PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Seeing as we have a lot of new members - An Old Question - First Alty Game
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

Author Topic: Seeing as we have a lot of new members - An Old Question - First Alty Game  (Read 35027 times)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Seeing as we have a lot of new members - An Old Question - First Alty Game
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2008, 09:40:11 AM »

Scarboro 6-1 FA Cup 1965
Big Jack 5 of 6 goals and a lovely man to meet years later.
Hence my name on here!

For the second time, 6-0!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2008, 09:41:30 AM »

when did the floodlights arrive? i remember being pretty young and sitting with my dad watching a flloodlit match
i still love night matches more than afternoon ones

Remember how exciting it was when the "Macclesfield Floodlit Cup" became the "Macclesfield and Altrincham Floodlit Cup"

I think this only lasted one season before it became the North West Floodlit Cup!  ;)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Jezza

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2008, 10:11:58 AM »

I hope some one can tell me the first game I went to.

It was after the firework display at the ground midweek in either 1972 or '73 and Alty were playing at home that Saturday.

seasonticket

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2008, 10:22:52 AM »

On the thread about music for old folks I was told I was really old. Now I will prove that to be the case.
I have had three spells watching Alty.
Very first game was in first season after the war, I think 1946, was a regular then with my dad and uncle. Who the opposition was I have no idea. I went to all home games and a good few aways until late fifties when an interest in the opposite sex took precedence over footy.
Returned to watching Alty when working with a guy who lived in Acacia Avenue about 1962, and went regularly for the next three seasons.
Women again spoiled things. I got married and did not go to watch the Robins until that FA cup game at Birmingham in 1986. Been a season ticket holder since then.
To pick the most pleasing game I have seen it must be away at the Moss Rose on a Tuesday night. Don't remember the date but we had a few injuries so they cleared tons of snow off the pitch and conned the ref into playing thinking they might turn us over. The pitch was more suitable for ice hockey, game should not have been played. In the event I think we won 1-0. The goal coming from a guy called Pritchard who was so far offside no one could believe the liner did not flag. Macc were to say the least more than a little upset. I still have a good laugh now when I remember the macc fans, players and officials reaction. It was even better than the Doncaster Alamo, if you remember that other famous 1-0  

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2008, 11:18:14 AM »

when did the floodlights arrive? i remember being pretty young and sitting with my dad watching a flloodlit match

Remember how exciting it was when the "Macclesfield Floodlit Cup" became the "Macclesfield and Altrincham Floodlit Cup"

I think this only lasted one season before it became the North West Floodlit Cup!  ;)

when i started going it was the northwest floodlit league
this seemed very normal until years later i was reading simon inglis' football grounds of great britain, and realised that most grounds would only have got floodlights in the fairly recent past (i'm talking 1976), so i suppose they had these competitions because playing under lights was still a novelty
of course in those days players just played however many games there were and never complained of being tired.....

BANGOR ISYCOED BOY

« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2008, 11:24:37 AM »

So what was your first Alty game, just for the 'newer' members to get an idea when people got hooked on Alty ....

Everton at old trafford fa cup replay 1974. I sat next to an Everton fan who was so nervous he was shaking ! Always watched mid-week games and got the bug/season ticket in 92/93 when my playing days were over.
Best player; Ricky Harris without a doubt !!!!

fuertes

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2008, 12:06:24 PM »

I shudder to think how many fans have left Old Trafford to try Alty but ones who leave Old Trafford now will try FCUM instead you know.

Fair point, some people will. However, I've always considered myself a United fan but went along to Alty every now and again and had some affection for the club. However, what with no standing, stupid ticket prices, foreign investors with no connection to the clubs, the hollow success of teams buying trophies (see Chelsea, probably City, FC Cluj etc) I decided to step up my following of Alty last year and I don't regret it one bit. I'm pretty sure other people in and around Trafford will go along to Alty too.  ;D

Jenga

« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2008, 12:08:44 PM »

Dad brought me to Alty when I was very young. Probably 5 years old so I will got 1974 - 75 season. I remember me asking my dad why everyone was shouting Alty and who were Alty as I came to watch Altrincham lol.

My first away game I do recall. I was on holiday in Wales with my family and we went Midweek to watch Alty play Bangor City away. I remember it was raining all night and we sat down somewhere along the side of the ground in the main stand.

RocketDan

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2008, 12:08:56 PM »

Northwich Vics Boxingday 2006.
it was a year until i saw us win again.

whiskyalty

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2008, 12:46:13 PM »

mine was fa cup 4q round at home leek town who were in manchester league at that time alty were three nil down and came back to win 4-3. then drew notts county at home and lost 1-0 to a penalty.from this point i was hooked on alty.

daisy

« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2008, 01:08:06 PM »

A friendly against Irlam Town on the 2nd August 1985. No recollection of the game as I was a month old, but there is photographic evidence somewhere in Nottinghamshire.

The first game I remember was the Tottenham game in 1995...there was lots of balloons and Alty scored but it didn't count. Those were my 2 memories of the day...and how massive White Hart Lane was.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2008, 01:23:56 PM »

mine was fa cup 4q round at home leek town who were in manchester league at that time alty were three nil down and came back to win 4-3. then drew notts county at home and lost 1-0 to a penalty.from this point i was hooked on alty.

I recall that game against Leek well, I think Lennie Dickinson bossed the second half and almost turned the whole game by himself. I think however that it was a different cup competition, perhaps even the CSC, Yes I know Leek is in Staffs. It can't have been the Trophy as Leek were as you rightly say, Mcr League then. I think it was the Saturday before we played Notts Co, as I recall leaving the ground after the Leek game and some bloke shouting out that they'll have to nail the goal up next week after that performance!
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2008, 01:26:11 PM »

when i started going it was the northwest floodlit league
this seemed very normal until years later i was reading simon inglis' football grounds of great britain, and realised that most grounds would only have got floodlights in the fairly recent past (i'm talking 1976), so i suppose they had these competitions because playing under lights was still a novelty
of course in those days players just played however many games there were and never complained of being tired.....

Somewhere I have an old programme for a game where the lights were used for the first time, I reckon 65 or 66. I'll have to dig it out.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

altyusa

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2008, 01:37:24 PM »

My first Alty game was against Glossop in the FA Cup, I think probably the 4th or 3rd Qualifying round in 1973 I think.   Mum and Dad wouldn't let us go to United at the time because of the aggro but thought Alty was fine, thats how I ended up supporting Alty as well.    Irony is, as posted elsewhere today, I probably was witness to a lot more aggro at Alty games in those times than I ever saw at United when I was watching them on a regular basis in the '80s!!!  Also in that first Alty game I remember Lennie Dickinson offering out members of the Popular side who were having a go at him!  Maybe Graham as a youngster at the time learned it all from Lennie!!

Alty TV

• Regular First Team
  • Alty TV
    • View Profile
    • Alty TV
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2008, 02:51:30 PM »

It will be my 30th anniversary as an fully fledged Alty fan this year.
My dad used to take me to Moss Lane as toddler in the late 60's, I don't remember anything of those days other than rolling down the grass bank at the chequers end. We moved out of the area in the early 70's and returned in about 75. My dad always watched out for the Alty scores in the pink and I remember standing in the scoreboard end at Old Trafford for the replay against Everton. But at some point during the 1978/1979 season I went to my first Alty match on my own, a win over Bangor City, and that was that, I was hooked.
Perhaps one of you statto's out there could remind me of the date and score ( I seem to remember it being 3-0 but could be wrong)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Seeing as we have a lot of new members - An Old Question - First Alty Game