PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Robins manager Heathcote warns of need for changes
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Robins manager Heathcote warns of need for changes  (Read 6655 times)

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: September 01, 2010, 07:19:22 PM »

GRAHAM Heathcote reflected on Altrincham's plight at the foot of the Blue Square Bet Premier and spelled out a stark message about his side's shortcomings.

Reflecting on succesive defeats by York and Mansfield that left them with just one point from six games, four adrift of Saturday's visitors Kidderminster, Heathcote admitted they had been found wanting and that he had been in discussions with the board about all aspects of the season so far, including his own position.

“I couldn't possibly fault the players for effort,' he said. “That's good in one way but worrying in another because, if they are giving their all and still falling short, you've clearly got problems.

“We have played some good stuff at times, and we have faced some of the top sides, but the fact remains we are bottom with one point from six games. I don't enjoy seeing Altrincham propping up the rest.

“I take 100 per cent blame, because I put the squad together and the evidence so far suggests the players I brought in may not be up to the mark. There have to be changes, whether it be myself or on the playing side, and I have been talking to the board about the way ahead, in all areas.

“We have fantastic backing from loyal supporters and local businesses, and from people working tirelessly within the club. Even so, attendances need to be higher and we still haven't got that injection of cash from an investor that's so desperately needed.

“And I'm not burying my head in the sand over my own position. If there's someone out there who can conjure up seven or eight Premier players on the funds we've got, then fine. Good luck to them.”

Supporters can quiz Heathcote about Alty's position at a fans' forum at the club tonight (Thursday) at 8pm, while £5 admission is available against Kidderminster for Premier League or Football League season ticket holders.

@AltyDaz

Knutsford Alty

Re: Robins manager Heathcote warns of need for changes
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 07:56:28 PM »

I don't enjoy seeing Altrincham propping up the rest.

Nor do we Graham, so lets get at Kiddy & get that vital first win of the season. 

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 07:58:20 PM »

“I take 100 per cent blame, because I put the squad together and the evidence so far suggests the players I brought in may not be up to the mark. There have to be changes, whether it be myself or on the playing side, and I have been talking to the board about the way ahead, in all areas.

Interesting stuff

Narcissist

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 08:05:29 PM »

I love GH, and the whole package that comes with him. I think he pushes the boundary between colorful and offensive to the limit, but so what.

However, I think here theres something of a repetition. Ive heard this before and im worried that the great man thinks the only way a replacement would do a better job is if they could bring in a load of class players.

I accept his honesty, and think on the whole this is a good statement that should get the players on-side. But are we tactically at our best? Could someone, or Ken, not get better results from the same players? I dont know I havent seen us yet, so im not making a judgement on that, it just seems a bit big headed to me to assume that we are only doing poorly because he brought in the wrong playing staff? I hope im wrong.

Thoughts? To shreds you may tear me!

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 08:38:36 PM »

I wouldn't say it was being big headed to admit he may have bought the wrong players. I would say it is about a 50/50 split on good and bad, which probably isn't bad considering the resources.
I am desperately hoping that this is a bad patch that we can get out of, we have a few easier games coming up (although there are no truly easy games in this league).
I think we will have a clearer view by the end of September. Considering the progress we have made, it would be heartbreaking to see it go up in smoke this  season.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 08:48:56 PM »

Let's be absolutely honest with ourselves. When we all saw the fixture list, not many of us with any sense whatsoever thought that we would get many (if any) points in August. We'd just come off a losing streak at the end of last season and were down to play a series of the bigger teams in the league - crawley's spending just made it worse.

OK I thought we'd get something at Southport too but apart from that, I expected to lose all the games we have played to date.

In other words, we are 2 points, at best, worse off than I thought we'd be.

What we've GOT to do now s stick together, put it all behind us, and get some points from teams we DID expect to capitalise against.

Last season we had it the other way round and got a little ahead of ourselves thinking we might make the play-offs. This is a reality check and we've got to listen to it. We've still got all the games we thought we had a chance in to play and we've not got to let negativity hinder our chances. Let's get behind the lads and in my opinion if we get something oput of the match on staurday we're on our way back.

A couple of wins will pull us out of the bottom set - let's make sure as supporters we encourage the team to do this sooner rather than later!

Come on you SUPERS!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 08:49:08 PM »

The way football is administered now we might aswell go and overspend,if we do then you get relegated two leagues and start with a clean slate,if you play it 100% by the book you get left behind and end up getting relegated one division,hardly any difference between playing unibond football and playing bsn football,weve tried to be the model club and watch clubs two levels below ours over take us on and off the field,a sad statement,but a true statement....

