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Squad Builder thread 2013-14
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2013, 11:26:19 AM »

Difference between slating and not believing you can win a leauge with a player if we were a team that at best could only make playoffs then he would be good enough in my opinion
Carl was ever present in the Telford side that won the BSN 3 years ago. Bang goes your theory.

Actually, they won the playoffs against Guiseley. Mr Trainer (an Alty target the summer before, so I believe,) scored the winning goal towards injury time. Joe O'Neill definitely played in that Guiseley side, and I'm sure Warren Peyton was in that side too, but not 100% on that one. :)

Your splitting hairs, he was in the Telford side that got promoted from BSN, yes/no?

bumble

« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2013, 11:29:07 AM »

Difference between slating and not believing you can win a leauge with a player if we were a team that at best could only make playoffs then he would be good enough in my opinion
Carl was ever present in the Telford side that won the BSN 3 years ago. Bang goes your theory.

Actually, they won the playoffs against Guiseley. Mr Trainer (an Alty target the summer before, so I believe,) scored the winning goal towards injury time. Joe O'Neill definitely played in that Guiseley side, and I'm sure Warren Peyton was in that side too, but not 100% on that one. :)

Your splitting hairs, he was in the Telford side that got promoted from BSN, yes/no?

Hes not splitting hairs. Theres a major difference between promotion bynwinning the league and the playoffs

joe

« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2013, 11:48:15 AM »

Hes not splitting hairs. Theres a major difference between promotion bynwinning the league and the playoffs

The whole argument is whether he's good enough to be in a Championship winning side or a Play Off chasing side so he is almost certainly not splitting hairs. In fact your point now becomes invalid as he wasn't in a Championship winning side!

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2013, 11:57:40 AM »

The whole argument is whether he's good enough to be in a Championship winning side or a Play Off chasing side so he is almost certainly not splitting hairs. In fact your point now becomes invalid as he wasn't in a Championship winning side!

It's all a bit academic though isn't it? The difference between a championship winning side and a play-off side could potentially be a goal difference of 1.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2013, 12:08:17 PM »

Carl is valuable member of the squad who has proved his worth, IMO.

joe

« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2013, 12:30:58 PM »

Carl is valuable member of the squad who has proved his worth, IMO.

I happen to totally agree with this and think he will be very valuable against the tougher sides. I'm just not sure he'll be a regular starter.

markecky

« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2013, 12:35:30 PM »

Not sure why anyone is really arguing here.  

From people I speak to and what I read everyone is pretty much to the same opinion of Carl (with the exception of Jamie who posted that he didnt rate him and he was a poor signing which is his opinion)

Very fit lad, real trier, gives 100% and a valuable member of the squad.  His passing needs to improve as it can cause us problems when he gives away simple balls but there is a place for him despite the fact he will never be Val Owen.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 12:43:45 PM by markecky »

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2013, 01:49:28 PM »

Totally agree Mark, also the stats show that our points per game average is about the same whether he played last year or not so it's a question of Lee using him when his attributes are most appropriate to suit the opposition,..plus when we need defensive cover which he does well too.

Jimmy

« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2013, 06:02:58 PM »

It's all a bit academic though isn't it? The difference between a championship winning side and a play-off side could potentially be a goal difference of 1.
in the case of chester a lot more

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2013, 06:47:29 PM »

in the case of chester a lot more

I did use the word potentially for a reason.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Jimmy

« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2013, 07:11:54 PM »

Sorry I should've read it better

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2013, 10:27:20 PM »

Totally agree Mark, also the stats show that our points per game average is about the same whether he played last year or not so it's a question of Lee using him when his attributes are most appropriate to suit the opposition,..plus when we need defensive cover which he does well too.

Rodgers is ok for me but I've not seen him have a good game when filling in at centre half. Just because he can play there doesn't mean he's up to the standard we require for that position. That goes for all players really. Someone mentioned that Perry can play left mid, I think I'd be appalled if I saw him there.

But that's the way it's got to be I guess if you haven't got a big squad. Calibre is important though. I didn't quite see them in their title winning prime but I suspect a lot of our success was down to the immense quality and versatility of John Davison and Jeff Johnson (and Mickey Brooke and Ivan Crossley?). Possibly where the 90/91 side fell short in the end.

JDN

« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2013, 10:53:57 PM »

Not sure why anyone is really arguing here.  

From people I speak to and what I read everyone is pretty much to the same opinion of Carl (with the exception of Jamie who posted that he didnt rate him and he was a poor signing which is his opinion)

Very fit lad, real trier, gives 100% and a valuable member of the squad.  His passing needs to improve as it can cause us problems when he gives away simple balls but there is a place for him despite the fact he will never be Val Owen.
fair comment Ecky

I just hope we dont have to pass on a better player because we have a full up squad/budget come July/August

who would be a manager

Jimmy

« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2013, 11:07:27 PM »

Agree

Jenga

« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2013, 10:27:29 PM »

You look at the squad now as below and i just dont see anyone i wouldnt be happy playing in the first team. It is exciting.

GOALKEEPERS

Stuart Coburn
Adam Reid

DEFENDERS

Densmore
Doughty
Havern
Leather

MIDFIELDERS

Clee
Moult
Richman