PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Chesterfield 'in talks' to sign Ryan Colclough
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Chesterfield 'in talks' to sign Ryan Colclough  (Read 14073 times)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Chesterfield 'in talks' to sign Ryan Colclough
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2023, 07:12:07 PM »

I'm impressed with everyone's optimism here but I'm struggling to find many positives with losing one of the most exciting players I've ever seen here. Especially at a point when the team was racing up the table.

My feelings exactly - as I have expressed elsewhere.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2023, 07:14:43 PM »

I'm impressed with everyone's optimism here but I'm struggling to find many positives with losing one of the most exciting players I've ever seen here. Especially at a point when the team was racing up the table.

Couldn’t have put it better myself.

We must have irons in the fire here, surely to God?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2023, 07:47:10 PM »

Agree entirely.

As things stand, we face the prospect of starting February having lost Newby (four goals); Colclough (seven goals) and Conn-Clarke (eight goals, to date).

That leaves us with Dinanga (6 goals - three of which were scored against Gateshead and one came against ultra porous Dorking! Hasn't scored since 22nd October); Hulme (two goals); Jennings (one goal) and the elusive Kaja (one goal).

Our creative and goalscoring departments are going to need some very shrewd acquisitions ASAP.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

alty.fc

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2023, 09:00:26 PM »

Agree entirely.

As things stand, we face the prospect of starting February having lost Newby (four goals); Colclough (seven goals) and Conn-Clarke (eight goals, to date).

That leaves us with Dinanga (6 goals - three of which were scored against Gateshead and one came against ultra porous Dorking! Hasn't scored since 22nd October); Hulme (two goals); Jennings (one goal) and the elusive Kaja (one goal).

Our creative and goalscoring departments are going to need some very shrewd acquisitions ASAP.
I also agree .

We went full time for a reason surely ?

If players want to leave and we have offered parity on pay for the same league I fully get it and it's out of our control .

If we are losing a player for money to teams in the same league  I can't see why we went full time.

I would rather retain a proven player in the hope of getting some cash and getting 2 more that collectively are not as good

In terms of Jordan I expressed that he was never a goal scorer not even at the level below when he returned

He is (when he is motivated to be) a great player but sadly lacks fitness and consistency

In terms of dinanga he would be great a level below

If we want to remain in the league and push on as a full time team we have to pay the wages as well to compete
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 09:02:08 PM by alty.fc »
Come on you red and white........

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2023, 09:10:31 PM »

Sad if he does go of course, but perhaps inevitable - though let's wait and see, remember the odds being given on Phil Parkinson going to Notts? I seem to remember our other most exciting winger Paul Showler ending up at Bradford City who in 1992 were a similar proposition to the Chesterfield of today.

Purely conjecture, and we may never know the actual price if he does go, but didn't Wrexham sign a "League One" standard player for 300k? Even with only half a season left on his contract, surely Colclough could be worth a six figure fee (and sell-on clause). With the setup we have now, I am pretty certain there will be people they can bring in who will do a good job.

The team we had in December was possibly good enough to challenge for the play-offs, and credit to the management and staff for achieving this, but it was never the expectation that we would challenge for the play-offs this season - we are apparently in year two of a five year plan. I remain convinced that we will stay up this season however this plays out, which is surely the main priority. If  we are in a strong financial position, we will have the opportunity to improve again next season.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2023, 09:24:37 PM »

I remember the five year plan starting when we were in the Conference North

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2023, 10:42:47 PM »

Yes, there was some doubt about it. I seem to remember an article in the programme about it last season and assumed it was starting from last season. I think someone else said similar. However the board hasn't mentioned anything about it for some time to the best of my knowledge so it is hard to be certain. What we can be sure of is that if a five year plan was dated from the appointment of Parky, it was one of the best ever! In any case, if we can be challenging for the play-offs in a couple of years, I think we'll be doing alright. Earlier this season, people would have been happy just to stay up, and if we could finish 11th to secure our best finish post-Maunders, that would be fantastic for me.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2023, 10:49:34 PM »

We'll find it difficult to finish 11th without a decent forward line.
If Colclough goes the (hopeful) incomers need to be significant.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2023, 11:11:52 PM »

Do you think he will go? It was presented as a done deal this morning but still no word, suggesting at the least that we are holding out for a good deal, and in glass half full mode that it may end up as one of those non-stories like "Parky to Chesterfield". Oh well, perhaps we'll know by tomorrow, and as I say I'm sure the board will do their very best for the club. On reflection, compared to some of the situations we've been in post-Maunders, this isn't such a bad one, i.e. will we sell a player for maybe 50 or 100k - or will we keep a "league one" standard player for the rest of the season?

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2023, 11:29:28 PM »

We'll find it difficult to finish 11th without a decent forward line.
If Colclough goes the (hopeful) incomers need to be significant.
Parky has brought in a stream of quality wide men over the last few years   think Ginnelly , Dale  , Mooney , Coleclough , Newby . I back him to once again bring in good quality replacements .  Whoever they may be , getting like for like for Ryan is well nigh impossible because he's been the best wide man i've ever seen in an Alty shirt .

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2023, 11:37:44 PM »

Of course I would hate to see Ryan go....

However, we are lucky to have kept him this long and Ryan has to also think of his future (£££) - an area where we cannot compete with the big boys, even in this league.
Ryan is good enough for a higher league and I would be very disappointed in him if he stayed in the same league with far from any guarantee of promotion!

IF he does go he has done Alty proud and I wish him well.

With Jackson going out on loan I hope that Kaja has regained fitness and that Parkie has irons in the fire.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2023, 08:03:04 AM »

Agree entirely.

I also agree .

If players want to leave and we have offered parity on pay for the same league I fully get it and it's out of our control .

If we are losing a player for money to teams in the same league  I can't see why we went full time.

I would rather retain a proven player in the hope of getting some cash and getting 2 more that collectively are not as good

In terms of Jordan I expressed that he was never a goal scorer not even at the level below when he returned

He is (when he is motivated to be) a great player but sadly lacks fitness and consistency

If we want to remain in the league and push on as a full time team we have to pay the wages as well to compete

Did you think that going full time would mean we could compete with Chesterfield? Seriously?

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2023, 09:53:32 AM »

I tend to agree re what Swindellsworth says about Colclough being unmatched here; but to be honest I thought Paul Showler was also as good, if not marginally better. Good wingers are few and far between to be honest nowadays, but Phil would not let Ryan go without a back-up plan. Ryan suited our style of play, but I reckon Phil will already have plans to cover this eventuality.

I did enjoy watching Ryan Colclough play, he was one of the reasons why I switched from behind the goal to the front of the CSH. You get a direct view of him in the second half, right in front of you. I will miss him if he does go, but nothing official from either club, and I hope he is on the teamsheet for Wrexham on Friday. We stood by him when he needed it when he first joined us.

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2023, 10:04:16 AM »

I never said we could compete with bigger clubs, I'm just expressing disappointment at losing our best player.
Something surely we all feel.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2023, 10:24:18 AM »

Agree entirely.

I also agree .

Did you think that going full time would mean we could compete with Chesterfield? Seriously?

Certainly whisphers around that we can, and could, but there are other factors at play.
It's all my fault.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Chesterfield 'in talks' to sign Ryan Colclough