PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Thats a Turnup!
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Thats a Turnup!  (Read 5770 times)

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Thats a Turnup!
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 03:22:43 PM »

How fans can slag off and hate a player and then suddenly sing his name and love him ?. I know I'd hate a Macc \ Vics player no matter what and would not want them to do well.. and would NEVER sing his name.. Seems a bit hypocritcal to me

And this is different from when a player signs for Alty from M*cc or V*cs? How exactly?

Irish fans don't suffer from this disease anyway (thankfully). Not all fans of international teams are the same and that includes the England fans.

Not understanding how another fan thinks a certain way is hardly a reason for not supporting a team...if that were the case none of us would support Alty.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Narcissist

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 03:46:49 PM »

It always amazes me how many club fans (from all clubs, although usually United fans  ::)) who want to see England fail or profess to not being bothered about them etc.

This is way off the mark. There's always been club fans who support England and those who don't. I wouldn't say Man United sprouted any more or less England dissenters than anyone else. Merseyside clubs are a different matter, but then if you were hated by every other part of the country and spent the last few decades as social and economic outcasts then nobody would be that suprised if you didn't feel that much pride in following this great nation.

I'm proud to be English, but I'm still not that arsed about England as a national team. I hate everything it stands for, including the never ending dissapointment spurred on by our bloody media.

Now cricket, there's a national team to follow, no outrageous expectations and no ego's running around slowly weighed down by the cash dripping from their greedy pockets. Footballs enough to make me sick sometimes.

Longman

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 04:01:08 PM »

It always amazes me how many club fans (from all clubs, although usually United fans  ::)) who want to see England fail or profess to not being bothered about them etc.

This is way off the mark. There's always been club fans who support England and those who don't. I wouldn't say Man United sprouted any more or less England dissenters than anyone else. Merseyside clubs are a different matter, but then if you were hated by every other part of the country and spent the last few decades as social and economic outcasts then nobody would be that suprised if you didn't feel that much pride in following this great nation.

I'm proud to be English, but I'm still not that arsed about England as a national team. I hate everything it stands for, including the never ending dissapointment spurred on by our bloody media.

Now cricket, there's a national team to follow, no outrageous expectations and no ego's running around slowly weighed down by the cash dripping from their greedy pockets. Footballs enough to make me sick sometimes.

Are you serious here!?  Have you ever heard what United sing or been to Old Trafford??

I have heard thousands of them singing "you can stick your f*cking England up your arse" are chanting "Argentina", yes I know that is in reference to their Argie players, however it is also a stab at England. 

Oh and lets not forget that one they sing about "That boy Ronaldo making England look sh*te"  ::)

Longman

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 04:07:31 PM »

Oh yes I knew I'd get a bite mate with Little Englanders... I love it really.. Painted faces and that band .. WOW !!! ha ha ... and the question is have I ever jumped up when England scored in those games ?? and that includes the one where scraped through against Greece and average freekick taker Beckham scored his 1 in 15  .. I was next to Beez for that one and didn't flinch :)

Yeah I like fotoball so why not watch an England game if ticket was available. I have watched Rugby Town, Flixton, Trafford and various other teams just for 'something to do' whilst Alty aren't playing...

Sod it I'll give you one reason why I don't get it ..

How fans can slag off and hate a player and then suddenly sing his name and love him ?. I know I'd hate a Macc \ Vics player no matter what and would not want them to do well.. and would NEVER sing his name.. Seems a bit hypocritcal to me

What do you mean by little Englanders?

James Jennings, Richard Battersby, Darren Tinson - all ex Macc and Vics who've played for us very recently, is this not the same thing?

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 04:15:37 PM »

Lets begin with Man U. They hate England mostly cos what happened to Beckham and how the media and 'England "Fans" had a go at him. I think thats justified to be honest and as much as I dislike Man U fair play to them cos I know I would stick up for any Alty player over any national team.