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 08:53:06 PM »

The way football is administered now we might aswell go and overspend,if we do then you get relegated two leagues and start with a clean slate,if you play it 100% by the book you get left behind and end up getting relegated one division,hardly any difference between playing unibond football and playing bsn football,weve tried to be the model club and watch clubs two levels below ours over take us on and off the field,a sad statement,but a true statement....

I understand your fustration, Hughesy, but we all know you don't really believe that's the way to go. Keep the faith and we'll be back in mid-table before you know it! ;)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

fuertes

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 08:57:40 PM »

Saughall speaks sense. This month coming isn't too bad. Games against teams like Kiddy, Eastbourne and Gateshead aren't easy, but we'll have a chance to gather a few points.

I fancy us to at least draw against Kiddy.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 08:59:20 PM »

Let's be absolutely honest with ourselves. When we all saw the fixture list, not many of us with any sense whatsoever thought that we would get many (if any) points in August. We'd just come off a losing streak at the end of last season and were down to play a series of the bigger teams in the league - crawley's spending just made it worse.

OK I thought we'd get something at Southport too but apart from that, I expected to lose all the games we have played to date.

In other words, we are 2 points, at best, worse off than I thought we'd be.

What we've GOT to do now s stick together, put it all behind us, and get some points from teams we DID expect to capitalise against.

Last season we had it the other way round and got a little ahead of ourselves thinking we might make the play-offs. This is a reality check and we've got to listen to it. We've still got all the games we thought we had a chance in to play and we've not got to let negativity hinder our chances. Let's get behind the lads and in my opinion if we get something oput of the match on staurday we're on our way back.

A couple of wins will pull us out of the bottom set - let's make sure as supporters we encourage the team to do this sooner rather than later!

Come on you SUPERS!

exactly my sentiments Saughall... Totally agree with you

roytonmike

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 09:11:08 PM »

Let's be absolutely honest with ourselves. When we all saw the fixture list, not many of us with any sense whatsoever thought that we would get many (if any) points in August.

Absolute good sense. There were always very strong grounds for a 'nil points' record at the end of August, and anyone who tries to refute that is living in cloud cuckoo land. What is worrying is the absence of any sort of creativity until Crowell's reappearance on Saturday - and one swallow cannot be expected to make a summer, particularly when his ability to take flight has been shackled by enforced inactivity. It may well be that the strike force is inadequate, but as they have been starved of worthwhile ammunition thus far the jury must remain out for now.
Saturday next presents the opportunity - but if we can't get something out of that game the gap between 24th and the 20th place which always has to be our goal, despite the inflated expectations of some, will be worryingly wide. At this point we have 40 games from which to glean 49 points (I always take 50 as the benchmanrk for safety at season's end) so all is far from lost provided we start picking up a few pieces now.

beaker141

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 10:11:40 PM »

Even so, attendances need to be higher and we still haven't got that injection of cash from an investor that's so desperately needed.

I've just checked historic attendances, and this seasons start is pretty much what it has been for the past couple of years at just over an average of 1000 per game.

I'm a new Alty supporter last year, and from what I understand the club has worked hard to pay off large historic debts and get to the great financial stability they have today - and all this on similar if not much lower attendances.

What has changed so much that means this attendance is no longer enough. Realistically it is not going to increase by any significant amount and is similar to many teams in the bottom half of the attendance table for the league last season.

Whilst I love saving money, is it perhaps time to raise the admission prices.

Why are we crying out so much for a substantial investor, would this then give us Crawley firepower and all the trouble of boom and bust?

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 10:20:58 PM »

If I am not mistaken the type of investment the club is looking for is long term rather than someone pumping in cash like there is no tomorrow and then pissing off when he is bored of it all.

What the club needs is a steady drip feed of cash to make us more competitive rather than the Man City / Creepy approach.

At the end of the day we dont want to be going to bed each night worrying when the bubble is going to burst..

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 10:23:40 PM »

If I am not mistaken the type of investment the club is looking for is long term rather than someone pumping in cash like there is no tomorrow and then pissing off when he is bored of it all.

What the club needs is a steady drip feed of cash to make us more competitive rather than the Man City / Creepy approach.

At the end of the day we dont want to be going to bed each night worrying when the bubble is going to burst..

Correct, a long term investor which would help us stabilise ourselves in the BSP.

markecky

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 10:27:01 PM »

The current setup of the board and club would make investment very difficult I fear...
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team