PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Robbie Lawton
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Robbie Lawton  (Read 5462 times)

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Robbie Lawton
« on: August 02, 2009, 12:39:44 PM »

I believe that he's going to be out for quite some time, due to fact that no one knows what actually is the problem.

I suppose it sorts who'll play in midfield but leaves us without our captain. Now Mcgregor's left it must be Young who'll wear the armband, surley?
Full time and proud of it

Butty

Re: Robbie Lawton
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 12:41:26 PM »

I know the pros and cons of having a goalkeeper as captain have been discussed before, but possibly Coburn?

taxi Phil

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 12:50:10 PM »

Reading "Captain's Log" in yesterday's programme, it sounds like a very long term injury. On the upside it'll stop Graham playing him wide right, though it's not the way THAT problem should be addressed ! I agree that Greg is the logical choice to assume the armband, but we should remember that Matty Crowell skippered Vics last season - and I do prefer leadership from midfield.

fuertes

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 01:00:41 PM »

I think Youngy will make an excellent captain. It's good to have leaders all over the park too, so if Crowell can assume that role in midfield from Lawton then it can only be good for the team.

joe

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 01:22:02 PM »

Young was captain yesterday which i suppose is a good indication

Nonleaguer

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 02:37:59 PM »

Having been at the match yesterday I would fully endorse that Greg Young assume the captaincy in the absence of Robbie Lawton. He see the game and always provides encouragement to all the other team members. I am somewhat sceptical about Crowell being captain material at this stage as on many occasions yesterday he was left exposed. Leadership qualities involving gettinng stuck in and acting as a catalyst for the whole squad, it's not just pointing, shouting and expecting everyone to do the hard graft for you.

Roll on next Saturday when the real battle commences.

RocketDan

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 05:38:40 PM »

Matt Doughty wore it in the second half against trafford, but yeah i imagine Youngy will be our vice captain this season.

baldrick

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 08:19:16 PM »

OK As nobody wants to say it i will, Lawton is not needed anymore.

Jenga

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 09:42:04 PM »

I thought young would be a good captain as well, but back end of last season and indeed yesterday when they opposition score thumping the ground doesnt look good from a captain.

fuertes

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 08:56:35 AM »

OK As nobody wants to say it i will, Lawton is not needed anymore.

No hang on, with Lawton as captain and playing every game we stayed up comfortably last season. That says to me he is still an important part of the squad. There's no sense releasing Robbie and then resorting to full-backs/rubbish loan players in midfield once the injuries and suspensions mount up.

baldrick

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 11:19:31 AM »

We all know GH has his favourites and Lawton is certainly one of them, but the team has improved and trying to fit Lawton in will cause more problems than it solves. He looks likely to be out for a long time and with only fifteen outfield players there is no room for more injuries. This season the main problems will again be fitness and a small squad. Burton came back from two down because they were fitter. I can see this happening a lot.

fuertes

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 11:48:22 AM »

We all know GH has his favourites and Lawton is certainly one of them, but the team has improved and trying to fit Lawton in will cause more problems than it solves. He looks likely to be out for a long time and with only fifteen outfield players there is no room for more injuries. This season the main problems will again be fitness and a small squad. Burton came back from two down because they were fitter. I can see this happening a lot.

I totally disagree. Firstly, I think it would be very poor form to tell Robbie we don't need him anymore. Secondly, he has proved he is good enough to captain an Alty side finishing in mid-table, and as such is a good member of our squad.

I accept we sometimes suffer with the lads being dead on their feet at the end of a game. However, didn't Burton change almost their entire team on Saturday? They were bound to look fresher in second half.

It seems GH is looking to pass the ball through midfield a bit more this season. Hopefully that should help with preserving energy. After all, punting and rushing is a very tiring tactic. Knocking the ball about means you have to run far less and the opposition has to waste energy by pressing.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 11:53:55 AM »

Everything else aside, you do not release players who have an injury it is poor form. I for one hope Robbie gets fit again and challenges for his place.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

baldrick

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 12:50:21 PM »

Everything else aside, you do not release players who have an injury it is poor form. I for one hope Robbie gets fit again and challenges for his place.
Val Owen was released because he was always injured. With such a small squad it is important to have everyone fit. I am not saying Lawton should be released because of his injury, i just feel that trying to build the team around him is wrong.

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 01:03:09 PM »

Val Owen was released because he was always injured. With such a small squad it is important to have everyone fit. I am not saying Lawton should be released because of his injury, i just feel that trying to build the team around him is wrong.

val owen was held on the books for nearly two years before he was released. robbie will get fit again, we will still see a return in expenditure from him, as club captain his spirit would be perfect.

club captain robbie lawton
first team captain greg young.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Robbie Lawton