PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 For those of a particular vintage
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: For those of a particular vintage  (Read 9361 times)

gunners11

Re: For those of a particular vintage
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2008, 09:23:20 PM »

i saw him play i could not think of anyone else who do you think is the worst player

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2008, 09:29:59 PM »

No but, Yes But, No But....he was
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

thegazelle

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2008, 09:32:50 PM »

hard to wade through the riff raff but how about leroy chambers on one of his couldnt give a toss days

andrewflynn

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2008, 10:01:22 PM »

bloody hell, leroy chambers, how could i forget?
possibly the worst first touch ever.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2008, 12:02:36 AM »

Nick Daws is one of the best players I have ever seen in an Alty shirt.

In his last season he played at about 75-80% of what he was capable of and was still probably the best player in the Conference by a country mile.

Oh and I saw Frank Carrodus in the Gym last week and he's still awesomely fit

BTW he went to Alty Grammar and was, for a long time a mainstay of Old Alts Vets teams

gunners11

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2008, 09:27:58 AM »

thegazelle  you try and pick 2 worst players it is pretty damn hard .and i see you said nothing about the worst manager which was tommy docherty . he was crap now thegazelle i want you to pick me 5 worst players and 5 good players and 2good managers and 2 bad managers thank you .

thegazelle

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2008, 10:32:15 AM »

worst manager

les rigby and tommy doc

worst 5 players or just 5 players who nwere sh*t off the top of my head  leroy chambers, darren royle,peter frankish,nice guy and local but had a dreadful game against huddersfield, steve phillips what do you call it paul? williams ex stockport/westbrom. there thats five in 10 seconds none of whom were fit to lace mr daws boots

kingy tony sanders

five good players

choose any from johnny vernon brian le boutillier garry hulme eales allen davidson brook bailey owen king morriss johnson rogers heathcote and little just for old times sake

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2008, 01:03:21 PM »

How many games did Frank Carrodus play for Alty?

At a guess, I'd say less than a dozen

For some reason,I have the number 3 in my head as far as the answer to this question is concerned.

Flynny,

I have Frank Carrodus as playing 3 (+1 as sub) games for Alty during the 1969/70 season.
I believe that his full appearances comprised one NPL match; one NPL Cup fixture and one North West Floodlit League game.

He returned to Moss Lane for a brief spell during the 1986/87 season, adding two appearances as a substitute in GMVC matches and 1 (+1 as sub) appearances in cup competitions.
Incidentally, I saw him in Hale Village the other week....

That was a Cheshire Senior Cup Semi Final against Hyde at Ewen Mcgregor Fields...we won 3-2 or 4-3 I think.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2008, 01:22:12 PM »

worst manager

les rigby and tommy doc

worst 5 players or just 5 players who nwere sh*t off the top of my head  leroy chambers, darren royle,peter frankish,nice guy and local but had a dreadful game against huddersfield, steve phillips what do you call it paul? williams ex stockport/westbrom. there thats five in 10 seconds none of whom were fit to lace mr daws boots

kingy tony sanders

five good players

choose any from johnny vernon brian le boutillier garry hulme eales allen davidson brook bailey owen king morriss johnson rogers heathcote and little just for old times sake

Frankish was my all-time worst. Did he come from skem round about Andy Windsor (aka the galloping major) vintage?

Running a close second was the welsh fella (Toner?) who was at least 104 - and ran like it!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2008, 05:39:20 PM »

worst manager

les rigby and tommy doc

kingy tony sanders

five good players

Halifax, Peter.....Halifax ::)

thegazelle

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2008, 08:36:38 PM »

was going to put halifax but talked myself into heddersfield nevr mind only six miles out

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2008, 09:23:52 PM »

I were only a nipper but I seem to recall Frankish played most games, but whenever we had a game against someone good a different keeper was brought in? Schofield was it? What was all that about?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2008, 10:14:33 PM »

I thought Frank went to Wellie Road.
He was from the Grange Estate
I trained with Frank and also Tony Spilsbury at Heyes Albion although they were a few years older than me.
I also thought that Frank did not actually play for Runcorn in the 1986 FA Trophy Final as he pulled out the night before due to the death of his Mam.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2008, 11:17:34 PM »

I were only a nipper but I seem to recall Frankish played most games, but whenever we had a game against someone good a different keeper was brought in? Schofield was it? What was all that about?

Peter Frankish was the regular Number 1 from August to November 1972,  but I think that he was dropped for the F.A. Cup Tie at home to Notts County.Peter Schofield played a few games, but Frankish returned only to make more howlers....he had a very poor game in the 2-0 F.A.Trophy defeat at Buxton in January 1973.Peter Schofield was a much steadier keeper,but neither of them were anywhere near the class of Peter Eales, who made his debut in the North West Floodlit League Final first leg at Moss Lane against Buxton at the end of that season (we won 5-2).I think that Joe Pritchard & Gerry Casey also made their debuts in that game, which was the 1973 equivalent of signing Stuart Coburn, Paul Ellender & Ian Craney on the same day. :o

In summary,Peter Frankish was bobbins!!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 For those of a particular vintage