No not the same thing at all. How many times did I sing Tinsons name ? Vics is a bad example I suppose as its not really the same hatred. A player to JOIN you club is different to a player playing for another team. Yes that is hypocritical but this is NOT the same as these are fans who would hate the player on a Satdee, cheer for him on Tues\wed and then go back to hating him the following satdee.  plus the pathetic scenes you see of so called fans booing after 10mins of a game.. Its just , as I said PATHETIC !

I am not explaining the "Little Englanders" as its a common phrase  that is used as far as I'm concerned.

OHHHHH let the band play !!!!

Alex

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 04:26:45 PM »

i think only a certain Mr Little has been fully forgiven for playing for the enemy lol but as for the whole club vs country argument, i don't think there is an answer, some people just don't find international football appealing (no matter what the country) it doesn't mean there any less proud of there national identity. i missed the rule when i started watching football that stated : " if you follow a football team you must be enthusiastic about your national team and care what they do. to be disapointed that they didn't put 7 past a group of part timers (even though we ourselves take offence when bigger teams than us say such things) then 4 days later be saying how amazing the national team is and have the press calling the manager a genious. you must expect them to win every tournament even though they haven't won one since the sixty's, and it should be a national outrage when we get knocked out of said tournament, blaming everyone and everything that is humanly possible (without coming to the conclusion that there are actually countrys out there that are better than your national side)" sorry for the rant but i've slowly gotten more annoyed during the day of people in my office who have been saying how f'ing wonderful England are when only yesterday they were the biggest pile of w*nk they'd ever seen, they weren't even going to watch the match they loved england that much - maybe thats an example of the type of england fans that annoy people.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 04:29:44 PM by The Duke »

Narcissist

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 04:31:00 PM »

Are you serious here!?  Have you ever heard what United sing or been to Old Trafford??

I have heard thousands of them singing "you can stick your f*cking England up your arse" are chanting "Argentina", yes I know that is in reference to their Argie players, however it is also a stab at England. 

Oh and lets not forget that one they sing about "That boy Ronaldo making England look sh*te"  ::)

I know plenty of lads who go to old trafford and sing all the songs home and away. They also follow England, some of them away.

When I go home at night I don't ask the mrs to show me the end of her feet in some kind of fettish and contrary to what you may have heard  me say on the popular side on saturday my WC is white and not green and white. However I am alty till i die and I do hate macc town.

I guess my point is most people sing along whether they agree or not. And most people aren't just professing to not be bothered about England, they actually arent regardless of who they support, its not isolated to Man U.

Longman

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 04:32:13 PM »

Lets begin with Man U. They hate England mostly cos what happened to Beckham and how the media and 'England "Fans" had a go at him. I think thats justified to be honest and as much as I dislike Man U fair play to them cos I know I would stick up for any Alty player over any national team.

No not the same thing at all. How many times did I sing Tinsons name ? Vics is a bad example I suppose as its not really the same hatred. A player to JOIN you club is different to a player playing for another team. Yes that is hypocritical but this is NOT the same as these are fans who would hate the player on a Satdee, cheer for him on Tues\wed and then go back to hating him the following satdee.  plus the pathetic scenes you see of so called fans booing after 10mins of a game.. Its just , as I said PATHETIC !

I am not explaining the "Little Englanders" as its a common phrase  that is used as far as I'm concerned.

OHHHHH let the band play !!!!

I think it's quite sad that someone can't shelve their club allegiances for 90 minutes to support their national team, at the end of the day they are all footballers making a career out of the game, you can't blame them for playing for another club.  We all have club rivalries up and down the country.  At the end of the day do you actually 'hate' a Macclesfield or a Northwich fan?  Humankind goes alot deeper than that, it is only when it comes to the matter of the game and the actual football that the rivalry comes into play and we abuse one another etc.  If I found out someone I had been chatting to was a Northwich fan and we had been getting on well it would'nt make me hate them all of a sudden.

At the end of the day we are an island of fellow countrymen bound uniquely by a love of brown sauce and dry humour.

Alty & England for me.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2008, 04:38:21 PM »

Hate is a strong word.. I HATE Macc and everything to do with the place.

You think its 'sad' where I think its more 'honest' and not changing opinions. I have them and stick by them, I don't swap and change my opinions on something\someone and I do not think that is sad at all. I'd rather be someone like that than two faced.

