Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Graham Heathcote = Alex Ferguson of the non-league. Fact.

Author Topic: Graham Heathcote = Alex Ferguson of the non-league. Fact.  (Read 1546 times)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: January 03, 2008, 07:06:48 PM »

And Maybe even the Dario Gradi of the non-league. But let's get on to the problems with him.

Tactics. Flowing attacking football would be nice. But then I suppose we'd end up like Droylsden. Or we can play more dedensively and still end up getting beat, the fact is whatever wee do we will struggle on our budget. It would be nice to stay up comfortably every season on the lowest budget in the league but noone can guarantere that.

Results. Someone said the players don't have the heart for it. In truth I thought the lads battled well in the first half against Stevenage. But our squad was down to the bear bones, and I suspect we miss an Owen type player more than some people realise. I used to do a bit of midfield tackling, and beieve me, it makes a huge difference to have someone who's good at it.

Struggling against 8 men.  To be fair, we did have a number of chances in that game, and also, to be fair, in the Heathcote training sessions I've seen, the players have often been made to practise shooting, being urged to "hit the target". If the players then miss in a match, what can you do? 
Also sendings off is no guarantee of scoring a hatful  (as Northwich found last season), I went to a match in Germany once where three players got sent off from one team and it still finished 0-0 I think. If a team in that situation sits back and defends they can make it very frustrating for you.

This season reminds me of when we got promoted from Conf North and were sixth for ages before getting to 5th. If we get to 20th (which would be our best official finish since 1996) on the last day this season, I will be very happy, and with no nonsense next summer and no debts we might even manage a bit more next season.

And believe me, if we do stay up this season, it will be a similar achievement to promotion from the Conference North. We shouldn't be getting on the backs of the people who have done so much for this club. Let's pull together and give support to players, management and officials.

Conference league - we're havin a laugh!

Jacko

Re: Graham Heathcote = Alex Ferguson of the non-league. Fact.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 07:47:01 PM »

good stuff

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 09:30:13 PM »

Good post Hugh

Dougals Dad

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 09:45:00 PM »

Spot on Hugh.

I think I have made a GH/Fergie comparison before and totally agree.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team