PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 A terrible dose of FA trophy fever
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A terrible dose of FA trophy fever  (Read 4500 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: December 07, 2009, 12:01:42 PM »

Lets go and do ourselves proud on saturday.Whilst wrexham should be respected as a football club and a big club at that.We have nothing to fear from a team thats won only 12 of its last 41 competitive games.Thats bottom 6 form and that should be remembered when we step out on to the pitch at the racecourse ground on saturday.With our away foum,its dean saunders that should be the one to worry.Hopefully we'll be roared on by a large following and take a step towards wembeley, whos going on saturday?

fuertes

Re: A terrible dose of FA trophy fever
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 12:09:34 PM »

I would love to go to this one, especially after the great day at Chester, but pre-Christmas I'm just too skint.

I agree we're well capable of winning this. We did them last year, I'm not sure they're that interested in the FA Trophy, so a committed performance should give us a great chance of victory.

Come on Alty!

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 01:46:44 PM »

Not sure I can make this now.. Bloody typical as it is the nearest BSP ground to our house... (no I'm not welsh nor do I ive in Wales)
 ;) :D

Jezza

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 01:47:50 PM »

Any sign of non commitment will not be tolerated by fans or the management in this one.

The players should believe this is a realistic chance to get to wembley, play in some high profile matches and get some glory....failure will mean a drop in income and potential squad changes.

So if they don't want to be featured in John Laidlars Xmas old boys section as a footnote "was an unused sub for radcliffe in front of 231 on saturday" they'd best take this one seriously!!!!!

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 01:57:58 PM »

in attendance.
Bernard Taylors barmy army

joe

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 02:36:27 PM »

I'm too skint to go but it's a very winable match.

tottenham alty

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 03:46:25 PM »

At risk of multiple Peakes... I'm never sure why people get that excited about the FA Trophy... OK so there is some non-league bragging rights and a trip to Wembley at stake, but there is next to no coverage of this competition in the national press, and it would appear nobody outside non-league (and dare I say it many of the ex-league teams) cares.

Fine its not the CSC, but what do people see in it??

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 03:49:34 PM »

look where york are this year as opposed to last year with the benefit of FA trophy money then ask yourself that question again.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Longman

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 04:11:21 PM »

At risk of multiple Peakes... I'm never sure why people get that excited about the FA Trophy... OK so there is some non-league bragging rights and a trip to Wembley at stake, but there is next to no coverage of this competition in the national press, and it would appear nobody outside non-league (and dare I say it many of the ex-league teams) cares.

Wembley.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 04:27:49 PM »

I think the 100k plus that would be generated from a trip to the final,let alone winning it,is as bigger incentive as a club our size would need

markecky

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 04:35:38 PM »

Seriously?

You could say the same for league games in terms of national coverage?

Are you saying we should try if the games got a couple of lines in the Daily Star?

The day we think we are to big for the FA Trophy will be a sad one.  We never ever will be.

JonnyKeen

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 04:52:09 PM »

Just bought my ticket.  :D

Narcissist

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 05:05:28 PM »

The Trophy is my FA cup. You get to Wembley and theres actually a chance for us to win it. Of course the cup is a bigger deal but you get no medals for getting to the third round or getting trounced by Mansfield at the 1st attempt. We can win the trophy, we can get to wembley. Weve been 3 times before, a great history considering the number of clubs that stand a good chance each year. Nobody outside of non-league would care because their team isnt involved. We arent that bothered about the carling cup for the same reason.

The trophy is massive for me, and for the club its a potential cash cow if we do well. Perhaps people would hold it in higher regard if we hadnt been so poor in this competition for a good few years.

For the players, its shameful if they arent bothered about the chance of a trophy run that will put them on the map, and give them a chance to play in front of up to 30,000 at wembley. Its not like they have any other chance. If that alone doesnt motivate them then they arent worth having.

markecky

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 05:18:11 PM »

Renewed interest in the club, extra shirt sales, profit on coach travel, local media interest, interest right to the end of the season....there is so many reasons to to like the FA Trophy.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 06:01:04 PM »

If you don't want to win major trophies (and the FA Trophy is a major trophy at our level) you might as well lock the gates and close the club down tomorrow.

One of my biggest ambitions as an Alty fan is to see us play at Wembley and I believe that we have an excellent chance of doing that this season.

Come on Alty!
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team