PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Shaun was right
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Shaun was right  (Read 6960 times)

andrewflynn

Shaun was right
« on: September 29, 2013, 01:29:53 PM »

I don't post much on here because of situations like this. I can't bare to read the meltdown topics.

I honestly don't think yesterday was a question of passion. There's no way our manager would send out players who weren't fully up for the game. I have belief in that despite the way the game went. I'm sure he'd be able to see a lack of motivation prior to the game, and in which case he'd make the necessary changes to the team.

When Shaun came over his words were: "I understand but it isn't a question of passion, the lads come out here to win and it just wasn't good enough today."

We were absolutely garbage yesterday. Be it down to tactics, the pitch, the occasion, underestimating them or our own player's ability. It was an embarrassing performance but it's the cup and sometimes you win your banana skins and sometimes you don't. When you don't, an absolute meltdown isn't required.

Off the top of my head, Coburn, Densmore, Havern, Leather, Richman, Lawrie, Rodgers, Clee and Reeves all played against Burton last year; as well as securing us a play-off spot. We're also third in our league, so I'm just not going to question our willingness to win just yet. The idea that they do go out there and try to win every game for the club is something that needs to be clung on to in situations like this.

JDN

Re: Shaun was right
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 01:54:31 PM »

It's a shame Reeves didn't play yesterday

brian1925

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 02:13:28 PM »

I don't believe that any player goes out to lose, but there is a difference between that and not giving a monkeys whether we win or lose. Shaun is wrong, because to anyone with eyes, there were a couple of players yesterday who really did not care at all and who probably still don't.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »

I don't believe that any player goes out to lose, but there is a difference between that and not giving a monkeys whether we win or lose. Shaun is wrong, because to anyone with eyes, there were a couple of players yesterday who really did not care at all and who probably still don't.

prob more than couple

Hamilton

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 03:16:52 PM »

Playing Devil's Advocate a wee bit, as I was saying to a colleague on Friday night about the big game, "It's a local derby and an FA Cup tie; what can possibly go wrong?"

A game like this was always going to have the potential to be a banana skin and, especially after last year's cup run, I reckon we thought we might have got out of the FA Cup doldrums of the last few years. So a result like this adds extra disappointment.

Any player who does not get passionate about the FA Cup, especially at our level where there is the potential to get Cupsets in a televised match against a league club and maybe a Premier League club, should not be playing the game.

However, and I am sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong, I don't recall reading a lot of dissatisfaction about the squad and the new signings, even after the poor pre-season we had as  Lee seemed to have signed players with some pedigree.

Nonetheless, reading the comments after many of the games this season, I can't help feeling we are short in the tactics department. I don't know if this is the fault of the management or the players not being able to follow instructions. It was a regular comment last season too that we do not seem to have a Plan B and it would be difficult for me to say if this is down to poor coaching or a lack of footballing intelligence from some of the players.

I would like to think that playing for a club of the stature and history of Alty FC with our very professional and passionate board, the many volunteers that give their time to make the club run so well and the passionate and not innumerable fans means that there would be no need for anybody to have to motivate the players for any game, not least in a club competition in which we are the pride of non-league football.

JDN

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 03:22:39 PM »

Playing Devil's Advocate a wee bit, as I was saying to a colleague on Friday night about the big game, "It's a local derby and an FA Cup tie; what can possibly go wrong?"

A game like this was always going to have the potential to be a banana skin and, especially after last year's cup run, I reckon we thought we might have got out of the FA Cup doldrums of the last few years. So a result like this adds extra disappointment.

Any player who does not get passionate about the FA Cup, especially at our level where there is the potential to get Cupsets in a televised match against a league club and maybe a Premier League club, should not be playing the game.

However, and I am sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong, I don't recall reading a lot of dissatisfaction about the squad and the new signings, even after the poor pre-season we had as  Lee seemed to have signed players with some pedigree.

Nonetheless, reading the comments after many of the games this season, I can't help feeling we are short in the tactics department. I don't know if this is the fault of the management or the players not being able to follow instructions. It was a regular comment last season too that we do not seem to have a Plan B and it would be difficult for me to say if this is down to poor coaching or a lack of footballing intelligence from some of the players.

I would like to think that playing for a club of the stature and history of Alty FC with our very professional and passionate board, the many volunteers that give their time to make the club run so well and the passionate and not innumerable fans means that there would be no need for anybody to have to motivate the players for any game, not least in a club competition in which we are the pride of non-league football.
when community centres become more important than football things like yesterday happen

time for the club to get it's priorities right

Hamilton

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 03:26:27 PM »

when community centres become more important than football things like yesterday happen

No disrespect Jamie, but I can't see the Community Centre development affecting the playing side of the club. If anything it should make the players realise what an important part of the comminity the club has the potential to be and what a well run club we have.

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 03:30:06 PM »

How has us building a facility affected the team? HAs part of the squad budget been channelled away to the community project?
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

JDN

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 03:31:27 PM »

How has us building a facility affected the team? HAs part of the squad budget been channelled away to the community project?
you tell me?

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 03:35:25 PM »

As far as I am aware, no. But I am not privy to all inner workings of the club.
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 06:46:23 PM »

The community project is only going ahead because if handled correctly it will enhance the reputation (brand) of the club and hopefully provide a steady income.

It's an investment for the future of the club. In the absence of any sugar daddy the money has to be generated somehow.

markecky

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 07:44:15 PM »

However, and I am sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong, I don't recall reading a lot of dissatisfaction about the squad and the new signings, even after the poor pre-season we had as  Lee seemed to have signed players with some pedigree.

This is a terrible post Jamie.  What is the link between underperforming players and future fund raising for a project?

The community hall is to create a revenue stream to secure the future of the football club and to repair our crumbling ground.

If you don't agree with promoting the club in the community, look at is as a new bar, function room, way of meeting new changing room requirements and increased hospitality (money) spaces.

To use it as a tool to beat the club with is terrible.

If we'd have halved the budget to build it then maybe but to my knowledge the budget is bigger this year.

Although if we'd have halved the budget to say that after years of neglect we are going to have to spend some money on repairs, sorry but that's the way it is, then people would have had to accept it.

What are the alternative plans?

JDN

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 07:52:22 PM »

The community project is only going ahead because if handled correctly it will enhance the reputation (brand) of the club and hopefully provide a steady income.

It's an investment for the future of the club. In the absence of any sugar daddy the money has to be generated somehow.
football first - we are a football club after all

the best way (indeed only way) to enhance the reputation of the club is by wining football matches - to do that we need investment in the team, not community centres

JDN

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 07:56:50 PM »

You may not like it Ecky but it's what a lot of people are thinking (everyone I speak to)

What's happened to the Watmore money? Or Even last years cup money?

Hamilton

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 07:57:19 PM »

football first - we are a football club after all

the best way (indeed only way) to enhance the reputation of the club is by wining football matches - to do that we need investment in the team, not community centres

As has been stated many times, the funding of the community hall is totally independent to and extra to that of the team.
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Shaun was right