News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 FA Cup game Vs Crewe Mid 90's

Author Topic: FA Cup game Vs Crewe Mid 90's  (Read 2090 times)

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: August 19, 2008, 07:11:11 PM »

Seem to recall the original Saturday KO was changed to mid week, why ? I dont know why but its just sprung into my head as a young teenager sitting in the stand watching Adebola score with a header, think we lost 2-0... ???

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: FA Cup game Vs Crewe Mid 90's
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 07:52:35 PM »

They had someone on international duty I think. But a Crewe supporting mate told me that the real reason was that they wanted to give someone (maybe Adebola) additional time to recover from an injury, and the international duty excuse was a convenient smokescreen.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 07:53:36 PM »

Seem to recall the original Saturday KO was changed to mid week, why ? I dont know why but its just sprung into my head as a young teenager sitting in the stand watching Adebola score with a header, think we lost 2-0... ???

I believe Neil Lennon was called up for the Northern Ireland squad and so the game was postponed as a result, as all games with international call-ups would have been.  I also believe we lost out on a fair bit of TV money too...

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 08:15:43 PM »

I believe Neil Lennon was called up for the Northern Ireland squad and so the game was postponed as a result, as all games with international call-ups would have been.  I also believe we lost out on a fair bit of TV money too...

We always seem to get shafted !!!

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 09:31:07 PM »

It was 1995. I had planned on going to the game from South Africa.
Crewe already had Robbie Savage called by Wales for international duty, then the North of Ireland called Neil Lennon for what I think was his first call up to their squad.
As a result of a second player being called for international duty, Crewe envoked a FIFA rule and postponed the match. There was suspicion of why Crewe conveniently wanted the game to be switched but I cannot remember the details.
We did lose out on TV money as it was the main fixture for Match of the Day as all Premiership and Championship games were cancelled due to internationals. The BBC cameras showed Runcorn instead.
I was at the FA Cup game with Crewe in I think 1980 when we tanked them 3-0, when just before the game Crewe were forced to withdraw Bruce Grobbelaar as he didnt have a work permit for UK. Their teenage replacement keeper had a howler of a game.

Alty365

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 09:37:08 PM »

1995 was the last occasion when Alty were exempt from the 4th qualifying round of the FA Cup. The better performing non league sides always used to go straight into the 1st Round Proper instead of having to qualify yet this never happens anymore. I wonder why that is?

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 09:58:05 AM »

1995 was the last occasion when Alty were exempt from the 4th qualifying round of the FA Cup. The better performing non league sides always used to go straight into the 1st Round Proper instead of having to qualify yet this never happens anymore. I wonder why that is?

Yes, wasn't it the two sides with the best record in the cup over the previous five years and the two FA Trophy finalists who were exempt from having to qualify for the first round?
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team