Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Graham Heathcote is now the 4th longest serving manager in the Conference....

Author Topic: Graham Heathcote is now the 4th longest serving manager in the Conference....  (Read 2619 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Someone on this Forum the other week asked about who is currently the longest serving manager at a Conference club.

Anyhow, after some research on this matter, I have compiled the relevant statistics.

By my calculations, GH lies fourth, behind Nigel Clough, Chris Wilder and Phil Robinson.

Would you believe that 11 of the Conference's 24 clubs have changed their manager during the 2006/07 season? 

Conference Managers: April 2007

Aldershot: Martin Kuhl (Caretaker Manager - appointed in March 2007 when Terry Brown stepped down)
Altrincham: Graham Heathcote (appointed in October 2002)
Burton Albion: Nigel Clough (appointed in October 1998)
Cambridge United: Jimmy Quinn (appointed in September 2006)
Crawley Town: Ben Judge & David Woozley (replaced John Hollins in October 2006)
Dagenham & Redbridge: John Still (appointed in April 2004)
Exeter City: Paul Tisdale (appointed in June 2006)
Forest Green Rovers: Jim Harvey (appointed in September 2006)
Gravesend & Northfleet: Liam Daish (appointed in February 2005)
Grays Athletic: Justin Edinburgh (appointed in January 2007)
Halifax Town: Chris Wilder (appointed in May 2002)
Kidderminster Harriers: Mark Yates (appointed in January 2006)
Morecambe: Sammy McIlroy (appointed in May 2006; Caretaker since November 2005)
Northwich Victoria: Steve Burr (appointed in the summer of 2004)
Oxford United: Jim Smith (appointed in March 2006)
Rushden & Diamonds: Gary Hill (appointed in February 2007)
St Albans City: Colin Lippiatt (appointed in October 2004)
Stafford Rangers: Phil Robinson (appointed in the summer of 2002)
Southport: Peter Davenport (appointed in January 2007)
Stevenage Borough: Mark Stimson (appointed in May 2006)
Tamworth: Gary Mills (appointed in January 2007)
Weymouth: Jason Tindall (appointed in January 2007)
Woking: Graham Baker (Caretaker Manager since Glenn Cockerill was sacked in March 2007)
York City: Billy McEwan (appointed in February 2005)
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Altysmiffy

Thanks Cult, that was me who asked. Fascinating info; only Chris Wilder of the 4 I suspect is in a worse position than when he took over (but then he has lost Justin Bowler!).

It is a shame so many chairmen are so impatient. Why is it that players don't get sacked and managers can so easily?

radcliffe alty

It is all down to realistic expectations at our club and Graham and Dalton fully deserve the loyalty they are being shown by the club. Long may it continue - we have Alty men through and through running the club, who clearly hurt as much as we do when Alty lose. It can only be a good thing for the club and we should never forget how far this club has come on and off the pitch in very little time at all.

Altysmiffy

Spot on. Same at Burton; some people may have expected them to be regular play off and promotion contenders, but they have been regularly steady and getting better little by little. Their FA Cup run helps and, with the extra money, again some might have expected more, but the Burton board seem happy.

I would also be surprised if Stafford dismiss Robinson if they are relegated.

Altyant

Its interesting to note how many were appointed in 2006

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
A'hem................Smiffy
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 01:50:15 AM »

For what it is worth, I think you'll find that I asked the original question and then you asked it again in a reply to the same post (29 March) ..............not that I am a copyright lawyer or anything like that !

Anyway.............thanks Cult for doing the research

An amazing lack of faith the club chairmen must have
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

teasybeaver

Great work!

I wouldn't be suprised if Graham moves up to 3rd soon with Halifax and Stafford in the mix for relegation. Playoffs for Burton, relegation for Halifax and Stafford and who knows. Ah how nice it is to have dreams!

To be honest i dont care about anything other than GH being a conference manager next season!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

To be honest i dont care about anything other than GH being a conference manager next season!

That's a Conference National Manager you mean of course?  ;D ;D
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Plus, don't forget that some clubs have changed their manager on more than one occasion during the 2006/07 season to date!

Grays Athletic are on their fourth manager this season and Rushden & Diamonds are on manager No.3 with Gary Hill, after sacking both Paul Hart and Graham Westley.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Altyant

Great work!

I wouldn't be suprised if Graham moves up to 3rd soon with Halifax and Stafford in the mix for relegation. Playoffs for Burton, relegation for Halifax and Stafford and who knows. Ah how nice it is to have dreams!

As long as it's with us of course....  ::)
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Graham Heathcote is now the 4th longest serving manager in the Conference....