PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Now is the time
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Now is the time  (Read 4359 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Now is the time
« on: September 03, 2011, 05:32:33 PM »

To take a deep breath, and for the club to be brutally honest.Do we want to compete, or do we want to simply exsist? Now I'm a football fan, not an accountant. I come to see us win, perform on the pitch, not just on a balance sheet.We need to stop playing a couple of moderate midfielders at full back, and bring in a new defence.That needs to happen quickly before this season is beyond us. It's all well and good peforming off the pitch, but we can't lose sight that this is a football club, and football clubs suceed by sucess on the pitch.I can take being sh*t in the BSP, but this at the moment simply is not good enough, especially against what we some how contrived to draw against today.It need addressing quickly because people won't simply keep turning up. We might be realistic, but we have a limit of what's acceptable, like any set of football supporters

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Now is the time
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 05:36:08 PM »

Agree wholeheartedly - you beat me to it.

ALTYGAL

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 05:36:57 PM »

Hear hear.

I'll keep turning up but many won't, its early but we can see where its going already, player confidence or lack of it will also be a factor now!

altytony1

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 05:40:40 PM »

this team needs sorting out now before its to late,lawton at right back not working,its hard to keep the faith when  they wont change things around,

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 05:42:46 PM »

To take a deep breath, and for the club to be brutally honest.Do we want to compete, or do we want to simply exsist? Now I'm a football fan, not an accountant. I come to see us win, perform on the pitch, not just on a balance sheet.We need to stop playing a couple of moderate midfielders at full back, and bring in a new defence.That needs to happen quickly before this season is beyond us. It's all well and good peforming off the pitch, but we can't lose sight that this is a football club, and football clubs suceed by sucess on the pitch.I can take being sh*t in the BSP, but this at the moment simply is not good enough, especially against what we some how contrived to draw against today.It need addressing quickly because people won't simply keep turning up. We might be realistic, but we have a limit of what's acceptable, like any set of football supporters
brilliant post well done i am here till the day i die but your bang on the money
ParkINson's red and white army

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 05:47:17 PM »

I take it from what I read that we should be spending more. The question is, how do we spend more?

Unless we have a new benefactor (please don't anyone say "investor" they will get nothing back)  then it means getting into debt, and there's different ways of doing that.  

We can extend our line of credit with the bank.  Hard for us to do because we don't own our ground.  Therefore there's less to secure against any borrowing making us less attractive for a bank to lend to.

We can just not pay suppliers or HMRC and then hope to pay them back when all that extra expenditure on the team pays off with lucrative cup runs and league crowds of 2000.  We tried that a decade ago and it nearly bankrupted us.

We can go for director's loans.  Again, you just need one director to throw his toy out of the pram and you've got all sorts of trouble down the line.

Its very easy to say we should spend more but to spend more you've actually got to have the money to do it.  The board won't live beyond their means and I for one applaud them for that.  Some of the board probably have a lot to lose personally in terms of their own business reputations should it go wrong at Alty, that's worth bearing in mind too.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 05:54:39 PM »

Bollocks bob, make huge effort to attract investment, FGR put an advert in the financial times and look what that has landed them. not everyone in the world reads the messenger or the Altrincham fc website. There's probably not a better club in the country to invest in at the mOment, good core fan base, league standard stadium, no debt, good board of directors, good community links. It needs pushing like hell, they won't come looking,but they might be interested if they knew about it. Not everyone us a Steven vaughan in this game....,,

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 05:55:20 PM »

I dont think anyone is expecting us to spend money, but we were told in the Summer that the budget was a competitive one, aside from re-signing last sesaons players we havent made an marquee signings. Also our attendances are almost double the majority of others in this league, so unless everyone has a benefactor/investor we should have more money to spend than most. Either the budget isnt competitive, in which case the board should tell us that, or Lee hasnt used it efficiently. Danylyk, Brown and Lawton were arguably 3 of our poorer players last season and they are still with us, but I bet that they wouldnt have taken a huge pay reduction and along with Coburn, Reeves and Twiss they are probably are our higher earners.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 05:57:49 PM »

I'm not saying for a second we shouldn't be getting more money in, but I don't agree with us getting into debt.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 06:01:54 PM »

I'm sorry for being so abrasive bob, and I fully agree with you about not getting into debt, but how come some if these clubs with 200 fans have 15 directors? If Mohammed won't come to the mountain then we now more than ever need to look for new investment, we need to lose the paranoid approach that everyone wants to money launder or built flats on the ground

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 06:13:20 PM »

I'm sorry for being so abrasive bob, and I fully agree with you about not getting into debt, but how come some if these clubs with 200 fans have 15 directors? If Mohammed won't come to the mountain then we now more than ever need to look for new investment, we need to lose the paranoid approach that everyone wants to money launder or built flats on the ground

Its very difficult because for all the better players on the teamsheet, big boards of directors etc etc we often don't know what happens behind the scenes.  Read that Weymouth book.  It all looked rosy at the time; Claridge everywhere, top of the league but it turned out it was a massive house of cards, built on debt and directors loans.  Same for god knows how many other football clubs.

A theory is that we nearly closed when the much desired rich benefactor called it a day, and we faced financial ruin when we did speculate to accumulate a few years later.  I think its made a lot of people wary of spending big or thinking too big again. 

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 06:16:13 PM »

There's spending big and being unable to compete financially with sh*t like Corby

RocketDan

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 06:25:25 PM »

I think it says a lot when Dale Johnson turned us down for a gig a Droylsden, we clearly aren't competing financially to attract higher calibre players.

DAB @ ALTY

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 06:44:56 PM »

At the fans meeting Lee was asked did he have another job outside football and his reply was no.If that is the case and also taking into account that he travels from Hull where he lives,I would expect that he was offered a pretty good deal by Alty to secure his services,thus reducing the budget somewhat on the playing side.I may be totally wrong on this but it is just a theory that I have.

DAB @ ALTY

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 06:48:34 PM »

Forgot to say that Lee stressed that his position at Alty was PART TIME.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Now is the time