News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Let's get behind the manager

Author Topic: Let's get behind the manager  (Read 2269 times)

NauticaPete

« on: March 12, 2012, 06:52:52 AM »

It annoys me at times that people are so quick to nag and have a dig at the manager whenever something goes wrong. Ok, this is a forum and people have a right to air their opinions. Do people not realise what a hard job he has, planning the tactics, motivating and man-managing 11 individuals in volatile situations. That is psycholigically very tough. Anyone who has been a captian or a coach of a team knows this. From what I have seen this season, we are really playing some great football, a lot of moves are well thought-out, the players are thinking 2-3 passes ahead and making good runs. Long term that can only be a good thing.

And that was really good form to write the apology on the website on saturday. He's human ffs.
So I say get behind Sinnot 100 %, constructive criticism is good, nagging and knee-jerk reactions can be soul-destroying after he's been putting in so much effort.

Remember Alex Ferguson's early years at united.
From Telegraph article (2009):
[Steve]  Bruce helped Ferguson become the most successful manager in the history of English football during his days as United captain but only after the powers-that-be resisted the pressure to sack him in his first few years at the club.
The Sunderland manager will pit his wits against Ferguson on Saturday for the first time since moving to the Stadium of Light doubtful whether anyone can emulate his former mentor's achievements.
"We were awful at times but United gave Sir Alex that vital ingredient: time," Bruce said. "We seem to be wrapped up in getting instant success now. Would another manager, even at United, get the time that Alex was given to get things right? I'd like to think so, but I'm not sure.
"But he got it right and people like me, who played for him, haven't got a hope of copying what he's done. He's incredible."
Speaking ahead of the visit to Old Trafford, added: "Even in the tough times when I first went there, he was driven, he was a winner. He made all of us who played for him better.

taxi Phil

Re: Let's get behind the manager
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 07:17:50 AM »

Good post. Saturday didn't work, but if we don't try different things we don't learn. and we become predictable.

In Lee we (or at least I) trust !

LymmRobin

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 07:44:30 AM »

But everyone in the crowd could see that this particular experiment was not working after 10 minutes.  And why disrupt a winning team?  I do support Lee but some of his decision making is highly questionable.

bumble

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 08:07:02 AM »

NauticaPete

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 08:45:03 AM »

Agree taxi Phil. Ok it didn't work and he should have probably reverted to the usual formation earlier. But he explained his decision in the internet apology, he wanted to try something new seeing as the old formation didn't work in the away game. seems like a logical approach to me. Ok it didn't work this time but it might bear fruit for a different game, maybe with different tactics. My opinion would be that the new formations should be practiced in training a few weeks before.  This is not easy with so little training time. We need to give him a pre-season so he can drill different formations, runs, team shapes that can be altered almost at the flick of a switch.
Timing of runs is one of the hardest things to master, but if you get it right you can get maximum efficiency out of the team (like Germany World cup 2010)

bumble

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 08:57:58 AM »

I think toff made the point

If we'd got beat with 4-4-2, people would claim like in previous games we've got no plan B!

Sinnott will be the first to admit this season hadn't gone smoothly but he promised to put smiles on the fans faces, and some of the play this seaso has been superb -

Given a full pre-season and a chance to get a squad of his own players together (rather than the old guard) theres no reask he can't be successfull  - he found Redshaw,lawrie,Walmsley,Broomes so he can pick the right players

I however still have the issue of leadership on the pitch, and I hope he brings a lawton-esque character in to lead from the front.

I think we'll go up under his reign A's manager

Let's hope this season has been a learning curve for Lee
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 08:59:54 AM by Fatdog »

NauticaPete

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 10:43:01 AM »

Check out this vid:
Cologne manager's reaction after 1-0 league victory over Hertha Berlin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOqx07rVLCU
Shows how much mental energy is invested by managers

The Teasing Squad

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 11:09:25 AM »

Agreed let's get behind him and push him through the exit!

RocketDan

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 01:31:50 PM »

Is this for real? No one is calling for his head, we are simply questioning the tactics, which, by his own admission were poor. I will always get behind the players wearing the shirt on the pitch, but if I think someone has had a bad game I'm well within my rights to write it on here.

As for Lee:

If we win - like on Tuesday night - people will praise him for making subs and getting a result from stalybridge.

If we lose - like on saturday - people criticise him.

That is life, there will always be highs and lows. this is a results business. Lee is big enough the rough with the smooth: take the praise when things go well but expect criticism when things go bad.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 01:34:07 PM by RocketDan »
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team