News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Threadbare Squad

Author Topic: Threadbare Squad  (Read 7499 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Threadbare Squad
« on: April 12, 2007, 04:44:03 PM »

I've just been reading the Messenger's report on current events at Moss Lane re. injuries and squad shortages etc. and it prompted a few random thoughts....

Is Kieran Lugsden still (technically) on Alty's books?
Could he be recalled from Leigh RMI?

Against Gravesend & Northfleet on Easter Monday, our substitutes' bench contained two ailing players who were apparently only named to make up the numbers i.e. Stuart Coburn and Gary Scott......and yet Justin Bowler still couldn't get in the squad!
That speaks volumes.

Would you have preferred to have seen (an admittedly not as fit as he was back in 2004) Eddie Hussin in midfield rather than an out-of-position Andy Scott?

Any observations?   

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Altysmiffy

Re: Threadbare Squad
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 04:54:22 PM »

I was under the impression Lugsy is still on Alty's books for the Conference. However, it is midfield & especially defence where we are  short. Are any of the reserves ready to be called up, even if just to the subs bench?

I think it is a shame that Justin Bowler - for whatever reason - has not made it. But, especially if Halifax are relegated, we might get Steve Torpey back!

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 04:55:35 PM »

i would play rod on the right with lewis on left and bush and robbie in middle.a scott on bench with talbot.

bighairedmike

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 07:05:47 PM »

i would play rod on the right with lewis on left and bush and robbie in middle.a scott on bench with talbot.

is this with rose at right back with bandy and munroe in the middle?

does seem a shame that Justin Bowler has a left back/midfielder played in midfield over an out and out winger. yes i have said he is a righht waste of space but surely he should be given a chance to prove himself?

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 07:12:02 PM »

it is bhm ,rose , munroe band and peyton at back from right to left.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 07:48:37 PM »

I'd personally like to see Astley Mulholland given a first team opportunity, The lad could make an impact from the bench down the wings,especially against a tired defence and would surely be a better option than an injured player sitting there. It may be seen as a gamble by some, but good players thrive on opportunity, and should we be down to the bare  bones for saturday, I'd love to see the lad on the coach to dagenham  and I'm sure his self confidence would stop him being over awed at being in such a situation.

Altysmiffy

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 11:01:59 PM »

Agreed. As much as I appreciate the efforts of those dedicated to the cause, I am not sure if it is viable for them to be able to give 100% physically. It can do no harm to have 1 or 2 hungry reserve players biting at the bit to get on and ruffle a few full time feathers.

teasybeaver

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 11:36:12 AM »

Sorry to raise the stakes again on the mention of the b word popularity!

If Bowler isn't good enough to make the squad yet 2 blatantly injured players are why didnt we pay up his contract as well so he isn't using up valuable resources at the club? It seems a bit bizarre. Surely if graham felt that badly about him he would have got rid with thommo?

Is Bowler injured? f**k only knows how, muscle wastage i expect. I wish he'd just get his chance at daggers, maybe do something and then have a stormer against tamworth, keep us up and be an alty legend forever more.

More chance of Arnie pulling in Cannes this weekend with the Alty on tour crew!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 01:43:08 PM »

I heard that Alty did offer to pay up the remainder of Bowler's contract....but he declined to accept this proposition.

This is an unconfirmed story!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

radcliffe alty

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 02:26:25 PM »

Perhaps he really does want to try to fight for his place?

In training we should work on passing to him on the wing when he is in space screaming for the ball.

Seriously, a bit of genuine pace on the flank could do us wonders - and he has genuine pace. Just hope he has a genuine attitude to get into this side as well.

teasybeaver

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 02:51:19 PM »

Fair play to him, he obviously wants to play football or he'd have gone, maybe he really likes the club and does want his chance. He wouldn't be the first player to be unlucky in the team selection stakes, but I have to say, as much as I would like him to be given a chance and do well, if he had gone with thommo we wouldn't still have this constant saga over his place at the club!

Does anyone know him? I'd like to know his genuine thoughts on the whole thing, the other side of the coin. Has anyone actually spoke to him at the games?

markecky

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 03:17:30 PM »

"Has anyone actually spoke to him at the games?"

And from what I hear, neither have the players.  Not exactly chatty from comments I have heard.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Threadbare Squad