International football does not appeal to me. And thats ANY football on TV, I feel detached from it and would rather support Alty as they are the club who I watch EVERY WEEK and care about. I can't get excited at 'TV' Footy .. My opinion and sorry will never change

ALTY TIL I DIE.

Longman

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 04:39:46 PM »

i think only a certain Mr Little has been fully forgiven for playing for the enemy lol but as for the whole club vs country argument, i don't think there is an answer, some people just don't find international football appealing (no matter what the country) it doesn't mean there any less proud of there national identity. i missed the rule when i started watching football that stated : " if you follow a football team you must be enthusiastic about your national team and care what they do. to be disapointed that they didn't put 7 past a group of part timers (even though we ourselves take offence when bigger teams than us say such things) then 4 days later be saying how amazing the national team is and have the press calling the manager a genious. you must expect them to win every tournament even though they haven't won one since the sixty's, and it should be a national outrage when we get knocked out of said tournament, blaming everyone and everything that is humanly possible (without coming to the conclusion that there are actually countrys out there that are better than your national side)" sorry for the rant but i've slowly gotten more annoyed during the day of people in my office who have been saying how f'ing wonderful England are when only yesterday they were the biggest pile of w*nk they'd ever seen, they weren't even going to watch the match they loved england that much - maybe thats an example of the type of england fans that annoy people.

They annoy me as much as they annoy you, I can't stand these people who slag England off all the time and then appear in the pub when it's World Cup or Euro's time with their replica shirt on!  Unfortunately you get that with every team, it's just magnified by about 48 million people when it's England!!

Alex

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 04:43:07 PM »

very true mate, i have no problem with the england national team it's self. i like to see them do well (why wouldn't i? i live here) but it's the fans i describe that annoy me - it's the same with the people you never see at alty then suddenly apear when we have a big cup game

Longman

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2008, 04:45:09 PM »

Hate is a strong word.. I HATE Macc and everything to do with the place.

You think its 'sad' where I think its more 'honest' and not changing opinions. I have them and stick by them, I don't swap and change my opinions on something\someone and I do not think that is sad at all. I'd rather be someone like that than two faced.

International football does not appeal to me. And thats ANY football on TV, I feel detached from it and would rather support Alty as they are the club who I watch EVERY WEEK and care about. I can't get excited at 'TV' Footy .. My opinion and sorry will never change

ALTY TIL I DIE.

I'm not saying you are sad, i'm saying I find it sad that we as a nation can't shelve allegiances and come together as one and all get behind the national team of the game we love - footy!!

I completely understand what you say about feeling detatched from top level football, I feel the same and that is one of the best things about Alty is the connection and significance fans have with the club.  What I am saying is that I cannot just switch off my support for my national team, no matter what.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2008, 04:49:37 PM »

I wouldn't say "Switch off" cos that implies when the going gets tough I am not interested. If England won the World Cup I wouldn't celebrate but I certainly wouldn't try and ruin any parties. If you like that sort of thing go for it but it is of no interested to me and I think pretty much everyone that knows me knows that. I even asked the score this morning as two girls who never talk about footy were talkin about how 'great' the game was, and too be honest I forget England were playin, so it was 10am when I found out it was 4-1.

As said Club and Club only at Football... Just have no interest in International Football whatsoever.

Longman

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2008, 04:56:34 PM »

I wouldn't say "Switch off" cos that implies when the going gets tough I am not interested. If England won the World Cup I wouldn't celebrate but I certainly wouldn't try and ruin any parties. If you like that sort of thing go for it but it is of no interested to me and I think pretty much everyone that knows me knows that. I even asked the score this morning as two girls who never talk about footy were talkin about how 'great' the game was, and too be honest I forget England were playin, so it was 10am when I found out it was 4-1.

As said Club and Club only at Football... Just have no interest in International Football whatsoever.

Fair enough.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2008, 05:01:39 PM »

Can I just add, a turnup as opposed to a turnip. I wonder if the Scum headline was a typo? (Swedes two Turnups one).  :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Thats a Turnup!